Thinking of upgrading my turbo to a custom billet wheel vf46. This is the propaganda.

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by xtea, Oct 28, 2014.

1. xtea

xtea Member

There's a fella on legacygt who rebuilds turbos with custom billet wheels. There is nothing wrong with my vf40 but when I go stage 2 in November I want the most I can get out of it.

For half the cost of a brand new vf52 he can sell me a vf46 with a custom wheel. This is what he has said about it.

"I make them completely reconditioned to factory specs with modified and improved journal bearings and thrust plates. I install a very aggressive extended tip custom 20+ p.s.i. billet compressor wheel, internal compressor housing polishing, and dual plane balanced new exhaust turbine/shaft assembly.

As far as the turbo itself, it has an aggressive extended tip custom billet compressor wheel on it that is capable of 20+ p.s.i. if you tune it to the ragged edge but the best thing to do with it is when you tune, set it at about 17-18 p.s.i. and it will pull very nicely. The advantage is that the billet wheel is about half of the weight of the stock cast wheel, so it will spool quicker and then pull harder when it does spool and the combination is very nice and works great with stock fuel system.

In regards to your question about 16G or VF52, my custom VF40/46's are not as much as either of those but if you install either one without larger fuel injectors, you're running on the razors edge to get them to work well and what you gain in top end, you lose in spool quickness. You can definitely get a higher dyno number with either of those (as well as a higher fuel bill every day you drive it...LOL) but you'll lose at least 200-300 rpm on spool quickness. Sooner rather than later, your fuel injectors will begin to lose their efficiency from being run on such high duty cycles to try to keep up with the turbo and your fuel pump will be working much harder to keep up, which will shorten the life and require replacement sooner too.

The custom VF40/46 (either will fit as they are almost identical stock for stock in all aspects) will allow you to use your existing fuel injector system to it's potential without stressing it much, and give you quicker spool and more top end than a stock VF40/46 allows. As you know, when these are in good operating shape, even stock, they are pretty darn quick and fun to drive. The custom will enhance that a lot, especially if you're going to Stage 2 with it and you won't be disappointed. "

Another person who has used this turbo had this to say.

"The real kick is definitely down low. Spools up at about 23-2500, boost is on before 3k, sometimes sooner depending on what gear the trans is in. My tires, though they are good, can slip mid-corner when suddenly on-boost before the 5EAT "Nannys" me back into traction. A 0-50mph pull can pin me (and a passenger) to the seats every time, and that's what makes it all worth it. On stiffer suspension, I expect this effect will be a bit more dramatic. I'll keep you posted. It has an 11-blade billet wheel that will push 20+psi if I ask it to. Do I want that? Not really. Seriously, on a good day, this car can scare me on an open on-ramp as-is, and I'm probably barely over 12psi on a Stage 2 tune. (I haven't looked at the boost levels lately, lol.) "

All of this sounds very nice. It sounds like a great upgrade for me since it will spool faster than a 16g, or vf40 for that matter, and can handle more boost then the vf40 (I assume). I will be bulletproofing my TMIC which I know none of you think is worth anything, but doing so will keep it happy up to 20psi from what I've read of people who are actually using this mod. I don't plan to upgrade the fuel system. I just want a peppy stage 2 daily driver. This sounds like a good ticket.

BUT... I am ignorant of the performance of the vf40. Is this an upgrade or more a sidestep?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  2. PandaStep

PandaStep Member

It all sounds greatt in theory, have you talked to anyone who has one?

*edit: and what kind of warranty comes with it?

tehfuzz and Ryan FailRad like this.
  3. GregRoot198521

GregRoot198521 Member

Interested to hear more about this too.

4. xtea

xtea Member

The guy who sells it will provide support through the Break in period. He didn't say so explicitly but my guess is he'll give me 90 days. He's given lots of praise on the legacy forums, my instincts are telling me that the reliability of this turbo is not really what I need to be concerned about. what I'm more concerned about is how much benefit the upgraded turbo will give me aside from the reliability improvements.

I have been messaging another user who is using his turbo and he has been answering some of my questions as well. Nothing but great things to say but he spent a year almost between using The vf 40 and the new rebuilt one.

I think I'm a go ahead and do it.

PandaStep likes this.
  5. xtea

xtea Member

I think I'm going to get it unless anyone has red flags that I should look out for or can debunk the claims. I'll report back and give you guys my opinion. If everything turns out I'll put contact information up for people who want to contact him for rebuilt turbo.

6. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

What material is the shaft made of?

7. xtea

xtea Member

Inconel?

8. idget

I would find out for sure. By the sounds of it, the underlying issue for stock turbo failure may still be there.

9. xtea

xtea Member

It is iconel he said

10. xtea

xtea Member

What is the underlying issue?

11. idget

12. xtea

xtea Member

Well, I keep hearing the vf40 is the bottleneck at stage 2 with stock fueling. This guy's turbo supposedly closes that gap and balances well with the stock system at stage 2. I'm going to take a risk and do it. I dont believe it will be any worse then the turbo I have in there, and I think it will improve reliability, and more importantly give some more ponies.

13. belalegosi

belalegosi Well-Known Member

I saw the word "custom" way to many times in the first few sentences. Then I stopped reading. :unsure:

SubaruMKEmn and tehfuzz like this.
  14. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

The main problems with most of the IHI turbo's is the hot side. The hot side is what is restricting the exhaust so much. It doesn't matter how big of a cold side you throw on it, if you can't get the air out of the motor/exhaust you are not going to make the power.

I would spend the money on either the vf52, or do something with the IC so you can run a standard turbo compressor and then get into a 16g. Ideally with the 2.5 motor, 8cm hot side, 06H wheel and then the Evo III cold side. Should be 2500rpm fullboost (22-24psi) and much better off boost torque and mileage.

Russ

russellmn likes this.
  15. xtea

xtea Member

How much will all that run me?

Upgraded tmic + 16g = $1500+
    VF 52= $1200

This custom vf46 is half as much or more and gets the power where I want it without having to spend too much.

I am not interested in upgrading all the things. Just want a bit more kick that balances with whats already in the car.

Now if you have solutions that are under $700 I'm all ears.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  16. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

17. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

alot.

tehfuzz likes this.
  18. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

I haven't kept up, have you done a downpipe/exhaust and tune yet? If not start there. Otherwise do the fuel pump/injectors and run e85 during the "warm" months and have a map for gas during the winter. My .02.

19. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

I haven't kept up, have you done a downpipe/exhaust and tune yet? If not start there. Otherwise do the fuel pump/injectors and run e85 during the "warm" months and have a map for gas during the winter. My .02.

20. xtea

xtea Member

This is interesting. Doesn't the vf52 require I upgrade injectors + fuel pump also? Also without mods won't it spool a little slower?

I rarely go above 4000rpm driving. I'm looking for most of the power below that.

21. xtea

xtea Member

I'm doing all that on the 11th. Fuel pump, injectors and e85 can happen next year.

22. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

You could always buy that turbo and hold it until next year when you do the injectors and fuel pump. Then you aren't risking money on the Kustom turboz that guy sells. I can personally vouch that that vf52 is about 95% highway mileage.

23. xtea

xtea Member

It is an interesting option. I honestly feel more confident in Kustim tUrBOZ then a used turbo. But the fact that he's local is good. I'm honestly more interested in what will get me more zoom zoom in the low end for as little money as possible. I sent your boy a message to see if he has a pending sale and I'm going to think a little more about this.

24. derp

derp Well-Known Member

BNR Supercars. 16g is 750 bucks. brand new. 1 year warranty.
    18g and 20g is 775.

tehfuzz likes this.
  25. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

As everyone else has tried to tell you, that "upgrade" wheel that guy is selling is stupid.

But it seems like you've already made up your mind, and you'll end up buying it. Just like all the other threads where you ask for advice.

26. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

euro, xtea and tehfuzz like this.
  27. xtea

xtea Member

Update:

I went with the questionable decision of using the custom turbo. I just got the car back from NF, and they also put on a used Cobb Catted DP, used Grimmspeed UP and put in a new clutch at the same time. Right now I'm on a "new clutch" tune to break it in for the next 200 miles or so at wastegate psi, so probably around 8-9 psi. Previously I was on a stage 1 tune with a catless wrx UP.

My only metric is the butt dyno unfortunately.

My first impression was the car feels lighter and more nimble, though that doesn't make any sense. The spool up is fast, it definitely jumps into boost quicker than the stage 1 tune I had and it pulls harder than the stage 1 tune (14-15 psi) I had. It seems to hold constant power also for an extra 500 rpms or so. I find this interesting because I'm on such a conservative tune. Once I'm out of break in I'm going to have Nuke push it up to 18 psi or so. Its hard to say how much of what I'm feeling is related to the DP or if its imaginary. Could be imaginary.

This was a very hard process to go through. Every day I doubted my decision because of the feedback I got here. I went with the turbo because I wanted more power in the 2000-4000 rpm range. I rarely drive beyond that. I also liked the idea of taking a chance to see if I could get something unique. From the research I could do before installing this it seems like this turbo beats out a vf52 in the 2000-3000 range and is comparable to the 52 till about 4000 where the differences start to become more apparent. So far I'm impressed with its performance at wastegate psi. Depending on the outcome of the final tune I think I am going to be satisfied overall with the upgrade. I'll update again once I'm out of break in.

28. xtea

xtea Member

Here's a pic of the wheel in the housing.
    [​IMG]

29. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Remind me to take Ben with me next time I go to Canterbury...

tangledupinblu and tehfuzz like this.
  30. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Congrats on going Stage 2 the most expensive way possible. Haha.

I've only been there once and generally have no idea what I'm doing....

tehfuzz and ShortytheFirefighter like this.
  31. xtea

xtea Member

The stage 2 part was pretty cheap. $200 for the cobb downpipe. Actually with cost of install it came out a wash. The turbo I consider an extra step beyond stage 2 and so far I'm happy I went with it over a used 52.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  32. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

33. derp

derp Well-Known Member

why would you even bother asking for advice if you have zero intent to take it into consideration?

OP: "hay guise, i got a deal on a discounted vacation to Liberia, should I go???"

entire forum: "EBOLA. NO."

OP: "lol guise I'm going to Liberia on vacation."

Ryan FailRad, curly2k3 and tehfuzz like this.
  34. xtea

xtea Member

I don't know. A couple people seemed interested. The rest of you hardend criminals seemed to caution me because you weren't familar with the turbo or didn't seem to understand my goals.

So far no Ebola. So why is every one upset?

The advice I took here I also compared to advice I got from other sources. I will say the other sources that swayed me spoke at greater length, and in more detail then the responses here. So that in a way qualified or added weight to the answers for me. Also speaking to owners of this turbo provided a lot of insight that I did not get here. I know the route I took might not meet everyone's goals and I sort of feel that was part of disparity. Believe it or not there was critical thinking on my end about what my intentions, goals, and cost to benefit was. I spent hours staring at dyno charts. I was doubtful even after purchase though but so far the initial doubt I had is all but gone.

Also I figured I'd update because some might find it interesting even though the old soldiers think it's silly.

35. ShortytheFirefighter

I think you're confusing people being "upset" with people not patting you on the back and telling you that you made the right choice.

36. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

Who is a couple people?

The rest of us hardened criminals? I hope you're joking when saying that. Many of us on MNsubaru tend to give out genuine advice, and don't intend to troll you or proceed to give you a hard time.

Don't bite the hand that feeds.

37. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

I just don't understand never driving over 4000 rpms, or trying to stay under. Engines like to be run harder than that

Nhibbs and Ryan FailRad like this.
  38. EricS

EricS Nooberator

image.jpg

TMF and tehfuzz like this.
  39. ShortytheFirefighter

So because people didn't write you a book extolling the reasons you shouldn't do this, you decided to go ahead with it because you gave more weight to other sources that happened to confirm the choice you already made?

It could be that people didn't bother giving you the automotive version of Moby Dick (which was published today in 1851) is because they have already researched this and don't feel the need to expound why it's not the best idea. It could also be that you've posted up so many other threads asking for advice and gone against the advice given that people aren't going to waste their time trying to explain it when you're not going to listen to them anyway.

40. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I will tell you that was a waste of time. I can show you charts of cars that people would say are awesome and are completely undrivable and charts that everyone would laugh at and are some of the most fun to drive. Charts are only a small small part of the big picture.

you also have to remember that the tune is more important then the parts you are installing. Just because everyone uses the same tuner doesn't mean that the tunes are good, it just means that everyone goes to the same place. That is why it is always best for YOU to understand what is happening with your car and not to rely on what everyone tells you.

I can tell you just at our past dyno day, a fair share of those tunes "worked" but were not good. Very few cars had clean pulls, some of them were even misfiring. And what happens on the dyno is not what happens on the street.

Russ

41. derp

derp Well-Known Member

So, because they talked more, their advice was worth more? You're a special kind of brilliant.

42. derp

derp Well-Known Member

tehfuzz likes this.
  43. derp

derp Well-Known Member

OP's understanding of car mechanics:
    [​IMG]

Ryan FailRad and tehfuzz like this.
  44. blueroo

blueroo Member

Well, good job on sticking it out now that you're content with the decision.

Perhaps an alternative to more power will be a transmission swap/ gearing if you're looking for power under that 4k threshold.

Myself, I love pitching that needle around. :D

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  45. blueroo

blueroo Member

Is this what they teach you in Turkmenistan?