Subaru Storage

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by subie-roo, Jan 12, 2018.

1. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

Hello Subaru family!!

Today I found out I will be relocating out of state and need to find temporary storage for my beloved 05 Legacy GT wagon. Does anyone have experience with vehicle storage or recommendations of local storage units?

I hate the idea of leaving it behind but I don’t think I will be able to get it until late spring.

I appreciate the help! Pic for attention.
    2554CC1F-3FA5-4E7C-BDFC-CF8C94A7EA46.jpeg

klutz likes this.
  2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

It worked. Gawd she’s pretty!

Make sure that it’s somewhere that you don’t have to worry about mice! Dem lil bastards.

3. subie-roo

Yes she is pretty :)! The nice part is we are looking at properties that will increase out Subaru storage so the LGT, STI and winter wagon will all have bedrooms (or so I can add a 1st gen TLeg or Impreza to the family).

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Leave the car and the keys at my place. I'll make sure it stays safe :p

pcwerk and drac77 like this.
  5. subie-roo

Are you serious or kidding? Because that sounds crazy enough to work.

6. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

32fb29507dbc4c5008a87d9c1390a61d.jpg
    I can see this happening.

JuStaWRX, Mnelson, pcwerk and 7 others like this.
  7. Silky21L

Silky21L Well-Known Member

I rented some space at braham storage. Indoor cold storage, cheap, couple nice old corvettes and really expensive boats in there too. Youll probably want a car cover though.

8. tangledupinblu

Yeah, the cold storages that i’ve used definitely required mouse prevention ie:moth balls, dryer sheets, Decon, traps

9. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

You could just put a cat and a litter box in it.

10. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Beat me to it, only I was going to say, whatever you do do NOT accept an offer from Derp to keep your car while you are gone.

11. Mnelson

I can't really work on my other car right now so the second stall is basically empty.... If I didn't have old cabinets in there, I'd be dead serious.

Though I'd hate for something to happen while the house is being remodeled.

12. subie-roo

Will do, thanks!
    If it could work, let me know. It probably won’t be until early March considering I still need to sell my house. I’d drive it down in March but with summer tires, TGV deletes and E85, winter driving is a near impossibility.

She still needs to spend a little time at JM getting an AOS installed and some dyno time so I can run something other than corn if need be. We are only moving a few states away so I’ll be driving it there when the time comes, and hopefully to the LAX cruise as well.

13. Mnelson

I daily my sti with tgv deletes and e85, but I tuned it and change things when I have problems :p. How long would you need it there? Maybe pm me for details?

14. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

How about you just sell it to me? You really don't need it anyway.......right? I mean, IIRC, you already have an Outback. I could always use silver another wagon! :thumbup:

15. subie-roo

Tempting.....I’m not sure I’ll ever sell it, all things considered I’ll probably be buried in it. And if your H6 is even half as temperamental as my wagons it would start sobbing necessary engine fluids or throw a catastrophic temper tantrum the minute you give your attention to another wagon. ;)

16. subie-roo

How bad are your cold starts? The colder it is the more severe mine become (really only when it has sat overnight). Devin has worked on it to improve it, which he has greatly, but in this weather it will take me multiple tries sometimes.

If I don’t find a solution I’ll PM you when I know more. Looking at properties next week.

17. Mnelson

95% of my cold starts are 1 try but I have flex fuel so it knows exactly how much ethanol is in the fuel lines. I did have the problem where it would fire right up and then die but I fixed that. The problem with e85 and starting mostly came from my scale/blend maps being wrong. The more ethanol you have the more precise you need to be on crank fueling. If you have too much or too little fuel, it dies.

It does crank way slower on ethanol but that's to be expected. When that happens it starts and runs much better if I hold the key till it fires.

Im happy to share my crank tables with devin if he doesn't feel like it's an insult to his work :p I will say it took me months to get it this way and it's not perfect.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    subie-roo likes this.
  18. housemusic1

Yeah, I hear that! I almost put mine up for sale recently, but I just couldn't do it. Its my first Subaru, and I've got so much invested in it, that there's no possible way I could ever recoup my investment. I'm shooting for 300K miles, but she'll need to spend some time @ JM if that's going to become possible.

subie-roo likes this.
  19. Mnelson

Oh and if you get past the fueling issues, I have some all seasons that you can borrow to get out town. Then you wouldn't need to leave the car in mn.

subie-roo likes this.
  20. subie-roo

I’m 90% sure it would fire up and get me there, although the coldest I’ve ran it was probably at 20F. It didn’t start on the first crank but once it did start it didn’t want to quit.

Thanks for the offer on the all seasons!! That could work, we’re only moving about 350 miles from MN, pretty easy road trip and I’m going to have her spend a day or so at JM making sure everything is buttoned up before the move. Me or the hubby will be coming back to MN pretty frequently until summer and could easily drop them back off. I’ll PM you of needed.

21. subie-roo

You could always sell it to me, I don’t have an H6 in the mix yet :p

22. tangledupinblu

Then you’re not living life to full potential yet!

Krazylegz1485 and subie-roo like this.
  23. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

I also have a set of 5x100 17" all seasons you could use till spring when I go to put them back on my wagon. Nitto Neo Gen's are what I have on my summer wheels for the wagon.

subie-roo likes this.
  24. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I didn't read all of the replies, but I've been storing my 2nd car over winters for the last...4 years or so. Here are my recommendations:

1. Look for storage garages on Craigslist. They are significantly cheaper than going to a storage complex place. Many landlords rent out extra garage spaces at their rental properties. You should be able to find one for under $200 a month.
    2. Check out the garage in person before signing the lease. My last storage garage was "shared" access with no extra room besides room for my car. My new storage garage is bigger, cheaper, and basically only me that has access to it. I will say that garage rentals typically move fast on Craigslist.

Here is my storage routine:
    Exterior detail (@idget :thumbup:)
    Change oil
    Summer tires: bag up and store at 50+ degrees. Store on crappy/all season tires.
    Air up tires (40 psi)
    Sta-bil in gas, full tank
    Plastic sheets on ground (moisture barrier). You can buy these at the dollar store. If the dollar store doesn't have any in stock, about 4 of the plastic table cloths will work.
    Cover tail pipe (aluminium foil and rubberband works well)
    Cover air intake if possible
    Pull battery, put on tender, I generally charge it once a week
    Silica gel packs or trays of rice in cabin
    Out of gear, no handbrake, chock tire
    Car cover
    Dry socks around car
    Mouse prevention (dryer sheets, mouse traps around garage, plug entry holes in garage with Great Stuff, etc)
    Leave yourself a note in the car with reminder of things to do/remove before starting in spring. Maybe some predictions of the future too?
    When starting for the first time in spring, clutch in, gas pedal to the floor (stops it from starting) and crank engine for 1-2 seconds, repeat 2-3 times, to build oil pressure before starting. Then start normally and let er rip!

PS, don't start it at all when storing it for a long period, unless you're going to start it up and drive it for 15-20 minutes. Otherwise it won't get up to temp at an idle, and you won't burn off the moisture that you've created by starting it. Let it sit til spring (or whenever you're ready to drive it).

PS #2, it sounds like you're on E85 correct? I would advise AGAINST storing it with a tank of E85. E85 is very hygroscopic (meaning it soaks up water...ethanol is an alcohol, alcohols absorbs water very well. Also the cause for hangovers :dead:). While E85 itself is not corrosive, water is. I would recommend getting a basic 93 or 91 tune and run 2-3 tanks of 93/91 before filling up and adding sta-bil and storing. Edit: I re-read your post and that it will only be in storage for a few months (late spring?). They now make fuel treatment for fuels with Ethanol, but I'm not 100% sure if it is designed for E85 (it might only be for the usual E5-E15 fuels that are at nearly every pump). If it is short term, these fuel stabilizer for ethanol fuels might be worth looking into so you don't have to switch to 93/91.

Todd and jubella2 like this.
  25. subie-roo

I am on E85 and did reach out to Driven Racing regarding their fuel stabilizer, Storage Defender, which they assured me will work with E85. It's only been stored since December, and I followed the routine you described pretty closely. I never start it "just for fun" and have a pest service for mice, etc. , although I imagine you can never be too careful. I have since found out that we are moving, and will need to find a temporary home for the grocery getter if I can't bring it with me right away. Since the move will most likely be in mid-March, I am hoping the weather is nice enough for me to drive it on the ****ty BRZ summer tires that I am running.
    I will need to get it to JM for an AOS installation and 91 or 93 tune prior to my departure, even though I am moving near Six Star Motorsports Jesse and his team have spent quite a bit of time and effort on my car, and I would like to have them finish it up for me.

26. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Oh nice, well sounds like you're on top of it. Glad to hear Six Star is still in business...that was one of the first subie shops that I ever went to (I used to live in chicagoland for a brief time). Actually there was a Subaru shop at that location that went under, but Six Star took over right as I was leaving the area.

My storage garage actually has two stalls, and I'm only storing my FRS for the long term. I'd offer up the second spot, however my Forester is sitting there until it sells. If it sells quick, I might be open to letting you keep your car there until March.

27. subie-roo

If your forester sells let me know, I don’t plan on leaving it here long, and may not even need to depending on how the whole selling/buying nonsense works out.

28. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Sounds good, will do.

29. subie-roo

Thanks peeps for your offers and guidance. With our closing date moved up I’ve decided to ship the wagon instead of storing it or trying to find a driver.

On that note, Mecum Auto Transportation is the way to go if you ever need your Subie (or whatever your into) shipped.

30. subie-roo

43A266D2-4DBA-492B-B658-9C20C349CE4F.jpeg And off she went.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  31. housemusic1

Next stop.....my garage? I've got an H6 wagon with your name on it!

subie-roo likes this.
  32. subie-roo

Shoot...too late. The Leggy was delivered late last night and is tucked away safely until we close in two weeks.

33. housemusic1

Well, I'm glad she got transported safely. I've heard some horror stories about shipping vehicles. Looks like they did it the right way.

subie-roo likes this.
  34. subie-roo

Mecum did a great job, were reasonably priced and communicated throughout the process. And it was pretty cool to have the grocery getter hang out with some beautiful cars on the truck too!;)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  35. Krazylegz1485

Any pics?

36. subie-roo

I wasn’t there for the pick-up and my husband only got a few crappy pics.
    There was a 1969 Shelby GT 350 fastback, and a 1969 AMC AMX that he could see.

Attached Files:

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  37. Krazylegz1485

That's a nice ass...