Turbo-back exhaust opinions

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Jason C, May 27, 2017.

1. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

I'm looking into a full turbo-back exhaust for my 2017 Limited WRX and would like some input on some ideas I am thinking of. I am interested in a quiet exhaust, and by that I don't mean like stock levels, but a bit louder is acceptable so long as it doesn't drone at highway speeds. I've been browsing YouTube clips trying to get a sense of what the various brands sound like, but I know they don't compare to being able to actually hear it in person. So far, I feel Cobb's catted and resonated TBE is among the most tame sounding exhausts. ETS seems also fairly quiet. Suppose I'll have to come to some upcoming meets and see what you guys have.

I am not trying to squeeze out every bit of power from the engine, just want to try and have a little more lively driving experience without pissing off the wife. I currently have the SPT exhaust that was dealer installed at purchase and also have the leftover stock catback in my garage. I do like the deeper and more aggressive note the SPT catback has, so that is kind of a target sound level. I understand an aftermarket j-pipe will make any catback louder and I'm wondering if welding in a large resonator in the SPT catback would bring things back to stock j-pipe levels? Any thoughts on an aftermarket j-pipe with the stock catback? As I understand, it is the j-pipe that is most restrictive and not so much the stock catback. I am not opposed to buying a complete TBE system, but I'd rather not have more parts in my garage and would prefer to use what I already have.

Thanks!

Edit: car is stock and has the SPT exhaust and STI short throw shifter as the two factory "upgrades". I have the MAPerformance 91 octane tune as the only alteration.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Leave the SPT on there and add the j-pipe. If it's too loud, you can probably have a larger resonator welded into the SPT to quiet it back down.

Edit:sell stock exhaust and recoup some costs on the j-pipe. :)

Nhibbs and Jason C like this.
  3. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

readymix and Jason C like this.
  4. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

5. Jason C

I'm planning for catted and resonated j-pipe in some feeble attempt to be environmentally friendly, and to perhaps help with some noise reduction. Cobb seems to have a j-pipe that is both. Any recommendations for install shops? I could put on the j-pipe myself, but I don't have a welder for the resonator if I need one. Figured I'd just as well buy from a reputable shop and have them install and possibly just put in the resonator at the same time. Better too quiet than not quiet enough. JMA does exhaust work?

6. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

You're doing this whole Subaru thing all wrong.

7. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Stock catback and aftermarket j pipe. I wouldn't worry about that being too loud.

8. Jason C

Haha! Yeah, I suppose I am. I just don't want to listen to my wife complain about a noisy car. Then again, if it's loud enough, I won't be able to hear her anyways... At any rate, happy wife, happy life and all that.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  9. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Maddad whisper and the Borla Hush are good options. Quiet, with a nice low tone. I have the Borla on my 04 wagon and couldn't be happier with the sound.

Jason C likes this.
  10. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

... says the guy with the 8" manufactured pipe!

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  11. Jason C

Well shoot. Her Highness (wife) issued a royal edict, "we are buying a new bed this weekend!". Guess the TBE will have to wait. Thinking I'm going to go with keeping the SPT catback for now and having a resonated and catted j-pipe installed first to see how things sound. Then likely have the biggest resonator welded into the midpipe of the catback later on. Anyone know of reputable exhaust shops in the northern burbs? I had tried Tim's Custom Exhaust before, but didn't have good results with them repairing rusted out muffler/pipe on my old car.

MrBlue and tangledupinblu like this.
  12. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

And to the Queen it goes... for the kings record, resonaters in general give the "RICE" sound, mid range muffeled reverberating lack of the true power avaliable.... My wife wanted to kick my ass when I went no cat SPT on hers... she loves the sound now... she's like a good mitten, make her want it !

Jason C and tangledupinblu like this.
  13. Jason C

I've read some folks with a TBE and a "stage 2" tune remove the restrictor pill. MAPerformance lists pill removal as required for their stage 2 tune. Seems there can be a lot of negative effects from pill removal like not building proper boost. Those of you with a TBE, did you remove the pill or leave it in? Is pill presence more of a decision made by the tuner?

14. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

My understanding is with the stock ebcs the vac line should have the pill in it.

Jason C likes this.
  15. Jason C

Thanks. If one were to go with a TBE, is an aftermarket EBCS recommended to get the most out of the upgrade? From what I gather, the larger j-pipe allows the turbo to blow exhaust gasses out faster and more efficiently, allowing it to spool up and build more boost faster. So it seems the stock EBCS isn't able to handle the increase in boost as well so it would serve as the limiting factor in realizing power gains, yes?

Honestly, the more I am reading about doing more power mods, the more I am inclined to remain stock. If this was my track/fun car, I'd tinker with it, but being my DD, I need it to be reliable.

16. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

EBCS is a great increase in ability for your tuner to make it a more reliable tune.

Ultimately, it is up to you! Stock is pretty darn reliable. Stage 2 is very similar in that aspect. Both are good reliable options. It's when you REALLY start tinkering with things that bring that reliability level down.

If you choose to go stage 2, i would absolutely put an aftermarket EBCS in.

***Personal experience plug for your decision:
    I ran my '02 WRX for 4 years stock and loved it! I then ran about another 4 years at stage 2 and loved it as well. I then proceeded to go hybrid/franken build and have loved that too.(although it has been less reliable)lol

Whatever decision that you make is the right choice!:D

Jason C likes this.
  17. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

In the immortal words of Bosco, one of the mods from the early days of LegacyGT.com..."Stay stock, stay happy".

I also suspect the wife's level of happiness will be at the highest if you don't spend another dollar on that kid's toy in the garage.

Jason C and tangledupinblu like this.
  18. Jason C

Good one, Pillboy! So very true. I already blew enough cash on the new bed so I'm holding off on future purchases for a while. She already has her eye on a completely new set of fancier sheets and a comforter...

Actually, I am quite happy with the way the car is stock. The only real "mod" I did to the powertrain is the AP with a 91 octane tune from MAperformance. Doesn't really feel any more powerful, but I just like the linear throttle map more than anything else. Like anyone who has been bitten by the mod bug, I always wonder about how much more fun the car would be if it had a little more power, better handling, etc... Then goes the slippery slope of needing more mods to support the mods you just did since the stock parts aren't up to the task and so on and so forth.

tangledupinblu likes this.