Suspension project questions

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by boone1186, May 5, 2013.

1. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

All right people I've decided I'm replacing some suspension components. I'm leaning towards Koni yellows and swift or epic springs. That part I don't need help with, but what I do want to ask is: While I'm in the midst of replacing the struts/springs what else should consider replacing? That is besides sways/end links which I'll do at a later time. I've researched and I'm thinking about an anti lift kit. I'd just like some input from some of you guys who have been in my shoes before. Also, are there any other parts I'll need to complete the project which I may overlook? My car is a street car which may see a track a couple times a year. What I'm trying to achieve is better handling while maintaining ride comfort and lower the car an inch or so to eliminate the fender gap.

2. John Yang

John Yang Well-Known Member

i'd go about doing brake jobs while you are at it..

3. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

I would if I had the cash. I'm inquiring more about suspension related stuff

4. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

the next thing on the mod list that is attached to your strut, that will give you the most bang for your buck is a set of camber plates.
    it'll give you considerably more adjustability in your suspension, and if installed correctly, more caster than an ALK.

Priorities for making the best handling car you can are generally:
    1. Tires
    2. Alignment
    3. Shocks
    4. Spring Rate

5. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Camber plates were another part I was eyeballing. So struts/springs/camber plates would be a good idea.. I think I'll start there. Any opinion on swift vs. epic springs? They seem to both have roughly the same specs.

6. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

I know that swift springs have been around for awhile and have been very well received, and epic springs have not been around as long, but I have not heard a single bad thing about them. (Posted by someone who spends too much time on the internet)

7. Shane86

I like swift, as their crazy low wind rate allows for more travel before coil bind and a very linear spring rate. They also fair well in quality testing when it comes to rate accuracy. They've also been around since about 2006, and have been considered an upgrade on most coil over springs

I just read some reviews of epic, not much bad, but i don't know the history, rate, etc. it sounds like they're more geared towards comfort with a progressive rate spring, which may not be a bad option either.

8. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

It all depends on what you want to do with your car. You state its a DD, do you mind a firmer ride to go with the handling? Going from stock/other top hats to something like a camber plate will often have a very noticeable variance in your ride quality.

I had Koni's on my old 03 wrx for about 5 years, loved them. Had them on my 2012 wrx, and they were off in months.

9. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

I honesty don't want to sacrifice much ride quality as 95% of my miles driven are "normal". Apart of me wants to let that idea go, but when it comes down to it I think I'd regret a noticeably harsher ride. Lessening the fender gap and improving handling is the ideal outcome I want to achieve. Camber plates may be overkill for my needs, but what about aftermarket strut mounts?

10. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Leaning towards swift as reputation/credibility go a long way in my book. Thanks for input.

11. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

I had whiteline com c strut mounts. They can add additional camber and caster, yet still maintain a great ride quality.

12. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

For my application do I really need to adjust camber and caster?

13. Shane86

Additional caster is just about one of the best things you can do to a subaru suspension.
    Adding caster adds dynamic camber, so when you turn the wheel, you actually gain camber.

An ALK effectively is just away to get 1-2 deg more camber, but it does it at the sacrafice of lowering the piviot point of the control arm. Adding caster at the top, through the strut hat, doesn't have that negative effect.

adding static camber also helps big time with planting the wheel more flatly as the suspension loads up.

The Com C strut tops that KA-T_240 recommended, accomplishes both of those things in one, while still giving you some rubber bushing to help reduce vibrations and noise. it's a great package. it won't give you the adjustability of a set of camber plates, but it will ride much nicer.

14. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

So with the comp C strut tops I'll be utilizing my suspension components more effectively while gaining a better ride.. Sounds good to me. Only thing is they put me over my current budget. Can I install them at a later time and use the OEM strut mounts for the time being?

15. Shane86

yup.
    you'll have to pull the front suspension apart to do it, but you can install everything you've ordered with the stock top hats.

16. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Any other group N top hats that are compatible with a 2010 WRX that you guys know of? Com c seem to be the only budget friendly parts I can find. Would OEM STi top hats work?

17. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Hey Boone1186,
    I have subscribed to this thread, as I am interested in similar changes for my 04 WRX. If you are not comfortable sharing no worries, but I am just curious what kind of price totals are you looking at before labor/budget you have for this project? I am pretty sure I have a leaky strut but hoping that it may hold up a little longer. I have similar goals to you in outcome. I will stay tuned to this thread to see what you decide and how you like it. Good luck with it all!

18. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Not a problem. I'll be sure to follow up.

19. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

With that said. Anyone feel its necessary for me to run com-c top hats in the rear or I was thinking of replacing current with new OEM?

20. Shane86

I'm sure subaru produced group N top hats, but the only advantage they offer is that they are moderately stiffer material. no additional camber/caster.
    AFAIK, STI top hats are the same as the WRX top hats.
    You can just use your existing top hats.
    I haven't seen com-c top hats for the rear in anything, and honestly, you wouldn't really want them. The WRX generally doesn't need any more rear camber than what it comes with unless you're hardcore tracking, and in your case, the strut doesn't actually control any alignment settings in the rear. most people using com-c fronts go with group n rears, which are reportedly close in material stiffness to the com-c fronts.

21. Woot

Woot Well-Known Member

22. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Who makes group n rears, I've yet to come across them?

23. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

24. Shane86

Subaru.
    All the Group-N stuff is directly from them, it's a homologation rule.
    I suppose I've never confirmed their existance for GR chassis.

25. Shane86

ahh... a little looking shows they do make them, but they're different than the GC/GD chassis got of just firmer rubber.
    they're actually aluminum units, with pillowball bushings.
    they're also haneously expensive.

the subaru part number is 20370ZR100

You don't want those. just use the stock ones. they'll be fine for this application. it's less of a big deal in the rear, as the strut isn't holding the geomoetry of the suspension.

26. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Thanks Shane you've been a lot of help. Should be ordering parts soon. I'll make sure to take before and after pics.

27. Woot

Woot Well-Known Member

Right on, I could be wrong (and I often times am) but it appears that the epic springs would go even a bit lower than the RCE's, at least that is what the rallysport site claims, 1 inch drop in front for the rce's and 1.2 for the epics. Both springs should have the same 1 inch drop in the rear. So if too low is the problem maybe look at the rce yellows with a .6 drop. Just a thought.

28. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

There are very few options for a fully adjustable camber plate that will utilize the stock struts/spring perches. Most camber plates designed for coilovers can be used with the stock parts, but they usually will not give you any added drop, and may actually increase the ride height. (this is based on 2008+ models, the older models have more options)
    One option to look at are the GTWorx Bilsteins. Sets of these pop up on NASIOC every now and again going for aound $1000. A new set up can be had for around $1300 with springs. The Race Comp Engineering Yellows springs are about 330# with a 15mm drop and the blacks are 275# with a 25mm drop. I have the Bilsteins with the yellows and couldn't be happier. They are firmer than stock, but I don't mind the ride at all. I think my gaps are 13.5" from center cap to fender, so a little bit of a drop from stock.
    No need to cut up a pair of donors to make a set of front struts, new tophats are cheap new, so you can keep your stock suspension to swap back into for the winter.
    Race Comp Engineering Bilsteins

29. Shane86

No problem... i just appreciate it when people listen to my advice over going with some awful coil over.
    I've been down that road, and now that i'm older my scope of what is reasonable for a daily driver has been softened.

I can't imagine you'll be disappointed with this setup when you're done, and i'm willing to wager you'll be able to scoot it around a track faster than a guy who bought some BC racing ****.

30. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

One last question to clear up confusion. If I use Com-c's do I not install a ALK because in the end Com-c's are achieving what a ALK does and then some?

31. Shane86

You don't have to use an ALK if you use the Com-Cs... but you can to get even MORE caster.
    seriously. caster is a wonderful thing. The only downside is that it can make your steering feel heavier, and arguably upset the car, but subarus can't really get enough to make that a problem.

32. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

With that said I can install it at a later date. Does an ALK actually prevent the front of the car from jumping upwards when you get on the throttle?

33. Shane86

Kinda...
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8384387

34. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Turns out com-c top hats are harder then **** to find in stock let alone FIND for 08+ chassis..

35. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Ok I'm at a standstill. From my research I have a GE chassis (08+ sedan WRX) and from what I see on Whiteline's website there isn't a com c strut mount compatible with my chassis code. This can't be the case? The closest chassis I could identify would be a 08+ STi, but at that I'm not sure they would work. Here is strut mounts I think I need for my application:
    http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=KCA409

Thoughts?

36. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

37. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Who is the alignment guy everyone seems to trust and use from the forum? I'm having a hard time finding his info.

38. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Is it this guy?

http://www.thealignmentguy.com/

39. Woot

Woot Well-Known Member

That's who I just went through after swapping my suspension a few weeks ago, If you do go to see him his shop is on the back of the building took me a minute to find it. Did good work will be back if I need another alignment.

40. Shane86

yup, that's the guy
    Jeff's a bit of a gruff cuss, but both his alignments and prices are excellent.

if he doesn't answer, don't hound him. He's a one man band, so he's probably under a car.
    Leave a message and he'll call you back. Tell 'em Shane sent ya and he might even call back faster :)

41. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Hopefully he only knows 1 Shane! Thanks guys. Parts are all here and project begins next week Friday!

42. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Alignment scheduled with Jeff for Saturday afternoon. Just picked up my Hawk HPS brake pads from Mark at DC/Frozen Rotors. Konis, springs and top hats are here! Before picture of my car's current "look" coming soon. After pictures will be posted on Saturday or Sunday morning, can't wait!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369786453.502566.jpg

Attached Files:

43. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

what springs did you go with?

44. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

45. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

sweet once its all said and done you should put up some pics! I want to do a similar set up sometime in the future