switching from a 2.2L to a 2.5L

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by imprezed, Jan 16, 2007.

1. imprezed

imprezed Well-Known Member

I'm going to be pulling my 2.2L out of my 97 L in a few weeks, and i was wondering if any of you guys new of an problems that i might come across. I have a SOHC and i'm putting a 2002 2.5L in my car. I only have the shortblock, so im' planning on using my 2.2 SOHC heads on it. Do you know what gasket i should use? And mod's i'm going to be needing to make, etc. I just got into subie's about 6 months ago, so i still don't know much about the compatibility of the engines. If any of you know of anything, it would be much appreciated. Thanks, Tom

2. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

this gasket.... pn# 11044aa642, its the turbo 2.5 gasket, it will fit, be strong as hell, and wont give you head gasket problems that all sohc 2.5 are prone to, use DOHC 2.5 liter injectors so they will fit your fuel rails, otherwise you probably wont have issues, good luck!

3. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

also you're CPR will jump up a bit.

4. wagonL

wagonL Well-Known Member

whi dont you just buy my 2.5L engine? complete long block! 150 bucks...

so what you say? huh? huh?

5. AWDimprezaL

this will have way more torque and no headgasket problems, thats why

6. imprezed

thanks for all the help guys, im' going to be ordering up the head gaskets later today. I have another question though, with the clutch, i'm going to be using my flywheel off of the 2.2L, if possible. Will it go onto the 2.5L? And then i'm pretty sure i can get a clutch for a 2.5L and it will bolt to the 2.2 flywheel, is that right? Like i've said before, i'm new to subie's, and i'm just not confident enough to just through it in. I want as much info as i can get before i dig in. thanks again, Tom

7. AWDimprezaL

We have them in stock, 68.17 with the discount after tax
    The flywheel should fit

8. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

I have a 2.5 clutch on my 2.2 flywheel, it bolts right up.

Sounds like it's going to be an interesting project, I'm curious to see how it turns out. Keep us updated.

9. wagonL

wagonL Well-Known Member

eric...im trying to sell...lol!

10. AWDimprezaL

W0000PS!

11. imprezed

well, i might be doing this swap alot sooner than i had first thought. I was out on my lunch break and i found a parking lot that hasn't been plowed yet. So what's a guy supposed to do, just leave it all pretty? NO. I had to go mess it up. haha. But in the process, i started to smell something, so i stopped. lo and behold, my clutch is fried. It's been going for a few months now. But now it slips when i barely even get on it. So i am probably going to start this whole thing here in the next few days. I need a car. So now i just need to go and get a clutch, headgaskets, and little things here and there. I'll take some pics and post as i push on.

12. kwikrs

kwikrs New Member

tom, let me know when you are doing it, we'll get in done in a few hours