Turbo and exhaust problems...need help and opinions!

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Ryes, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Ryes

Ryes Active Member

Hey guys,

o2 Subaru WRX - 150000 miles

This problem have been going on for at least 6 months but I'm not sure exactly what it is. My check engine light is on for starters. I seem to have lost most of my boost, but every now and then it kicks in. So I think the turbo is shot but it still works from time to time. I'm wondering if there is a short in a sensor some where or maybe a constriction of air flow in the turbo assembly??? Also when I am idled I can smell exhaust/burning. It's leaking some oil a little bit but it doesn't seem like enough to be constantly burning. I have also repaired the exhaust from the down pipe back, so I'm pretty sure that it is not leaking into the air system/vent system. The smell seems to get worst the colder the temperature outside.

My main concern is having to buy a new turbo. I'm not sure it's worth it as the car is pretty old and I want to upgrade within a year. The weird thing is is that the turbo will kick in seldom at random times.? Not sure what that means. Any help or things to check would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

So your check engine light is on, you're low on boost and still driving it hard? Probably not doing your engine any favors there. Bad turbo leaking oil into the exhaust could be the smell. Might be time for a new boost maker.

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I definitely wouldn't drive it that way. You should replace the turbo or sell the car now. It only has 150,000, which is pretty low mileage for a nearly 15 year old car.

Do yourself a favor and don't blow the motor!

4. jmyhre05

jmyhre05 Well-Known Member

Stock uppipe and downpipe? sounds like clogging cat.... a bad turbo wouldn't work then not work most likely. also oil burning smell is a different issue. valve cover gasket on passenger side, oil cooler O-ring, oil pan leaking, turbo drain tube? sounds like you need it inspected, it won't get diagnosed over the Internet. take it to RS, DB, NF or JM.

If you want to schedule something at JM message us at www.facebook.com/jmautomn or call us during business hours.
    Www.jmautomn.com

tangledupinblu and silver03 like this.
  5. Ryes

Ryes Active Member

Ok thanks for the reply's guys!

yes stock uppipe and downpipe.

what does RS, DB and NF stand for?

BTW I live in St. Paul

6. jmyhre05

jmyhre05 Well-Known Member

RS motors in Burnsville
    NF performance in Columbia heights
    And DB performance in Rodgers

All 4 shops specialize in performance vehicles and Subaru's .

Mattnes17 and tangledupinblu like this.
  7. Medic_538

Medic_538 Well-Known Member

Take it to advance auto parts or auto zone and have them pull the code. I would start there and report back.

8. Terry Ammerman

Terry Ammerman Well-Known Member

I would guess the damage is already done if the boost kicks in and out.