Tuning question

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by minnesotanice, Feb 1, 2017.

1. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

I know about the thread with places to get tunes. My first preference is Nuke and Fuji, but I sent them an email a couple weeks back and have yet to hear anything back from them. I also talked with RS for a couple exchanges, but then they went dark and stopped talking to me, whether because they got busy or just brushed me off. I know JM is getting a dyno soon, but as of now I don't see anything about them offering a tuning service. My last resort is DB out in Rogers but I'm hesitant to talk with them seeing the luck I've had. I'm looking at doing an E85 Stage 2 tune with my STi. Any thoughts are welcomed.

2. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I had JM road tune our WRX last April. First off, these guys actually communicate with you. Secondly, they did an excellent job with the conservative tune I wanted. Lastly, the price was good enough that I felt true value out of the money spent. They probably should have charged me extra for all the questions I asked :)

3. minnesotanice

That's good! I'm not too worried about the price, I'm getting a protune to make sure that I'm getting the best I can get for what I want from my car. I'll get in touch with them and see what they think.

4. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer a road tune over a dyno tune. Just based off the limited exp I have had with JM they are very knowledgeable and personable.

Navar Hren likes this.
  5. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

I have heard the book of face is the best way to communicate with NF.

pho_real likes this.
  6. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Graham at Boosted Performance Tuning out of Des Moines is where I'll be going when I'm ready. He's been very helpful and responsive to questions. I'm also 2 hours south of the cities so it's nearly as far a drive for me to DM as it is to the cities. I had Nuke tune my '07 a couple of years ago. Those guys do great work, but are too difficult to get a hold of so not going to waste my breath there. No personal experiences with the other options in the cities.

7. minnesotanice

Just message Nuke on there? I couldn't find Fuji.

That's an option, I'm down that way often. Do they do work other than just tuning? I'm planning on putting on the exhaust and downpipe and just going with a Cobb stage 2 until I'm ready for the tune, then just putting in the rest when I'm ready. I also don't have a trailer to carry the car.

8. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

"book of face" AKA Facebook lol. King Nuke and Fuji Khang

I don't think Graham does anything but tuning out of BPT, but I know Off the Line Performance is in DM also and I believe they can install aftermarket parts. I don't think OTL has an "in house" tuner...they bring Jr Berrios (JRTuned) in every so often for tuning sessions, but he's pretty expensive.

If you can install the parts yourself, Graham (or any reputable tuner) should be able to send you a base map that will be sufficient enough for you to drive the car down, gently (stay out of boost), for a tuning session. I wouldn't really recommend running a Cobb OTS map...just wait until you're ready for the pro tune before installing your parts. You could probably get by with an OTS map if you monitor your car carefully and/or not beat the snot out of it.

9. minnesotanice

I got the Facebook part lol these dang kids and their goofy lingo. With the parts I would install before the tune, I've been told that I'll be safe with the Cobb OTS map, that being said it won't be a long term thing and I will definitely stay out of boosting it. The parts that I'm worried about installing before the tune are the fuel pump, injectors, and EBCS. I'm thinking that what I'm going to end up doing is just installing everything and then just finding a trailer to bring it wherever I get it tuned.

10. JasonoJordan

Trailer is the safest bet. Most tuners as stated will toss you a tune a tune to get you down there though.

11. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Jesse and the gang at JMA can install and tune. If you are patient enough to wait, they will have a dyno installed this year. You might need to touch base with Jesse as to when tho.

Devin(D-Tune) is their tuner and is a great guy to work with. Solid tune and solid prices!

minnesotanice likes this.
  12. minnesotanice

I'll get in touch with them. Do you know if he does E85 tunes? I'm not planning on the tune until late April/May time frame.

13. JasonoJordan

Yes they do e85.

14. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

April-ish if memory serves. It'll be pretty rad!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  15. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

Just message him there. Since you are going e85 you may want to ask what else is required/recommended. Fuel pump? With just exhaust and a down pipe you can drive with the stock gas tune I would think just stay out of high boost. Then fill with e85 with the tuner. I would recommending getting both a gas tune and a e85 tune and wait until the Summer e85 is for sale for that e85. e85 and cold winter = poor starting. real e85 = moar power.

16. subietech

subietech Active Member

Try DB Performance, I've known them for years and they are great guys!!

minnesotanice likes this.
  17. EarlS

EarlS Member

I did my WRX stage 2 tune at DB a year ago. Excellent communication through email and phone. No issues with the car so far. Did the work earlier than expected too. I would go back there for additional work.

tangledupinblu and minnesotanice like this.