TD04 13t v 19t

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by MrBlue, Mar 14, 2018.

1. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Got the turbo built for the wagon... the upgraded 19t wheel and compressor housing on the left, 13t stock on the right 20180314_155254_resized.jpg

Krazylegz1485 and pleiades like this.
  2. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

nice new hairdryer!

tangledupinblu and MrBlue like this.
  3. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Put the turbo in tonight, Been chatting with @jmyhre05 and the flow rate # for the 19T puts me in need of going with a larger injector than the565cc pink Denso I was planning, so with payday tomorrow I hope to have some ID1050x on the way from him ( support local vendors)... 20180315_205742_resized.jpg

4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Looking good my man main!

MrBlue likes this.
  5. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

20180316_172926_resized.jpg Stopped by JM A chatted with Jesse and picked up these beauties, He suggested I go E85 and I'm on the fence with that.... who is running it and pros/cons?

subie-roo likes this.
  6. tangledupinblu

That was quick!! :D

MrBlue likes this.
  7. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

The wife is outa town... gotta pull the trigger when ya got a shot:thumbup:

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  8. tangledupinblu

You dirty dog!

MrBlue likes this.
  9. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Hopefully there's not a MrsBlue registered on the forum...

:bounce:

MrBlue likes this.
  10. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Ha!... Nah, she's good with it... when I was building the buggy she'd come home to the UPS guy delivering all kinds of stuff and hanging out a bit.
    The only time she said something was when I put it up for sale to move back here..."Your gonna build another right" she's good s%&t!

Scott and tangledupinblu like this.
  11. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

View attachment 26672 When I brought home the engine and tranny for the buggy build she jumped right in

Attached Files:

12. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

Jesse recommended it for my 05 LGT and I love it! I haven’t run it for very long, but I also haven’t run the wagon on anything else since the rebuild.

MrBlue likes this.
  13. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Any problems with cold weather runability, starting, the winter blend having less power?

14. subie-roo

I have only driven it a little this winter, but it was fine when I did. Cold starts were an issue but Devin adjusted the tune a few times for it and they are much better now. @Mnelson is a great resource, I know he runs it in his STI.

MrBlue and Mnelson like this.
  15. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

So do you have to revert to the previous tune for summer or is it just good year round now?

16. subie-roo

I do not change tunes and I don’t drive it in the winter only as a rust preventative measure. I could easily drive it year round, I just choose not to. Lots of people daily with E85 and love it.

17. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

I had JM set up e85 and pump tunes on my bugeye (with a Cobb v3). I run e85 whenever possible but switch every once in a while if I can't find e85 where I'm at. With Kwik Trip in NR selling it I don't think you'd have that problem often. I can definitely say I prefer e85, even only running a VF34 and modded stock injectors it made a big difference.

Since mine sits in the garage all winter I run the e85 out before storing it just in case the stories of e85 gelling up or otherwise causing problems is true. I also rigged up a couple toggle switches on the dash for my reflash connectors and ran an OBD extension cable to the AP to make switching tunes easier.

20151203_174641.jpg
    20151203_174701.jpg

18. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sooo do you have the fuel management from Delicious Tuning so you can run whatever or do you have to change maps from Devin on the AP to run the different fuels?
    Also how low on fuel would you have to be if switching the AP map?

*** Update its almost ready to fire***:bounce:

19. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

The previous questions were aimed at you... I forgot the quote

20. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

I'm wondering about the gelling factor of the fuel... @pleiades said he runs it out & switches, Was yours fine sitting without?
    The reason I fear E85 is this factor, I run a diesel for my tow rig and had problems with gelling once on the west coast where they do not offer winter blends.

21. subie-roo

I used a fuel stabilizer from Driven Racing when I stored it, and it has run fine afterwards, however I haven’t put many miles on since I stored it. When I was driving it daily I always filled up at the same Hyvee.

I do not know much about it, and switched after talking to Jesse at JM about it, but I am happy I did and I wouldn’t switch back.

Here is a write-up about E85 that I found very informative from an EVO forum:https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e85-ethanol/570749-fuel-system-after-3-years-e85.html

22. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

I don't have any fuel management or flex fuel capability so I just reflash to a different tune when switching (hence the toggles and semi-permanent AP mounting). I'll run it down pretty low when switching, at least to maybe 1/8 tank or so. Considering the variance in actual ethanol content from one place/time to another I don't think it would make any significant difference if the ratio in your tank is off by a couple percent. That is, unless you're running a really aggressive tune on e85 and then dilute it with pump gas without compensating for it. I'm sure there are others here who could give you better advice based on your specific setup and plans though.

23. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Flex is awesome because winter v summer blends and everything between isn't a problem. I will say I struggled to tune my pump gas tune after my e85 tune mostly because a 1/8 tank with oxygenated 93 could still net me 15-30% depending on the situation.in that case I would throw a half tank of non oxy 91 and cruise arou d on that for a while. It felt like it takes forever because I get better mileage on 91 :p

Anywho, If there's any possibility to run a flex sensor, you take most of the "problems" away. In theory, a flex can replace the rear o2 input on the ecu, so any tuned subaru should be able to take it. Just takes more... Custom.. Work to put the sensor on the maps and have maps to blend between ethanol %. That's why I say, cobbs kit may seem expensive but they put a ton of time in R&D.

MrBlue and subie-roo like this.
  24. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

I see what ya did there!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  25. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Update... sticking with the "pinks" and got it protuned. On the final revision of the new 91oct map, 3rd gear pull to redline netted 108mph @ 19.99psi peak boost.
    On the drive to Detroit lakes It averaged 25.7 mpg cruising on the highway at 80