Taco truck

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Chux, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

It's a Tacoma, but it also folds up like a Taco...

Bought it last summer. You may notice the bed is resting on the cab. Frame is broken, badly.
    [​IMG]2020-07-01_11-29-42 by Numbchux, on Flickr

BUT, being a 3.4, 5speed, TRD Off Road, it has a 4.10 electric locking rear axle, which will bolt into my 4Runner.

Plan is, swap axles between the 2. Weld the diff from the 4runner that goes into this. Then patch this thing up enough for a yard truck.

It's been very low on my list, and I haven't really touched it, except to sell the brush guard and headlights.

Well, offroad/farm/etc. bachelor party weekend in a week and a half. So I'm going to try to patch this together enough that I can beat the hell out of it for the weekend.

Last Thursday:
    [​IMG]2021-08-26_10-52-47 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Friday:
    [​IMG]Snapchat-543409052 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Frame caps showed up last night, got the RH one welded in:
    [​IMG]Snapchat-1348479405 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Planning to weld the LH one in tonight. Which leaves me 4 or 5 evenings (I get 2-3 hours in the garage at night after the kids go to bed before I run out of steam) to patch the brake lines, plumb in an inline fuel pump to a marine tank. Wire and mount an LED light bar in place of headlights, swap wheels/tires from the 4runner (and likely cut/pound the bodywork on the Tacoma until they fit), and hopefully free up the locker motor (or, just lock it, and put it back together seized in the locked position). I'm crazy....

Oh yea, and fix the lights on my trailer....

tangledupinblu likes this.
  2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Got the LH side welded in last night. Much more sturdy, still flexes a bit, I'll probably have to do the section under the cab, at least on the LH side. But should be strong enough for a weekend.

Helping a friend rewire his Saab Sonnet race car tonight so he can leave next week for the Put-in-bay vintage races. But hopefully I can start on fuel/brake lines tomorrow night. And I ordered a pair of 5" LED flood lights on Amazon. I'll mount those in place of the headlights.

3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Now I want tacos...

4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Fuel system basically plumbed. I plan to use a marine fuel tank in the bed with a quick disconnect so it can easily be removed. These only have a supply line. So, low pressure filter as a pre-filter, A cheap inline pump (fits many '80s Fords...), and some fittings from the plumbing aisle at Menards....
    [​IMG]
    2021-09-09_08-50-54
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

The return T's into the supply line between the filter and pump. This is not ideal, as the only way for air to escape is through the injectors/engine and fuel temperatures are a concern. But being that this won't likely be driven much, I'm not too worried about it. I'm going to bring the cooler that I plan to use as a power steering cooler for the 4Runner along this weekend, just in case, as that could easily be added in the return to help dissipate heat.

Load Sensing Proportioning Valve is bypassed, and a couple feet of new brake line run. Brakes bled nicely, and don't appear to leak anymore. I got one front leaf spring bushing replaced. I need to buy bolts for those, and install the other, and swap tires. And, if I plan to take it to Gilbert, I need some exhaust.

5. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Did you get a sink for it while at Menards?

Chux likes this.
  6. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I did it! I literally drove it out of the garage, and onto the trailer. My son was so kind to help me while I wired in new trailer lights:
    [​IMG]20210911_124816 by Numbchux, on Flickr

[​IMG]20210911_170502 by Numbchux, on Flickr

But it worked. Big 33" tires rubbed like crap if I turned more than a little bit, so 3- and 5- point turns were my MO.

I did not get any exhaust on it, so I did not go to Gilbert (although, as it turned out, they didn't do any sound check...even on the 2 stroke dirt bikes in the group that were questionable.

Trails were very dry, so traction wasn't an issue (didn't really notice that the locker wasn't working).

[​IMG]20210912_101605 by Numbchux, on Flickr

[​IMG]20210912_101544 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Now, to yank off the bed, clearance the front fenders, and start modifying it to do some work around here!

PS, are the pictures showing up embedded for anyone else? They work fine in preview, but once I view the thread, I just get a little red X. But it's a valid link to the picture on my Flickr. I don't have issues like this on the couple other forums I still use....

7. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I’ve just been clicking on the flicker links. They show up as little x’s.

looks pretty sweet on those big tyres!

euro likes this.
  8. euro

euro Well-Known Member

X's all around

9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I figured. I guess I'll keep trying.

10. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Home with sick kids, but got a little work done during the day. Yesterday, I applied cutting and bashing tools to regain some steering angle

[​IMG]2021-09-15_01-21-09 by Numbchux, on Flickr

And today, I got the chain, and drove out into the woods for some trail maintenance (trail was blocked by a down tree, didn't feel like cutting it up, so I just dragged it out of the way).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021 at 1:29 PM