Those of you with "illegal" tint...

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by zman13, Mar 4, 2014.

1. zman13

zman13 Member

Considering getting 35% done on my car because 50% just seemslike a waste to me. Those of you that have illegal tint, have you had any trouble with LEOs? Tickets, warnings, etc....

2. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Only trouble I got was on my old white wrx 20% up front 5% back three, and I got a ticket from a state trooper. Local police don't seem to care.

9blackmax6 likes this.
  3. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

20% on my previous car, no problems. 35% on current car, no problems.

4. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

depends upon where you live. on the north side, little to no trouble. Edina, eden prairie...I wouldn't.

idget likes this.
  5. DIRTY D

DIRTY D Well-Known Member

Go get a DR's note and be legal

6. zman13

zman13 Member

I don't have any eye problems...will a doctor still write a note?

7. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

If you find the right eye doc yes. I have 30% on my front of my brz 10 on the rear corner windows and back window.

8. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

More importantly: hold old are you, what are you tinting, and where do you spend most of your time driving?

tehfuzz likes this.
  9. zman13

zman13 Member

I am 21, Black Focus ST, drive westbound 62 from Inver Grove to Eden Prairie for work.

10. blackozone

Get a prescription. You're going to need it.

11. zman13

zman13 Member

I will try to get an appointment set up. I'm assuming it's the troopers you need to watch out for?

12. blackozone

Depends on the officer, ultimately. I've heard stories about EP police being particular. It's just a good idea to cover yourself.

13. dhanso312

dhanso312 Well-Known Member

Blackozone pretty much summed it up..
    refer to here for a previous thread about this : LINK

xodad2 likes this.
  14. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

EPPD is known for going after tint, and with your age and vehicle they're going to introduce themselves early and often.

drac77 and phi11 like this.
  15. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I hate it when I can't make eye contact (or see where they are looking or not looking) with drivers that have deep tinted windows...both when I am driving and as a pedestrian.

WLGT likes this.
  16. 02_Rexxxy

02_Rexxxy Active Member

Get a prescription...it is honestly super easy and a lot cheaper than tickets from the troopers. Step 1) find a place that has a cheap eye exam. Step 2) Schedule said exam. Step 3) Ask eye doctor what it takes to get a window tint prescription. Step 4) Ask eye doctor if you can get one. If they say no, refer to step #1.

17. solomon

solomon Well-Known Member

I remember reading on here that if you had a wagon or suv it could be lower tint correct me if I'm wrong.

Tash likes this.
  18. blackozone

That only applies to rear windows.

Tash likes this.
  19. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

I have 35% on my black WRX sedan (all around) and drive from S Mpls to SSP (on 62) daily, and have never had a problem. I have noticed a fair amount of state troopers on 62, especially in the morning, but have not been pulled over.

I do plan to get a prescription at my next appt, just to cover the bases. My $0.02 is get a prescription to be safe.

20. Bryan621

Bryan621 Well-Known Member

I got jacked up for 35% (highway patrol). Had to take it off, and I'm in the middle of the state in a smaller town. Seems like highway patrol don't like it because city never bothered me.. Although I lately I've seen an older audi and a sweet cobalt with blacked out everything, even the windshield..

T_riggidy likes this.
  21. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Everytime I have been pulled over with 35% tint they say something about it. The last officer used the tint as a reason to pull me over. Thankfully I have eye problems that warrent my Rx.

T_riggidy likes this.
  22. Bryan621

Bryan621 Well-Known Member

I personally won't go darker than 50 up front.. Not worth the hassle to me to get pulled over for it. Even though the law says 50 all around the patrol just told me to take it off the front windows.

23. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

If I ever decide to tint my windows, I'd just go with 50% all around. It's not worth the potential hassle of being pulled over for it. I guess that's just part of me getting older though.

Whatever you do, if you get over 50%, don't come complaining because you're getting "hassled by the cops" because they pull you over due to tint.

xodad2 likes this.
  24. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Idk since I've gotten mine done on my brz I have been through towns big and small many that I know hassle people with tint and not had a issue. I have a the Rx as well in case I do get pulled over but I have passed many a cops without even so much as a Tap of the brakes.

25. ofspunk7

I was pulled over for tint about 1 mile from your house. My cousin was also pulled over for tint/exhaust in his yellow bugeye right by CUB on White Bear Ave.

26. engstb

engstb Well-Known Member

35% on a black car. No problems.

27. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

I don't usually have an issue on black cars, I'm guessing since the tint doesn't look as dark. I run 35% on all my cars

28. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Gordy is your cousin?

29. Ntxhuav_Khang

Ntxhuav_Khang Well-Known Member

50 is dark enough for the fronts. They'll probably ticket you for tint and exhaust like they did me. After court fees and ticket payments, would have been close to $300, but judge was kind enough to lower it by half.

30. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Get a wagon, then you can go as dark as you want on any glass behind the front doors

solomon and yuseforester like this.
  31. ofspunk7

Nope. Gordy does own his car now though.

32. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Gordy lives a double life?

33. ofspunk7

Yes, Gordy and Ben are actually the same person... he is a really good actor.

34. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

No Gordy can actually make jokes

35. ofspunk7

Like I said. A good actor.

36. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

So ben was always faking it or no?

ofspunk7 likes this.
  37. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Really? I thought that only the hatch window could be tinted whatever you wanted. This is good news if anything behind the front windows can be tinted dark.

38. derp

derp Well-Known Member

An actual wagon is classified as a van per mn law, vans have different rules than cars. Front windows still can't be more than 50%

Ntxhuav_Khang and Cotts612 like this.
  39. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Nice. I love my obp wrx van! She'll look nice with tinted windows.

40. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Double check the law, itvlays out what constitutes a wagon.

Not 100% sure wrx hatches fall into it.

41. alphamang

alphamang Member

I have 35% all around and I got nabbed by State Troopers heading north of the cities (around Mille Lacs). Haven't had issues with it in the cities but I always worry about it since I got pulled over. I'm actually really pissed they didn't give me a fine AND a fix it ticket but instead gave me just the ticket. Makes me think they just want money from the ticket.

Anyway... I've researched quite a bit and wagons are NOT excluded from the 50% tint laws (aka WRX Wagons). Only trucks/SUVs/vans are allowed anything darker than 50%.

42. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Legacy Wagons are Wagons, 5-door imprezas are hatchbacks.

43. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

So just to clarify 07 and back impreza "wagons" aren't considered wagons? Or are you talking about the 08+ hatchback?

44. alphamang

alphamang Member

Let me clarify this so no one is given "bad" info.
    I was ticketed for the following -

WINDOW TINT (LESS THAN 50% LIGHT TRANSMITTANCE)
    MN Statue:
    169.71.4(a)(3)
    https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.71

Subd. 4.Glazing material; prohibitions and exceptions.
    (a) No person shall drive or operate any motor vehicle required to be registered in the state of Minnesota upon any street or highway under the following conditions:
    (3) when any side window or rear window is composed of or treated with any material so as to obstruct or substantially reduce the driver's clear view through the window or has a light transmittance of less than 50 percent plus or minus three percent in the visible light range or a luminous reflectance of more than 20 percent plus or minus three percent; or

HERE IS THE EXCEPTION CLAUSE:
    (b) This subdivision does not apply to glazing materials which:

1) have not been modified since the original installation, nor to original replacement windows and windshields, that were originally installed or replaced in conformance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 205;

(2) are required to satisfy prescription or medical needs of the driver of the vehicle or a passenger if:
    (i) the driver or passenger is in possession of the prescription or a physician's statement of medical need;
    (ii) the prescription or statement specifically states the minimum percentage that light transmittance may be reduced to satisfy the prescription or medical needs of the patient; and
    (iii) the prescription or statement contains an expiration date, which must be no more than two years after the date the prescription or statement was issued; or

(3) are applied to:
    (i) the rear windows of a pickup truck as defined in section 168.002, subdivision 26;
    (ii) the rear windows or the side windows on either side behind the driver's seat of a van as defined in section 168.002, subdivision 40;
    (iii) the side and rear windows of a vehicle used to transport human remains by a funeral establishment holding a license under section 149A.50;
    (iv) the side and rear windows of a limousine as defined in section 168.002, subdivision 15; or
    Statue 168.002, subdivision 40:
    https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=168.002#stat.168.002.40

Subd. 40.Van.
    "Van" means any vehicle of box-like design with no barrier or separation between the operator's area and the remainder of the cargo-carrying area, and with a manufacturer's nominal rated carrying capacity of three-fourths ton or less. If the manufacturer's nominal rated carrying capacity is not provided or not known, then the value specified by the manufacturer as the maximum gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating as indicated on the manufacturer's certification label must be less than 10,000 pounds.

You can probably fight this to your hearts content but a wagon and a hatchback I do not believe are considered "box-like" designs. This is obviously subject to speculation and if you wanted to spend the money on court fees you might be able to win it... but I don't believe a wagon/hatchback is considered a Van.
    I think this also means an SUV is considered a "Van" because it's more "box like" than a true wagon.

Any lawyers around that can clarify?

mtnbykr likes this.
  45. GrumpyPitbull

GrumpyPitbull Member

Well, most SUV's nowadays are not really "box-like". As is typical with most of MN's laws, it is poorly written.

I am a police officer, and here is my 2 cents on the matter, but take it with a grain of salt because I have never once ticketed someone for tint in my career lol ...

My interpretation of the tint law is that you can go darker than 50% (behind the front windows) on any vehicle which does not have a trunk which can hide your "cargo". So I would say that any hatchback vehicle would be a "van" by the statutes standards. If I was ever ticketed for this in a hatchback, I would fight it for sure in court and simply show a picture of my car and ask what the difference between this and a Cadillac Escalade is aside from size. My guess is the ticket would be dismissed.