Tires plus wouldn't mount my tires

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Klesk, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Klesk

Klesk Well-Known Member

So I had a set of tires delivered to a tires plus near my work today and I showed up this evening with my summer rims to have said tires mounted. Manager asked me how much each rim cost and I told him. He replyed that he couldn't mount the tires because it was was too much of a liability. Anyone encounter this? The manager said they typically will only mount tires on rims that cost $100 or less. I kid you not! Any insight on where to go to get this done? I've got 4 tires and 4 rims at my place and will likely need to make 2 trips.

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Can you share the information on wheel size and tire size?
    If your looking for someone to still mount them talk to Jeff the Alignment guy. He is very good with taking extra care to make sure your wheels don't get damaged.
    My guess is the manager either didn't like your tires size per portioned to the wheel or that he knows his guys are a bunch of monkeys and doesn't want to have to deal with getting nice wheels repaired when they inevitably mess them up. If your tires are a reasonable size for your wheel then I would assume the latter and be happy he did not let his monkeys ruin your wheels.

TSTRBOY2004 and BroCo like this.
  3. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Samaritan Tire in Minnetonka. Ask for Blake. They mounted and dismounted the tires on my Works (a three thousand dollar set of wheels) with zero issues, ever.

The other person I trust with nice wheels is Erik at Bobby and Steve's in Bloomington, the 494/France location. He's been a good friend of mine for near 9 years now. A lot of stance guys bring their wheels to him because he's a wizard.

euro and Klesk like this.
  4. Klesk

Klesk Well-Known Member

Wheels are cosmis racing mr7's. 18x9

Tires are 255/40R18

You're probably right about the monkey business. Lol

5. derp

derp Well-Known Member

yeah, nobody competent should have an issue putting a 255 on a 9 inch wide wheel.

Klesk likes this.
  6. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever heard anybody claim that Tires Plus was competent. Quite the opposite.

TSTRBOY2004 and Ryan FailRad like this.
  7. derp

derp Well-Known Member

The one in White Bear has been fine for me for what I used them for.

Edit: Oops, no that's a discount tire. Tires plus is useless.

8. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

No truer words. Total hacks, and have no customer service skills whatsoever. Wronged me over 10 years ago...I hold a grudge for a LONG time (probably no one still working there that was there at the time). Samaritan Tire is great. I also have good things to say about Discount Tire, but they are not my "go to" tire shop.

Klesk and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  9. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Went to Tires Plus in Blaine one time as a last resort on a weekend. Had my own tires and just needed them mounted. They quoted me like $90 or something ludicrous because they make you replace the valve stems and also balance them. They're for a beater that hardly sees highway use. I went elsewhere...

Klesk likes this.
  10. Klesk

Klesk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll be calling Samaritan Tire tomorrow to set up an appointment. It's nice to know you guys speak so highly of them and it's relatively close to home. This is the first time I've heard of them so thanks!

11. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Ask for Blake, tell him Brett sent you.

Klesk likes this.
  12. Klesk

Klesk Well-Known Member

Totally will. Thanks!

13. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Lol that's ridiculous. If they only mounted tires on wheels that cost less than $100 they'd never do any business. Literally almost every OEM wheel is more than $100 (new anyway) and that's including steelies. Many are more expensive than decent aftermarket wheels. Only thing cheaper than that would be used wheels or really really cheap aftermarket ones. What a dumbass. I really wonder how much training the techs get at these chain stores. I had Discount Tire in Maplewood mount the NT05s on my Gram Lights and they did a half-assed job. Had another shop rebalance them and ended up using half as many weights with a better result.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  14. Kid_coupe

Kid_coupe Member

Don't go to Costco to have tires mounted on your car. Kids there think it's okay to bang off the rev limiter in your car.

Deathly likes this.
  15. Deathly

Deathly Well-Known Member

In the STI?

16. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Maybe carry your wheels in....

17. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Discount in EP had me drive the car into the bay and had me wait for the most competent guy to do my tires on the MINI, I appreciated it since they all liked the car and didn't want to see anything f'd up.

18. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

So if they don't like your car you're screwed?

19. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Could be, definitely made me less concerned, personally.