Tire recommendation for my 14 outback?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Optimus8304, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Optimus8304

Optimus8304 Member

I need to get new tires for my 2014 outback. But I don't know what tires to go with. If they were 16's I know what ones I'd get but they don't make them in 17's. I'd like to get a good all season tire so I don't have to get a different set wheels for winter tires and program new tpms or clone them. So anyone have any good recommendations for a good set of all season tires? They are 225/60/17. Thanks

2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I've always gone with Pirellis cinturato p7s

3. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

If you are looking at a year-round tire we really like the Continental DWS.

Optimus8304 likes this.
  4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

The best winter traction on a tire that's designed to be run all year, is the Nokian WRG4. They won't last as long, or be quite as quiet, but can't beat the grip.

That said, you live in MN, get snow tires. They're just better.

5. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

I agree with Chux, a set of winter tires is a good investment. It really is a saftey concern in this state, and having 2 sets of tires means they'll last longer. I've had my set of winter tires for about 6 years. This will probably be my last season with them, but they still kick @$$ in the snow!

6. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

On board with Chux & Cotts.... Dedicated winters are the way to go for the safety of everyone. I have summers/winters on separate wheels for our cars. All seasons don't cut it.
    Just deal with the TPMS light for winter ours don't have them.

7. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Oh if everyone is pitching winter tire. Yeah if you live in mn buy snow tires and deal with the light. I run p7s during the summer and i think the veloster and impreza both have blizzaks and the vw sportwagen has nokians

8. loxx0050

loxx0050 Well-Known Member

Same year outback here and for my winter set I'm running Michelin X-Ice3. On my 5th or was it 6th season upcoming this winter. Very good winter tire. I almost bought Nokia Hakkas instead but at the time the XIce were on sale for $200 cheaper for the set and wanted try them out since they were also rated very well for ice traction like the Hakkas since it's a non-studdable tire (much better than the cheaper Generals most recommend that is a great bang for buck winter tire option). Previously ran Dunlop Wintersport winter tires on the last car and it was good on snow but they sucked on ice. But thats what you get for a performance winter tire that has a Y speed rating.

I also replaced the OEM Continental tires that came with it back in April with Michelin Premiers. Much better rain/wet traction and surprisingly well winter traction for an all season tire (I still ran them up until last week so drove with these during that record October snow a few weeks ago). A little bit less sidewall firmness than I expected as I can feel them compress a bit in corners/turns. But so far so good. Only caveat is I don't have a lot of miles on these Premier tires yet. Pandemic and working from home I've only racked up just under 3k miles on them so far.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Optimus8304 likes this.
  9. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

I typically have run dedicated summer tires and winters, with Nokians as my preferred snow. But that was on WRXs, etc. On our Foz we run the factory all season Falkens in the summer and Nokian Hakka SUV snows in the winter. On my trucks though, it's really a pain in the ass ( and wallet) to run two different setups. I had been using Falken Wildpeak AT3, but the falloff in winter performance has been severe over time, so I'm getting a set of WRG4 SUV tires installed in about 2 hours. On my previous truck I ran the Nokian Rottivas which were the equivalent back then and they were phenomenal.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  10. Optimus8304

Optimus8304 Member

I think I found the tires I'm going with. My dad has a set of cooper evaluation winters. He said they are great in the snow and have love road noise on dry roads. They are only $229. A tire so that isn't bad.

11. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Any snow tire will out perform the best all-season in the winter. Enjoy.

12. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

"Only" $230 a tire? Hot damn...

13. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I know right!? I paid $480 for my entire set...mounted.:eek: You would think that they were 20 inch snow tires at that price.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  14. Optimus8304

Optimus8304 Member

Oops I hit 2 when i should of hit 1 lol. They are $129. A tire.