Subaru pulling out of the WRC??!!

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Goalie, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goalie

Goalie MNSubaru Goaltender

2. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

oh dear god :eek2:

3. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

What Honda does for F1...

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

After Solberg and Atkinson both said the new car was better than the last chassis??

5. nm+

nm+ Professional Hypocrite

Unpossible

6. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

The 2010 rules mean that Subaru does not even have a car that can be used in WRC.

My roommate is a huge rally nut, and he basically said that Subaru if EFFFFFFFFFFFFED in terms of the upcoming rules.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Sorry I'm out of the loop on that rule.

8. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

oh well, life will go on.

9. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Basically, WRC will be Super2000 cars, and Subaru does not have a car in that realm. Nor will they in that fast of a timeframe. It takes too long to develop a car in the automotive world for them to have a car ready for 2011.

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

So it is a privateer based rally car?

11. Goalie

This and I'm sure the huge expense during difficult times for the auto industry contribute to the pull out.

12. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

HUH? S2000 is almost a K-car, and with our drivetrain layout, Subaru is pretty much screwed in terms of using that platform. I highly doubt they will spend dozens of millions of dollars to develop a car and drivetrain to compete in the WRC, and sell a few cars. Too bad, really. WRC without Subaru could mean the death of the WRC in general. I actually cannot believe the FIA would do this knowing they would cut out one of the last three marks in the sport.

13. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

With the new rules, will Mitsu be able to compete?

Or have they already pulled out?

I'm a bit out of the rally loop.

14. snbrd4evr

snbrd4evr Well-Known Member

I'm just going to refuse to believe it. If I don't acknowledge it, it doesn't happen... at least I hope :(

Mitsu has been out for a while

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

WhyTF would they run FWD chassis cars only? I'm reading about those that are Super 2000 and that seems to be the only type of cars in that class.

16. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

No, AWD is permitted, and it seems a small turbo as well, but the changes put Subaru out to pasture in terms of having a viable car.

17. Soupboy

Effing pathetic.

Why not make Ford and Chevy arbitrarily obsolete for NASCAR? Wait, that would be a good idea.

18. StatGSR

StatGSR Well-Known Member

what about the toyotabru?

19. sniper1rfa

sniper1rfa New Member

Meh, subaru hasn't been doing so well lately, anyway.

They gotta keep up - can't just keep leaning on past achievements.

20. scoobypwnz201

scoobypwnz201 Well-Known Member

FIA has been screwing itself..isnt there like only a VERY VERY SMALL select few car brands that are in WRC? if subaru pulls out..this sport is about to kiss its ass goodbye...these rules are getting more and more stupid as the years go on

21. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

What are these S2000 regs, in a nutshell?

22. ortho004

ortho004 Well-Known Member

Check it out on wikipedia, or click on the blue link in soupboy's post, good general information on Wikipedia that I am assuming is correct.

23. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

no no it will not... now Your sales department will power tour with the Big 3 execs to get a bailout cause all the know it all fanboiys will no longer buy these cars... cause they will no longer be able to say I drive a rally car...

24. Moleness

Eeeeeeewwwwww! Do not like :(

25. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

^ditto :(

26. ortho004

ortho004 Well-Known Member

Is there a problem with wikipedia?

27. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Yeah, there are lots of problems with Wikipedia. But I think he's referring to the S2000 specs on the wiki page, not Wikipedia itself.

28. Moleness

This is correct. My IQ has went up 15 points since Wikipedia was invented, lol. But yes, the specs seem like they will make things a lot less interesting, subaru or no subaru.

29. readymix

Wikipedia is an MMORPG, not an encyclopedia like everyone thinks. There are people that contribute stuff to that site, whether right or wrong, and depending on how powerful their character is in the game determines if the entry is kept...which earns them more points to level up their character. Some users join together to make "guilds" where they go around muscling their personal view of the correct 'facts' and then use their powerful characters to fend off 'edits' which are attacks in wikipedia world.

30. Impreza 2.2 T AWD

Impreza 2.2 T AWD New Member

FAIL compelete and utter FAIL. meh i'm just gonna buy another GC anywayz that was a rally car once right? Next rule for the WRC and vehicle with tires can't compete!!!!

31. Soupboy

Good info. Can anyone confirm if the "Super 2000" description is even directionally accurate? Regardless, this makes me mad enough to become an even bigger lesbian.:biggrin:

32. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

Thats sad to hear.

At least we still got RallyAmerica, right? Or do they change rules with WRC?

33. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

doubt it. the problem with the S2000 regs is it requires use of a 3rd-party-built transverse inline 4 engine and gearbox. even if they didn't have to design a whole new drivetrain, they'd have to redesign the car. the reason the companies that are staying in are able to do so, is they can just drop it into a already existing chassis.

it sucks, but I'd rather see them drop out than try to design a car that fits those specs (as that would probably lead to a switch to transverse i4s in their production cars as well)

34. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Fox News does what??:laugh::laugh:

Really, it is going to be a sport that will fail on a larger level and fall back to the grass roots of the sport. Next thing as the teams pull out, then revenue goes down, then the tv contracts dry up, then they have no money coming in, then no news coverage, etc, etc, etc, until you have pretty much what we have in the states.

Russ

35. sputnam

sputnam Vendor

PRESS RELEASE

16 December 2008

Subaru to withdraw from World Rally Championship

Subaru has announced its decision to withdraw from the 2009 World Rally Championship.

This sudden decision was in response to the widespread economic downturn that is affecting the entire automotive industry, and follows Suzuki’s withdrawal announced yesterday.

After 20 years in the sport, during which time the Prodrive-run Subaru World Rally Team has won six World Rally Championship titles, this is not only sad news for Subaru and the team, but also for millions of rallying fans around the world. Thanks to its highly successful World Rally Championship programme, Subaru has developed into one of the world’s most widely recognised and evocative automotive brands.

Prodrive chairman, David Richards, said: “Subaru’s departure from the World Rally Championship is a great loss as it is one of the sport’s icons. The Subaru World Rally Team has created true champions such as Colin McRae and Richard Burns and its absence will be felt by many the world over. Although this decision closes a significant chapter in Prodrive’s history, our focus now turns to the future.â€

For many, Prodrive and Subaru are synonymous, given the long-standing and close association between the two companies. However, while the Subaru World Rally Team historically represented a significant part of Prodrive’s business, today it accounts for no more than 20 per cent of the company’s turnover.

Prodrive will look to redeploy as many of the rally team as possible in other areas of its business operations, which have grown to span advanced engineering and manufacturing for the automotive, defence, marine and aerospace industries, in addition to other motorsport programmes.

Despite the current economic downturn, Prodrive’s automotive engineering business remains buoyant as it works with vehicle manufacturers to accelerate the development of next generation fuel-efficient vehicles and alternative fuel technologies.

Together with Subaru, Prodrive’s commitment to its customer rally teams will also continue unabated for 2009 and beyond. Over the past 15 years, Prodrive has sold close to 500 rally cars to more than 400 private competitors and independent rally teams in 47 countries. During this time, Prodrive’s customers have won five consecutive Production World Rally Championships and countless international rallies. In 2008, Prodrive-supported customer teams have claimed eight rally championship titles around the world.

Looking ahead, 2010 will see the introduction of new World Rally Championship technical regulations, which provide Prodrive with an opportunity to prepare for re-entering the championship with a new team and build on its 24 years of World Rally Championship experience and success.

36. stoooo

stoooo Well-Known Member

37. scoobypwnz201

scoobypwnz201 Well-Known Member

well we still have rally america right?! :D

38. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing Stooo. I was really hoping to get an inside front row report of all the action with you on location. This really does stink! :emo:

39. putz

putz Well-Known Member

wow...

I never thought I'd see this day.

40. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

From a financial standpoint I understand where they are coming from. Rough times are ruff, and spending close to a million dollars per car probably isn't in their best interest at the moment.

It's too bad though. I did like the fact that a top-level motorsport car is related (a little bit, lol) to the one I drive everyday.

41. Goalie

You have to wonder how much of a research and development hit this is for subaru cars in general specially for imprezas. Hopefully Imprezas remain rally inspired cars, and they don't just become the brand's econo car

42. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I don't think that Subaru is going to drastically change anything over this. The WRC didn't dictate the Impreza design. Marketing and sales do. Car companies evolve and change as the times and economic climate dictate. It stinks that they've got to pull out, but if they're not going to be able to put forward a competitive car then I'd rather they put that money into something else, as it'll only benefit them and the customers.

43. readymix

Haha, yep, they play the game, and I think they have multiple characters in play at the same time.

44. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I'm waiting for the CS version of Wikipedia where people post up articles whilst shooting everyone around them.

45. readymix

Yeah, eventually they'll move to a windowed program that allows you to monitor your lands (articles) in different windows so you can coordinate attacks and take on multiple players at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.