Toyota/Subaru Lightweight Sports Car

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hercules, Mar 4, 2008.

1. hercules

hercules New Member

2. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

I like. That better come here.

3. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

interesting. an impreza coupe! would be sweet if it retained enough impreza stuff to make it engine/drivetrain/suspension swappable!!!

4. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

I thought the same thing - but they're looking for a smaller, and lighter engine, SO, no go on the 2.5 swap I'm thinking. :(

5. tux121

tux121 Well-Known Member

Kind of looks like a re-designed Scion tC.

6. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

yeah def. a tc

7. StatGSR

StatGSR Well-Known Member

looks better than i would have thought, should be interesting to see what becomes of it!

8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

looking at the cutout of the "EL15" engine, it looks extremely similar to an EJ series motor.

as long as they keep it longitudinally mounted, I bet it would be possible.

9. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

So, it's a Scion TC. Sweeeeeeet

10. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Toyota/Subaru Lightweight Sports Car

[​IMG]
    Best Car Scoop - A few weeks ago on September 3rd, Daily Car Newspaper (Japan) reported on an interview with Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe and his announcement of a joint Toyota-Subaru ‘Entry Level Sports Car’ which is underway and in it’s initial development phase, with a test mule spotted on a test course at Toyota’s headquarters in Toyota City.
    [​IMG]
    The Test Mule
    The test mule is actually still very early in it’s development and in its experimental stage being based on a shortened Subaru Legacy chassis and running a SOHC 2.0L flat-four engine. Best Car isn’t aware of any wheelbase measurements at this time, but going by reports the test mule chassis is around 200mm shorter than it’s Legacy donor platform. The Legacy underpinnings are for experimental purposes only as the new Toyota Lightweight Sports Car will actually be based on a shortened Impreza 15S platform which is better suited to a smaller 1.5 - 2.0L (flat-four) engine and has ‘rear wheel drive friendly’ double wishbone rear suspension. The test mule is in very early stages with the car running the aforementioned 2.0L SOHC engine and a 4WD driveline (without front drive shafts) so it isn’t undergoing any serious performance driving tests at this point in time. Apparently Toyota has the ability to have this new lightweight sports car ready and on the market by the end of next year… if only they were so inclined. Instead, a lot of effort is being put into getting the most performance while keeping the retail price below 2,000,000 yen.
    [​IMG]
    Why a 1.5L engine?
    Price seems to be the limiting factor regarding the type of engine, and therefore total weight, of the Toyota Lightweight Sports Car. Best Car has been told that if a larger 2.0L engine were to be used, the cost of the car would definitely rise above the 2,000,000 yen limit and would then not live up to its ‘Entry Level Sports Car’ namesake. Also the rear differential sourced from Subaru (from the Impreza 15S) has been cited as a weak link, it being limited to engines of 2.0L capacity or under for reliability concerns. The 1.5L engine - named ‘EL15? - is a DOHC flat-four powerplant and is also noted for producing less emissions than it’s larger SOHC sibling which is another important criteria that Toyota is trying to address. The EL15 only puts out 110ps @ 6,400rpm and 14.7kg/m @ 3,200rpm so Toyota is doing its best to lighten the chassis and body as much as possible in order to give the car a reasonable amount of performance. Just how much weight can be shed? Toyota is aiming for 1100kg and no more… this is another reason why the 2.0L engine was rejected as the larger engine would dictate a heavier chassis which in turn would exceed the 1100kg (total vehicle) weight limit by 100kg or more, even with considerable weight reduction. Only so much weight can be shed, and only so much can be done to keep the Lightweight Sports Car within the 2,000,000 yen limit so Toyota has a big job on its hands to address these issues and will certainly be an ongoing problem throughout the development cycle.
    [​IMG]
    Possible WRC Challenger?
    Best Car hints at a possible WRC challenger in the making! Toyota could easily use Subaru STi engines and 4WD chassis together with the lightweight FR body for an assault on the World Rally Championship. This is just wishful thinking at this stage but Best Car sees no reason why this wouldn’t be a possibility.
    [​IMG]
    Main Target Market: Europe
    Toyota hopes the Lightweight Sports Car will appeal to young European drivers by keeping prices low and giving it a sleek and sporty shape inspired by previous successful designs. The smaller capacity and light weight will put the new Toyota Sports Car up against some well established European competition, but the main focus will be excellent value for money, so we can expect prices to be between 1,800,000 and 2,000,000 yen (in Japan). In the future Toyota hopes the Lightweight Sports Car will be equally successful in China and other markets as well. If development progresses at a fast rate we could see the Toyota Lightweight Sports Car on the market by late 2009 or early 2010.

11. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

New Nissan Silvia? Compact FR Sports

[​IMG]
    Nissan to take on the Toyota/Subaru alliance with a sub-2.0L sports coupe… and arrive sooner.
    Last year we reported on the existence of a Toyota/Subaru lightweight sports car which was music to the ears of AE86 or ‘Hachi Roku’ fans around the world who have been eagerly awaiting a successor to their much loved and much respected small car. Well Nissan isn’t going to let such a move by Toyota go unanswered with the news that there is a test mule undergoing trials at the moment based on the new Z-car platform with a 2.0L NA, or possibly a 1.6 - 1.8L turbo engine.
    [​IMG]
    Initial reports stated that the Toyota/Subaru FR sports car would enter the market in early 2010, but that has since been put back to 2011. The biggest news is that Nissan are aiming to beat Toyota and bring their new FR sports competitor to market in the ‘latter half’ of 2010. Nissan have acknowledged the lack of an entry level sports car to appeal to younger buyers and this new FR based coupe is being designed with “enjoyable handling” in mind to keep them from turning to other manufacturers. The size of the car closely resembles the previous S15 Silvia, the new FR coupe’s dimensions being 4350mm in length, 1750mm in width and with a wheelbase identical to the the new Fairlady/350 Z platform of 2550mm. As with the Toyota/Subaru sports car, the new Nissan compact FR sports coupe will attempt to keep weight at a minimum, although the extent of which is unknown at present.
    It’s possible that a 2.0L NA engine with a higher output will power the compact FR sports car range, with totally new 1.6L or 1.8L direct injection turbo engines also being considered for the task. The smaller capacity turbo engines are looking favorable at this point, largely due to the inclusion of Nissan’s VCR (Variable Compression Ratio) Piston-Crank System which will improve fuel economy - like that of a small capacity NA engine around town - and also provide high power when needed. The VCR equipped 1.6L turbo engine was mentioned along with the Roundbox concept at last years Tokyo Motor Show so it could very well make it into the compact FR sports coupe. Best Car calculates that around 150ps will be available in high compression mode, with anything up to 225ps in low compression turbocharged mode.
    At this point the price is expected to be kept under the 2,500,000 yen mark.

12. Dan

Dan New Member

If they can keep it at or below the 1100 kg (~2400 lb) target weight and still get a 5-star crash rating out of it, this could be a really good car. The big question: will the Subaru version get AWD?

13. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I HIGHLY doubt a modern USDM AWD car could get down to 2400.....

hell, my car can't even say that. and it'd probably struggle for a 2 star rating. and has the torsional rigidity of a wet noodle.

14. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

Yeah, no doubt.

My old GSR Integra weighed 2600 lbs.

15. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

My Fiero was light as hell. :biggrin:

16. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

the sticker on mine says 2700 or so. Thats with the beefy 4eat. It is possible.

I am intrigued by this. The 1.5l Impreza in europe has the D/R transmission. I really hope that they bring this over here. It would be alot of fun. Also EJ257 swap. little car + big motor = lotsa fun. Might need to swap out for the STi driveline though since it sounds like that rear diff is a ticking time bomb.

17. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

i recall this being older news... good none the less