Takata Airbag update

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Chux, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

So, I've posted some information in a thread here asking about a specific model, but we got an update today, and I thought I'd pass it along.

FYI, I work in parts at Miller Hill Subaru in Duluth. So I'm very involved in our parts supply side of it. Other dealerships may (probably do) differ some, but it should be pretty relevant. Also, my knowledge of the service side of it is a bit limited....but I'll pass on what I know.

"Old" Information:
    These are all front passenger airbag only. These vehicles are still safe to drive, but you should not allow anyone to ride in the passenger seat until it is fixed.

'03-'04 Legacy/Outbacks and all Bajas were on a localized campaign, replacing them only in high-risk (high heat, and high humidity) areas. I'm not sure when this started, as we were not at all included.

2004-05 Imprezas were the first nationwide campaign. Recall notices went out about a year ago. Parts for these are now readily available to the dealers.

'05-'08 Legacy/Outback were next. Announced last January-ish. By now, these parts are also in good supply.

In July they added the '09 Legacy/Outback. Although this is a new addition, it uses the same part as the '05-'08, so also good supply.

About the same time, they upped the '03-'04 Legacy/Outback and all Baja campaign to nationwide. While there is a part number for this, they are prioritizing supply to high-risk areas, so we have only seen a trickle of them.

They also announced that '09-'11 Foresters, '06-'11 Imprezas, '10-'11 Legacy/Outbacks, and '06-'11 Tribecas would also be effected.

'04-'05 Imprezas, '03-'04 Legacy/Outbacks, and all Bajas have an access cover over the passenger bag that makes the procedure pretty simple. I believe all others require almost complete dash removal.

There is a program to supply rental cars to customers, although I do not know the prerequisites for that. Contact the service department of your local dealer for details.

The original recall notice says something about waiting for another letter saying parts would be available. But we can do them much sooner.

"New" information:
    As of today, they announced part numbers for all the remaining effected vehicles. And there appears to be a small batch of each coming into the supply chain. Dealers will be able to start placing orders for these on Monday. Although I assume that they will release these parts to higher-risk areas first like all the others before.

Also, SOA has said they will not be allowing dealers to stock up on these. They've assigned a maximum number of these based on part number and dealer level that we will be allowed to have at any given time. I'm not exactly sure how that's going to play out as far as scheduling appointments and such...

Bottom line, if you have an effected vehicle, get in touch with your local dealer, and get on the list.

CarpalTomO likes this.
  2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Thanks Chux! My wife drives an 04 Outback, i'll make a call to the dealer!

3. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I have an 07 WRX and got the letter but there are no parts. It is ridiculous that they say "just don't let someone sit in the passenger seat" and I am in ATL now too so hot and humid = best possibility for shrapnel in the wife's face.
    Can I just pull a fuse or disconnect the passenger seat weight sensor to just disable the airbag?
    Such bull****.

4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

You should be able to unplug it Nhibbsy.

Nhibbs likes this.