The official "cobra-peed weak link mod list"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by wrxpeed, May 14, 2007.

1. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

Before I can plunk down the cash for a Kenne bell or whipple, I'm spending some cash this week to get rid of the weak links on t3h slowbra and to prevent headaches down the road. I called DB and hopefully I'll have it dropped off this weekend and get my clutch installed early next week. The Throw out bearing has been shot since August, so since I'm getting that out, I may as well throw a big clutch in there to hold future power.

Since I'm in the mood to share my new mods after reading all of your build threads, here's my list of installed fun this week:

Spec Stage 3+ clutch - Has better driveablility than the stage 2, yet holds around 800 ft/lbs. Supposedly has better pedal pressure than the factory piece. My clutch is fine, but the tranny needs to be taken out for the TOB. I'm doing this while we're down there.

Spec Aluminum Flywheel - The stocker is actually aluminum, and one of the lightest flywheels on the market. Only problem is that nobody will/recommends resurfacing it. So I'm getting a new unit that can be re-buildable down the road.

26 Spline Input shaft - This is an upgrade to the factory 10 spline they throw in the Cobras with the T56 6-speed. The LS1 F-bodies, Corvette, GTO, and Viper T56 trannies all got the 26 spline from the factory, lucky bastards. So I'm going to take out the trannies only weak link, which has been known to twist at stock levels, by spending $250 on this shaft which haven't been broken yet as far as anyone knows. Should have been there from the factory.

LDC cooling mod - The coolant can't flow out around cylinders 7 and 8 in the 32 Valve engine, creating very hot temps there and detonation. So we Cobra owners spend $200 to allow another coolant passage to that bank in the rear with fittings and high temp hose. This can only be done with the tranny dropped, so naturally I'm getting this put in by DB when they're doing my clutch Again, a relatively expensive mod on a problem that should have been fixed from the factory.

Throw out bearing retainer sleeve - The 3rd mod I'm doing that costs some good change to fix a Ford design flaw. The factory piece is crap and is what causes all the TOB failures. This $120 aluminum sleeve prevents it in the future.

Billetflow Idler Pulleys - The 4th and final "should have been like that from the factory mod". The factory idlers are crap, plain and simple. Even a lady at NAPA knew this when I called and asked what an OEM replacement costs. Since one of mine blew last night (as you can see in the "furd is a turd" thread) I'm getting all 3 of them replaced as well as a snub idler pulley which wraps the crap out of my supercharger belt and prevents slippage up there when boosting. This kit is another $250 worth of upgrades that adds really no HP.

There it is. My list for now. I have about $1000 in parts that are replacing factory asstastic parts. once this is done, its time for the fun stuff to be bolted on, stay tuned....

*edit - changed titles, supposedly my name "Cobra Peed", when together, has a naughty word in the middle and the swear filter kicks in. I added a hyphen.

2. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

aw crap
    accidently clicked into mnford.com

jkjk

3. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

LOL:laugh:

4. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

neat!! ya, might as well get things replaced while you're at it. Don't wanna go through it again. I just did my water pump, cooler thermostat, timing belt, and a few new coolant hoses in my wagon.

waiting for HIDs..... then wheels, and brakes......suspension, LSD!!!

5. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

paint job foogey

6. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

You forgot to add nawz.

7. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

this list isn't exactly completed ;) .

I'm still coin flipping between a twin screw supercharger and a shot of NAWZZZ.

8. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

It's a mustang, spray it. :)

9. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

Blowzilla FTW. Man I LOOOOVE that sound.

10. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

its a toss up between what sounds better, the KB or the Whipple. A big turbo > all, but the price is way high.

Here's a clip of all 3 in a sound comparison, the first is the Kenne bell, the second is a whipple, and I'm sure we all know what the 3rd is:

http://media.putfile.com/04-turbo-cobra-dyno

11. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

this turning into a Ray mobile?????

12. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

so wtf is the swear filter catching in your name?

13. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

go with the kenne bell, they make some pretty damn good products (former kenne bell boost-a-spark owner)

14. Iroc-Z

Iroc-Z Well-Known Member

I would have to disagree. From what I have learned on different blowers for the 03-04s the Whipple charger is cheaper and makes better power.

15. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

the R_A_P_E in Cob R A P E ed

16. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

they do make a very good product. I agree there. Regardless of which blower I go with, I will be getting the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump

This has been argued endless on the Cobra Forums. Really its a toss up. The whipple may be cheaper for the price, but the KB includes all tools, belts, the Boost a pump and flip chip, whereas the whipple comes with nothing but the unit. When you factor all the stuff included with the KB into the equation they come to almost dead even.

As for power levels, they are both positive displacement blowers, and the power output is directly correlated to the size/displacement of the blower. The old KB 2.2 was a tad smaller than the whipple 2.3, and the whipple did make more power. But KB just changed their rotors to the "Big Bore" style and the 2.2 is now a 2.6 liter. So power is in the KB's corner now.

I'm still a coin flip away.