Thoughts on Modern Automotive Performance

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Aluminati, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

I have been using Nf Performance but have recently been looking around at different shops.

Today i drove by MAP and spoke with a mechanic there. Lots of lifts, a dyno and machine shop for engine builds. Tons of imports in the back with crazy hp numbers!!

I have spoken with Ron at RS Motors but have put this option on the back burner.

Any body use MAP before?

Matt

2. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Lol

Ryan FailRad and tehfuzz like this.
  3. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

I've bought parts from them.. Can't really go wrong getting parts for less than you see online..
    But Why not just stay with NF?

tehfuzz likes this.
  4. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

I know….. But honestly i am just curious.

5. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

I've used Jordan from MAP and Nuke from NF to tune my car. They both are good at what they do. I have not had any bad experience with either of the two. But I have learned that you should stick with the team that does every thing Subaru. The team that eats and sleep Subaru will not steer you wrong.

6. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

What are you trying to have done to your car?
    Engine build? Parts? Tune? Dyno? General maintenance?
    The only people I would recommend for any of that is NF or RS.

7. Ryan FailRad

Except dyno, unless something has changed in the last month or two that I haven't heard about.

8. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Well yeah dyno go to RS, DB or MAP

T_riggidy and Ryan FailRad like this.
  9. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

I've been thinking about going to the next step with my STI.

Headers, fmic, injectors/pump and 20gxt.

I want to make sure my engine can handle these new parts. So maybe upgrade the internals or a new engine.

Just looking around at different options.

Money is not a concern.

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  10. Ryan FailRad

Do what I do, DIY the installs, have nuke (NF) tune. Or have them do the Installs aswell. I haven't seen any bad reviews for NF performance yet, and have had only positive experiences with them.

11. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

Hahaha I can do an oil change.

I'm very good at machining but not with cars :(

I'll stick with what I know. Better to support small businesses too (I own one my self).

12. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Well, since money is not a concern, I don't need to tell you to budget for a new shortblock...because you will more than likely crack a ringland, esp with a 20g.

Are you stage 2 yet? I'd say try stage 2 and E85 and see how you like the power.

Then if you get bored, slap on the 20g.

Then check your compression at least a couple times a year.

When you find low compression on one of the cylinders, pull the motor before it gets detrimental, rebuild the motor with forged pistons at a minimum, and then be on your way for another 50k or so.

If money really isn't an issue, just build a new shortblock and have it waiting for when your stock motor pops. If this is all starting to sound expensive, just sell the sti and buy something that either makes more power from the factory or can reliably handle more power.

That's my $.02...and this is coming for a guy who experienced a cracked ringland. I still love it though :D

SCIFIDELITY likes this.
  13. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Oh and to your original question, I've had a lot of good experiences with NF personally and I've heard good things about RS as well. I've only bought a few parts from MAP and had them weld in a wideband bung in my downpipe...which was in the wrong spot (not totally their fault). You might end up being OK with MAP, but there are far more good references on this forum for NF and RS....

Nhibbs likes this.
  14. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

NF...................Mods please close the thread.

15. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

^why does it have to be closed?

Nothing but good things have been said about NF.

Here is a reply from MAP: "Thank you for the email. You can swing on in and we can discuss we currently we aren't taking any new tuning appointments or service work. We can definitely get you the parts you will need at a good price but we won't be able to install as we are changing the path our backshop will be working."

I asked about MAP because i grew up in that area and have friends that live close by and would make it convenient while my car got worked on.

TMF- Thanks for the recommendations!!!

Matt

16. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

I think Vinnie is just trying to say that NF is the end all/be all...which is probably true!

What's up with MAP not accepting tuning appointments and or installs? Must be remodeling or something, or maybe just Subie hatin'!

I had my hybrid built '03 WRX tuned at MAP by Jordan. This was probably about 4-5 years ago now when they were in their old shop. Put down 280whp/320wtq...not too shabby for what it was. Anyway, his parents were in town that day and he brought them with to the shop to show them kind of what he does I guess, which is cool and all, but seemed rather unprofessional to me. I was also given the impression that I was being rushed out, like he had better things to do, granted this was on a Saturday and nobody else in the shop was working that day and his parents were there. It is what it is, but I thought it was kind of strange.

When I got my STi and it was time to upgrade, I want strait to NF based on the high praise on this site and I was not disappointed. Nuke and the NF folks were extremely helpful with setup questions and Nuke was extremely flexible with his schedule (I even changed the time on him the day before the tune...no problem!). Definitely will be going back to NF for any tuning/maintenance/build needs in the future even though they are 2 hrs away from me.

First impressions tend to last the longest.

NAITOMEA_ST likes this.
  17. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Money is not a concern?! Get a Ferrari! lol

Is this your DD? If you have a backup car I say throw the 20G on there and see what happens. Build engine when it pops.
    My stock wrx block with 80K miles on it is surprisingly still kicking with the 20G and E85...(knock on wood).

tehfuzz likes this.
  18. kongzilla

There are certain things that other shops can not do that others can't.

NF does not have a alignment machine. MAP does.
    NF does not have a DYNO. MAP does.
    NF does not have a cool shop with a ton of hoist. MAP does.
    NF does not have a marketing team that employs 10 people to sit around. MAP does.
    NF does not have a chick working the front desk. MAP does.

What does NF have:
    -the best Subaru gurus in the midwest
    -the best staff that you can basically call family
    -A freaken dirty ass bat cave used as a shop. (I think at one point they had a PS3)
    -who needs a DYNO when you have the streets for tuning
    -one of the best tuners in the midwest
    -staff who would stand behind you regardless if you were a noob or a pro
    -Most importantly they are not afraid to tell you the Fu(k off. (basically telling you the truth hurts sometimes, when your in denial.)

19. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

NF does not have a alignment machine. MAP does. True
    NF does not have a DYNO. MAP does. So does DB/FB/RS
    NF does not have a cool shop with a ton of hoist. MAP does. So does DB/FB/RS
    NF does not have a marketing team that employs 10 people to sit around. MAP does. True
    NF does not have a chick working the front desk. MAP does. FALSE, We have Fuji!

What does NF have:
    -the best Subaru gurus in the midwest Questionable
    -the best staff that you can basically call family Questionable
    -A freaken dirty ass bat cave used as a shop. (I think at one point they had a PS3) MAN CAVE
    -who needs a DYNO when you have the streets for tuning Hm...
    -one of the best tuners in the midwest Questionable
    -staff who would stand behind you regardless if you were a noob or a pro Questionable
    -Most importantly they are not afraid to tell you the Fu(k off. (basically telling you the truth hurts sometimes, when your in denial.) TRUTH!

20. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

You're not freakin' awesome until you have a cowboy

Attached Files:

21. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

Achievement Unlocked : Entered the Wild Wild West.

Ryan17, blak04wrx and Ryan FailRad like this.
  22. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

23. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

So he's the only one to tell others to fukk off? lol

24. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

It's just that he is so good at it. He has quite the elegant command of the English language.

readymix likes this.
  25. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

Another thing you are forgetting are the prices. Yes, these other shops have incredible facilities, heck, In fact Ive used all the shops. Those things come at a price though. That is usually the discount extended on parts. Id go out on a limb and say the NF can probably beat any price for a part, why, because they dont have a tremendously high overhead and the customers get the benefit of that.

Yes, dynos and fancy buildings are nice but we are paying for them in the form of prices paid for parts. NF doesnt have that and that is why the prices they can offer are incredible.

But like I said, MAP, RS, etc... are incredible shops and do a fantastic job. We are very fortunate in that we as customers do have options! Ive lived in cities where the only option was the stealership.

26. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

My .02.
    I had Jordon at MAP tune my WRX almost as soon as I got it home. No modifications, just a tune to fix the extremely lean condition from factory. He was able to take his time and did a great job. Next time in with a few added parts, (drop in filter, muffler delete) he seemed to be rushed and not able to spend as much time. I had to take it back to fix an over boost issue I was having.
    I had been using them for parts, until I tried to place and order that was coming from different vendors. They were going to make me pay for shipping on each separate part, without an option to pick them up. I was able to find everything cheaper elsewhere with free shipping. I haven't bothered with them since.
    DB Performance has tuned my car the last couple of times, and has done an excellent job. (I live 10 minutes from their shop)
    NF will be my next stop without hesitation when I need more work performed.

27. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

This is from an email I got yesterday.

From MAP-

Later down the line we will open up our service department again but we need to reset and reorganize before we move forward. Our Retail side has always been our main focus here at MAPerformance and we are about to make some big moves so we just don't have time for service or tuning work right now.

28. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

No cowboy, no care

yuseforester, Nhibbs and tehfuzz like this.
  29. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

If you need Hookers, go to MAP.

bubba_crx, derp, Nhibbs and 2 others like this.
  30. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

Nf it is. They've been wonderful to me so far and I will be going e85 soon.

31. derp

derp Well-Known Member

MAP is great if you need advice on picking up a prostitute or having your pictures stolen and used without credit.

32. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

I have bought item from MAP a couple times, no issue with that side. Never had a car tuned there, have heard more dislike than like on tunes from MAP from the people from my area. Is Jordan even tuning full time? Their shop, is huge, has lots of new fancy equipment, ect. Maybe things have improved over the years on their service/motor work as well.

Since someone mentioned alignments, if I needed an alignment in the cities, I would go to the AlignmentGuy. Heck, I may be bringing him the BRZ anyways.

My preference if I am going to bring my car somewhere would be RS.

33. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

I had Jeff do my alignment and set My ride height on my brz. He has done all my alignments since 09

34. kongzilla

Jordan doesn't work directly for MAP now. He is more like a private contractor. He pays a fee to use their dyno per car. Thats what I've been told.

then if the shop needs tuning, they hire him per job on the shops rate. So its cheaper to go directly through Jordan.

35. kongzilla

I have only used Jeff since 2010/11. But I will use someone else if Jeff is a month out. Especially during race season. Every once in awhile, he will get me in after closing hours.

BSing with the guy is a little weird and very off topic.

36. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Yea talking with him is half the reason I go there always a good chat once you figure out his personality

37. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

You have it figured out?

38. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

Sure do :)

I've used NF for all my needs since getting my STI, so I will continue with what I have been doing and support the little guys to make them a big guy one day.

Map would have been more convenient but they said they are re doing there whole thing, so no installs or tunes for awhile.

I'm getting injectors and pump put in next Wednesday for e85. Very excited!

Have a great 4th!!

tehfuzz, b00stWrx11 and TMF like this.
  39. Kneel Weiß

Kneel Weiß FUMP BDI Staff Member

What shop are you at? I work at a machine shop too.

40. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

I work in Golden Valley at Perbix.

Been there for 7 years :)

What shop are you at?

41. Kneel Weiß

Kneel Weiß FUMP BDI Staff Member

Ha! We make some of your parts! I'm at Cass Screw Machine in Brooklyn Center.

42. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

I've never heard of that shop.

Were are beyond busy right now.

It's cool to see other machine shop guys on here!

Kneel Weiß likes this.
  43. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Perbix eh? Do you know Ryan Justen?

44. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

He works here but I rarely go to the engineering building. He's the manager of Controls (automation).

You friends with him?

I have a coworker I went to college with and an engineer I went high school with.

Tons of noobs too lol

45. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

As and FYI, from what I saw on a recent Facebook Post, MAP is no longer doing service or tuning. I am unsure if that means that Jordan is no longer using their dyno on a "rental basis" as discussed above.