tial 38mm ewg on stock turbo with tune.

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by 03suby, May 6, 2009.

1. 03suby

03suby Well-Known Member

Other than it sounding really frickn sweet. Is there any reason not to run this on a stock turbo. (I know a gmbcs is a cheaper alternative to controlling boost.) I already have a tune for the tial too.
    Would it be OK to just run the stock down pipe with this setup? I know its not ideal but seeing if it would cause any issues etc.

2. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

I think it's a waste of time and money (assuming it's the td04 from your sn)

3. 03suby

03suby Well-Known Member

yeah, it sounds sweet tho lol
    your right it would be better spent on a turbo or suspension.

What about if im running a vf39 on a the 2.0L?

yeah it would be on a td04 :rolleyes:

4. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Not everyone thinks an open dump wastegate sounds cool...

More like farting through a straw at 125 dB

5. 03suby

03suby Well-Known Member

lol
    yeah i guess i have never actually heard one before. Probably want to check that out before i actually commit. So far two against. \

t would likely get old if I use it as a dd... esp on the freee way.

6. 6MTizzle

6MTizzle 2SLO

I'm plumbing my external gate(tial 38mm also) back into my exhaust for this year I think they sound terrible and they are incredibly loud. Just my .02. Spend your money on an up pipe and downpipe. You will be glad you did and it will sound awesome.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Ok, we need to back up a second here. Stock downpipe? Just because you decided to run a EWG or 3-port BCS, doesn't mean you can just ignore the rest of your exhaust. An EWG simply allows exhaust gasses to pass your turbo when open, and to be completely funneled into your turbine when closed.

You still need to remove exhaust restrictions past the turbo to make power.

Secondly, the wastegate is not the restriction on the stock turbo. The turbo is. You won't make significantly more power with an EWG compared to a 3-port BCS. For that matter, 3-port BCS's dont typically make more power then the stock wastegate, as all stage 2 2.0L WRX's are injector limited.

And lastly, WTF does this mean? Boxed maps are a bad idea on any car, but 100% worse on a funky set up like the one you are proposing.

Just get some exhaust, a 3-port BCS, and a tune. It is common because it works well and is (relatively) cheap.

8. Iroc-Z

Iroc-Z Well-Known Member

EWG out the hood FTW.

9. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

^It would be wise to listen to this man, he knows his stuff.

10. sjwelna

sjwelna Well-Known Member

I've had friends with external dumps on their cars. They are cool for about 3 pulls, and then when you are daily driving it and you keep going deaf every time the gate starts to open you start questioning why you did it.

My main question is.....WHY? Why do you want this? It seems like the main reason is just to sound 'cool'..... Running it on a stock turbo, stock exhaust, stock car is pointless.

This seems like a huge "WHAT IF" thread.

My .02: Don't do it.

-Steve

11. RichWRX

RichWRX Well-Known Member

I have 2 44mm wastegates dumping out under the passenger seat :) and a 4" cutout on my downpipe. I say do it!!

12. 03suby

03suby Well-Known Member

I was just asking a question or rather the what if'... I should have been more specific, I'm just on the fence.

I have the turbo back and gmbcs already just was thinking of trying something new.
    I knew better than to ask about the down pipe thats pretty much a no brain'r. I'll spend the money else where.

Its kinda like the BOV mod in a sense....

13. sjwelna

sjwelna Well-Known Member

Don't do that either..... :hsugh: