Tuner recommendations - Or "How not to respond to a request for recommendation."

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by chriswelckle, Sep 2, 2018.

1. chriswelckle

chriswelckle Well-Known Member

Just looking for tuner recommendations from people I recognize here. PM me if you like.

2013 WRX wagonback pretty much stock except for a injen cold air intake right now and M2 exhaust catback.

Modifications:Blouch 20GxTR ball bearing turbo, godspeed front mount intercooler, ID 1000cc injectors with deatchwerks fuel pump, grimmspeed boost control solenoid, catless downpipe, cat back stainless M2 exhaust
    Problem Description: need a tuner to tune
    Recent Modifications/Maintenance: all the above are about to happen. Need a limp to the shop tune on my accessport and a final tune.

Thinking RS motors. Better suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Hey Chris! Devin at JM Automotive up in Osseo is a great option if you can’t get ahold of Ronnie!

https://www.jmautomn.com/

chriswelckle likes this.
  3. tangledupinblu

06D7A119-A795-4576-9284-617ECD97887C.jpeg

4. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Fixed

EricS and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  5. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

JM also gets my vote for where I would take a car if I needed a local tuner.

chriswelckle likes this.
  6. GotGrip?

GotGrip? Member

Just had my car tuned at JM, amazing service and speedy, and they do a great job helping you get the best bang for you buck.

oscar velazquez likes this.
  7. unhguy78

unhguy78 Well-Known Member

I had an interesting conversation this weekend with a nice guy about Subarus, and this topic wound itself into the conversation so I thought I would share this information with the group. This guy worked at a shop near JM. One day a guy comes in for a 3000 mile oil change after getting his motor built at JM. When the tech went to drain the oil, it was bone dry; that's right, the JM guys forgot to put oil in the brand new build and this poor customer drove around for 3000 miles without oil. A number of weeks later, he watched a built Fozzy taking pulls up and down the street, only to watch the thing blow; the root cause was again, no oil in the engine after work at JM.

I can't verify this information, but it is direct from the source of the guy who was hands on and he had zero reason to make this up. Personally I would be hesitant to go to a shop that had multiple incidences of such negligence, but they seem to have a good reputation with the local community which should be an important factor.

The moral of the story? Check your oil level periodically! Especially after any service is done.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  8. JasonoJordan

Sounds like alot of hearsay about an other wise reputable company. At any rate even if it did happen I can 100% guarantee that it costed the customer nothing but time to have the issue remedied. That is how well the JM shop is owned/operated.

*Edit* Also I HIGHHLLLLLY doubt even a built engine would last 3000 miles with no oil in it.

AspitFire and joebush44 like this.
  9. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

I wouldn't count on that hearsay being worth anything. The guys at JM do incredible work for a massive number of members in the community, pumpin g out multiple engines per week, and I'm yet to hear of a bad experience. If there was one, Jesse and his guys would handle it immediately and to the best of their ability to make sure everyone comes out ahead. You can't build such a big following and bigger customer base if you have a tech forgetting oil. That would sour a reputation nearly instantly around here.

10. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

Everyone has an opinion, but that claim seems very unlikely considering the oil change schedule after a rebuild by JM. After I had my motor built there, they did an initial oil change, and I had to do one at 500, and 1000 miles per the build instructions. If those individuals neglected to change the oil until 3000 after having a motor built then they have no business driving a Subaru imo. I’ve talked to people who’ve had both good and bad experiences at JM, but I am a customer for life after Jesse and his team dealt with my constant questions, and me bringing my wagon back for tweaks and additional part installs. I’m 9000 miles into my build with literally no issues.

11. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

12. unhguy78

Maybe it was the 500 mile oil change. A number is easily lost in memory, fabricating a story about how he pulled an oil plug and no oil came out doesn't make sense to me. Hearing the standard of 500mi makes sense after a build, and would also make sense why the person was able to drive without oil.

13. tangledupinblu

I could see it happening. Every one makes mistakes. Either way, there is no way that Jesse wouldn’t right that wrong if it happened. They stand behind their builds/work.

So if you tell me that he found the motor without oil and JMA didn’t right the wrong, i’d call BS.

chriswelckle likes this.
  14. JasonoJordan

Not saying he fabricated the story but even 500 miles on a brand new motor with 0 oil is a statistical anomaly.

Krazylegz1485 and idget like this.
  15. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

This. I can't imagine assembly lube being sufficient lubrication for 50 miles much less 500.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  16. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Unless it's a Hilux/4runner. @blackozone has a funny/not funny story about that...

17. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

3000 miles on a fresh "build" for a Subaru, and it didn't make any weird noises? There's a number of holes in Nice Guy's story. I wouldn't buy it.

>be me
    >be working at Toyota/Ford dealership doing oil changes
    >older Toyota tech calls people in the shop around to "come look at this"
    >few of us gather 'round a 90's 4Runner and ask "what's up?"
    >Toyota Elder explains that 4Runner was brought in for an engine that won't engine anymore
    >4Runner is up in the air on hoist, Toyota Elder points to the oil filter
    >all see that the filter only has samurai letters on it, no American
    >thiscanonlymeanonething.jpg
    >lady never changed oil, only added when low
    >4Runner put in over 140,000 miles before giving up
    >moral of story: it's never to late to get out of an abusive relationship

18. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Never mind the fact that the oil light would be on under 5psi of oil pressure. To have oil pressure, you need enough oil to hit the bottom of the pickup..

Krazylegz1485 and blackozone like this.
  19. tangledupinblu

Maybe the other guy hates the loud Subarus pulling in and out of there every day and thought that he’d start some chit? lol

20. JasonoJordan

Or maybe applied for a job he didn't get and salty?

21. tangledupinblu

Stupidheads.

22. unhguy78

All valid points. Like I said, grain of salt. This guy had a WRX of his own so he knew quite a lot, but who knows what the backstory is. He didn't know the aftermath, so it's very possible the shop made it up; mistakes do happen, so it would be interesting to confirm the story and how the shop handled it.

Anyway, just wanted to share a story I heard to arm someone making a decision with a data point. Long story short, when is this build happening? I have a 13 as well and would love to see what you use and what your results are!

23. idget

Interested to know which shop and whether this mysterious person still works there. Mostly so I can avoid said shop due to lack of professionalism and tact, but also out of curiosity.

24. tangledupinblu

@jmyhre05 ? Have you heard of these stories?

25. SlowSC

SlowSC Well-Known Member

JM Auto is my go-to, especially dealing with ****ty customer service from NF Performance years ago (Not from Fuji, that dude is a Subaru guru!). I've brought in multiple cars, various issues, and come out a happy customer every time when dealing with JM. Jesse has even helped me map out a future engine build plan with the breakdown of every part, process, and price. Definitely can't see them cutting corners.

26. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

Based on my interactions with the upcoming generation of Subaru owners, owning a WRX is an inverse qualifier to knowledge and understanding.

joebush44, readymix, pillboy and 7 others like this.
  27. Terry Ammerman

Terry Ammerman Well-Known Member

I tip my hat to Jesse if he has stumbled across a combination of parts that will go 3k without oil. We all know he is good, but DAMN!!!!

pillboy, Mnelson, jmyhre05 and 2 others like this.
  28. jmyhre05

jmyhre05 Well-Known Member

Lol!

First of all, as mentioned we work hand and hand with all of our customers and all problems that come along the way. I could name basically every single mistake we have ever made.

To the claims: we build a engine and did not add oil and it was none dry after 3k miles? As mentioned we require break in oil changes to get the assembly lubes out. If a engine had no oil in it, I'd estimate it would last about 10 mins of driving before it was completely seized... if that. We pressure tank every single one of our engine builds and every car has a operating oil pressure light that would come on typically when it's about 3 quarts low.

We have had about 4 engines fails that we are aware of.

First one, customer brought in used injectors for the build. After making great power and running for almost a year he began misfiring and having issues. Compression loss on one of the cylinders ended up being a melted piston and scored cylinder way. Sent injectors for flow testing and that cylinder was the culprit. That customer got 50% off the new engine even though we proved we did nothing wrong.

Second one was a piston ring failure. Rings did not break in properly on drop in pistons with a brand new block. They slowly ground away the sleeves until the fine metal bits scored the bearings, caused avcs codes, then spun a bearing. We tore it down and found the problem and worked hand in hand with Manley and we warrantied it 100% for the customer. Manley paid nothing but gave us some great information.

3rd was due to a high hp engine that we were running a cheaper conventional oil and revving too high we suspect. Lesson learned and customer got a brand new engine, and even upgraded him from a 2.1 to a hybrid build.

4th one is sitting at the shop waiting for the oil analysis to come back with about 5k miles on the engine. Oil was black and low and customer cannot show any receipts for oil changes even though he should have changed about 3-4 times. This will likely cost the customer the cost of parts and labor taken care of.

Out of probably 150 engines we have built, I'd say that isn't bad. If this "local" shop is seeing all these subaru's of ours blow up I'd assume out Google and Facebook reviews would show something with about 150 reviews averaging a 5.0 star review (not even a 4.9)

Lastly you mentioned a Foz blowing up doing pulls on the street... we have a dyno... we rarely do pulls on the street. Say a foz did blow up doing pulls on the street. How does he know we were driving? How does he know we built the engine? How does he know it blew up because it had no oil?

That's all that comes to mind currently. I hate to have to respond to a post like this but all I can share is my knowledge direct with the situations that I'm made aware of. Good luck on the ghost stories!

P.S. with all the holes in his stories you should say who he is so he can say his side of it besides just mine, lol. Would be entertaining.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  29. jmyhre05

jmyhre05 Well-Known Member

I still to this day recommend Ron for people who say we are too far and are in the south metro. There are always going to be people who hate him, Shane, NF, or us. There are always rumors that get spread and there are always 2 sides to every story. Nobody is perfect, but we always try to take care of our customers within reason when were told about issues.

I hear them all about the other shops and knowing those shops I take most claims with a grain of salt. There is plenty of business to go around for us and will always be. We all take care of our customers as much as we can and claims will always come up.

But Performance some customers are some of the hardest to please and always have the boldest stories... just saying.

Thanks guys!

30. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

Can't say enough good things about Jesse (JM) and Ron (RS). I would trust both of them any day of the week.

subie-roo and Terry Ammerman like this.
  31. tangledupinblu

Savage/Burnsville is definitely closer to Prior Lake.

Chris, did you ever resolve this issue or what!? Lol

32. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

:facepalm:

I suggest a much, much more rigorous standard for weighting the veracity of the sources for your "data points". At this point between the two of you you're treading deep into libel and slander territory.

33. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Not only did I like this quote, but I hope that we bring back polygamy so I can take it home, marry it and have a bunch of little quotes with it.

34. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that your friend is a tech and thought that an engine would survive running 3k miles without oil, or that the story of an engine running 3k miles without oil didn't raise any red flags with you.

35. derp

derp Well-Known Member

lol 3000 miles on zero oil.

next on magical bullsh*t storytime to discredit a shop, I heard Jesse eats babies!

GTFO.

36. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I actually heard the same thing from a guy who has a baby, and the fact that he has a baby, makes him a baby expert.

37. unhguy78

Lol you guys are funny. I really don't have an opinion about any of this, just sharing information. But, I will say it is alarming how quick you are to immediately dismiss a story because you don't agree with it and can poke a hole in it and then accuse people of slander and attempting to discredit something/someone; I didn't realize I posted on 4-chan lol

38. idget

Personally, I'm not dismissing anything. I'm saying this is a really bad look for you. How you internalize that is 100% on you. I'm simply looking for more context to an improbable story that has not so simple implications.

39. JasonoJordan

Dude you came here passing along a "story" about a well regarded company and your story makes 0 damn sense. What did you expect people to say? Not only do you make yourself look a idiot but your source as well. So stop while you have any dignity left and move along. Or keep bleating on how we are the problem by dismissing your story and "accusing you" of slander either way will make everyone else that is here alot happier.

As someone who has myself shared a story blindly without thinking it through and deciding if the story was plausible or not learn from your mistake and move on.

joebush44 likes this.
  40. derp

derp Well-Known Member

we're quick to dismiss a story because there's no f*cking way a car goes 3000 miles with zero oil. at least make an attempt to base your anecdotes in reality and fact. and, no opinion? if that were true you wouldn't have posted.

if you're alarmed by a standard response (IE, calling you on your BS) to a story so full of holes that saying it has the integrity of a seive is being generous, maybe you should think twice before telling stories trying to be whatever you intrepret 'helpful' as.

41. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

4-chan? I'm going to push you down and silence your BS story with my endless teabagging. gEt rEkCT.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  42. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

That isn't information, its pure fantasy. Nothing about it holds up, at all, and you've been called out for it and are back peddling.

43. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Exactly, a story. Fictional. Unrealistic.

No, we all agree it isn't a logical situation given our collective experience and expertise, including multiple professionals.

(edit: except our professional credibility is tarnished because most of us don't have a wrx)

We poked the hole? That story is basically Swiss cheese on its own. Plus it stunk.

That's where this all started and it wasn't by us.

Just like stinky cheese, we can smell bull**** from a mile away. Most of us here lack the "social filters" that has softened the skin of everyone and anyonewho's never been told they are wrong.

I haven't been here long but I learned that real quick.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  44. SurlyOldManMN

Of course we're going to poke holes in negative reviews of any sort. That's basic critical thinking 101. I recommend you adopt a similar stance before spreading technically improbable second hand hearsay "information" designed to defame the image of, and negatively impact a business. If it's spoken that's slander, if it's written that's libel. It's in your best interest to avoid being guilty of libel when you have ****-all-zero grounds to backup your "data points".

This is not a safe space. If you have legitimate complaints with reasonable evidence to back it up then by all means... It can and has happened were a vendor was rightfully discredited due to clear, corroborated actions. If you expect to spread an "opinion" based on some rando from a direct competitor making claims that are impossible due to the laws of physics without getting any push back, you have indeed picked the wrong community. You are more than welcome to take your ball and go home.

joebush44 likes this.
  45. SurlyOldManMN

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    readymix, pillboy, Mnelson and 2 others like this.