Technical Assistance Threads...How to ask for help and get the info you need...

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by readymix, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

There has been an irritating trend lately on here with "Help Request" threads. Particularly in the details and information department. Alot of you seem to think people are mind-readers and can instantly determine what is wrong with your car through telepathy, osmosis and other forms of transcendental consciousness. Aside from the fact that those three things are complete horsecrap and don't exist, the best course of action here is a template for asking for help in a situation. There is a wealth of knowledge here, and unfortunately, those with the knowledge are getting increasingly tired of seeing "I have a problem with my engine, what do you think it is" and questions of that sort popping up with no other information or details. That is where the template below comes in. When you submit a help request on the forums, use this handy dandy template to help us better understand your situation.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Car: (Year, Make, Model, Transmission type)
    Pertinent Modifications: (Stick to the major stuff, your LEDs in the AC controls and your white and brown trunkmonkey aren't going to help us with your engine noise)
    Description of the problem: (Give as much detail and information as possible. Make them line item for easy visibility -one problem per line-)
    Let me elaborate on this one. If your problem is "I have a ticking noise coming from my engine" think about WHEN does it tick, is it only at idle, does it get worse when the revs go up, only when the A/C is on, can hear it outside but not inside the car. There are alot of things that a ticking engine can be, from needing an oil change to full on bearing failure. But there is no way for us to know what is causing it without knowing the when, how, where, what of the problem. Be as descriptive as possible.
    Recent maintenence or modifications: (Did you recently replace/repair something, recent new modifications?)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Those four things are the bare minimum. If you don't give us at least that much information, we are basically shooting in the dark.

So, for reference, here is how a problem request should look, and I will post a nice blank one after this so you can simply copy and paste it and fill it out in your new thread...

==============================================================
    SAMPLE TECH SUPPORT REQUEST:

Car: 2004 Subaru WRX
    Modifications: 2.5L motor with forged pistons, WRX heads w/ titanium valvetrain and 272 cams, PPG straight cuts 1-4, GT35R
    Problem Description: When driving my car, at around 6000 rpms I get a knock event on my Knock Gauge, my AFRs go from 10:1 to about 12.5:1. It only happens at WOT at between 5750-6000rpms. I've tried replacing pretty much everything in my fuel system besides the injectors themselves, They are UR1000 low impedence injectors. While tuning it on the dyno, no matter what corrections were made to the fuel system or tune, it would always go really lean right at that point. Currently my IDCs are at 97% at WOT at 6000rpms, but it still goes lean just the same.
    Recent maintenance/modifications: None aside from the usual oil changes.

================================================================

Here is a quick copy/paste version for you to use:

Car:
    Modifications:
    Problem Description:
    Recent Modifications/Maintenance:

-Readymix

Jeff L. likes this.
  2. readymix

I'm going to bump this every day from this day forward, or at least till I'm bored with it. Then you have no excuses. Anyone in violation will find their threads deleted, and will likely have their nuts snapped with a rubberband. Consider yourself warned.

3. readymix

I know it is sticky'd, but I'm going to bump this again anyway, just so it shows up in everyone's f***ing new posts feed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.