Upgraded Turbo on Stock Block?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Pauline, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Pauline

Pauline New Member

I’m just curious. I’ve heard from several people that they would comfortably throw a bigger turbo (fp blue, 20g, around there) on their sti and run around 20 psi, and that it would be “okay”. Personally, I think building your block before doing modifications like this is the way to go. What do you think? Are you running an upgraded turbo with your stock block? How long has it lasted? How hard do you drive?
    Thanks for entertaining my curiosity :coffee:

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

A lot of people successfully run 16g, 18g, 20g turbos all day on unbuilt blocks. I ran a bigger turbo at 20psi, but it was OEM VF48 off of an STi.

But to get a better understanding...which stock block?

Aegis likes this.
  3. 02subbieRS

02subbieRS Well-Known Member

That's not a bad way of thinking about your build. By far the safest way with the most overhead. I am currently running a 18G @ 21PSI on my stock block JDM EJ205. Granted I have only been running it for a year so far, it will be leading a hard life as it is going to serve as my track vehicle. I do agree with you though that a strong base is better to build off of.

Pauline likes this.
  4. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Also if you go the larger turbo route don't forget there are alot of supporting mods you will need to do for it to run safely and efficiently.

IE: Fuel pump and injectors

Flipndabrd likes this.
  5. Pauline

Pauline New Member

well yes, of course.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  6. Pauline

Pauline New Member

well this is shining new light into the capabilities of the sti for me. has anyone done an oil analysis after running their upgraded turbos for a bit?

7. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

I ran a VF43 at 21 psi on my stock EJ205 for 6 years without issue. I did not baby it. If you have the cash, build the block for peace of mind and longevity.

I don't have an oil analysis, but I changed oil every 2k miles running conventional. I have a built block with a 20G now, and I change every 3k with synthetic. If you have a pre-2011, this service bulletin might be of interest: http://oilordering.com/service-intervals-for-subaru-vehicles-equipped-with-turbochargers/

Pauline likes this.
  8. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

One of the largest factors in the entire equation is the tuner, in all honesty. Not that I would recommend it, but CJ ran mid 9's on a completely stock (unopened) longblock. For how long, probably not very. Cylinder pressure and detonation is what kills motors.

That being said, as a rule of thumb you should be "safe" at around 450whp on the stock longblock. The FP Blue would be a good choice and should get you to that power level on e85. A buddy of mine is running an FP Blue on his stock longblock, 140k mile, 02 WRX 2.0L and made 421whp on e85 - it's been running strong since spring. You should make a little more with the larger displacement, AVCS, and a competent tuner.

9. Pauline

Pauline New Member

wow this blows my mind! thank you for the info. here I am scared to go on e85 with my stock motor :wideyed: (I do know of the benefits of E85)

10. joebush44

It has pros and cons, but it's much safer (higher detonation resistance) than regular pump 93. It's more like running 110oct. It also has a cooling effect in the combustion chamber. I would strongly suggest looking into going Cobb Flex Fuel - it's amazing.

Not sure what other mods you have currently, but in addition to Cobb FF kit this is the minimum you'd need:
    Walbro 255 (or 450) fuel pump
    ID1050X injectors
    TBE
    EBCS
    Turbo of your choice in 20g range
    Quality tune
    Send it

(Not sure if you have an 06 or 07 STi, but if you have an 06 it's going to complicate things because then you'll have to convert from side feed to top feed injectors.)

Don't be scurrrred

jubella2 and tangledupinblu like this.
  11. tangledupinblu

This seems to be a common misconception. From my understanding, built blocks don’t have longevity. They need to be rebuilt occasionally. Hence the reason I bought a brand new shortblock from Morries instead of building mine.

@jmyhre05 might be able to enlighten us on this topic...if he has a minute. He’s a pretty busy guy! :D

12. Pauline

Pauline New Member

yes, I have actually looked extensively into this. I have another car that’s on e85, and boy is it fun! if flex fuel was an option for that car I would’ve done it, I think flex fuel is really the only safe way to go.

I have an 06 unfortunately, so I would just need fuel lines and rails for the conversion (and the injectors, of course). It isn’t that much more complicated really at all, just adds an extra annoying expense.

Would you say running a 20g on e85 is “safer” than running it on pump?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    joebush44 likes this.
  13. joebush44

Absolutely. If you had a 5mt, my answer might be different, but your drivetrain will handle the power fine as long as your clutch is up to the task. Generally speaking, e85 would be safer fuel for any boosted application.

14. Burrz

Burrz Member

The point she’s asking I think is how the EJ257 in general can handle higher power, not the benefits of E85.

I have heard of people running 400whp without issues for a year or so (everyone wants to tell you how much power they’re making and how awesome it is while it runs, but they go missing when it blows up so you can’t confirm how long the engine lived) running boost around 20-22psi.

An FP Blue and a TD06 20G are the common turbos I hear/see people running, but I am also interested in more information.

Pauline likes this.
  15. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Cotts612 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  16. tangledupinblu

What are your power goals?

17. jmyhre05

jmyhre05 Well-Known Member

Generally we do not recommend people to run anything larger then the STI turbo on E85 on the stock internals. With that set up in basic form you can make around 370 whp on a dynojet (most tuners advertise those numbers so it's easier to understand. That is 330 mustang and 300 dyno dynamics). You can make more with more supporting mods too pretty easily.

With the 1050s you can max out a 20g on E85 and make around 450 whp (dyno jet) or so depending on brand, boost levels, and supporting mods.

We typically do not recommend anything larger the the sti turbo unless you are planning on building the engine. It can hold up for awhile and in some cases people have had some good luck while others have blown up stock engines.

I would not suggest going big hp on pump gas for sure since there are so many more risks with pump gas and detonation. If your going to do it just have it budgeted for a built motor. The rods are plenty strong for 500 whp, the issue is all the clearances and weak pistons.

The older engine are less prone to failure so I'd feel more comfortable doing it in a 06 then a 08+. Especially the 13-14 wrx's. We get way too many people coming in for engine builds with these and most of them have already had their engines warrantied prior as well. The factory clearances are way too tight all around among other issues (oil pumps, blocks twisting, the poor design that causes bearing number 3 to most commonly fail, etc...)

My suggestion is to max out a smaller turbo (sti turbo) and see how the motor handles it. If you want more then the same modifications for flex fuel on a STI turbo are the same for a 20g minus the aftermarket intercooler which is not needed for the sti turbo.

18. tangledupinblu

I was super happy at 300hp to the wheels. Ronnie always said that i could go further with the motor, but not the trans on my 2002.

So again i wonder, how many ponies are you looking to squeeze out of her?

19. jmyhre05

jmyhre05 Well-Known Member

Long answer short:

E85 on a STI turbo is basically the same stress as pump gas on a STI turbo. Anything over that and you run the risk of finding out if you have any weak spots in your motor. Tuning for peak power over peak torque will help some things, but will reduce your overall power band.

But a built motor gives a ton of insurance. Sti turbos on E85 can run just as long as stage 2. But anything larger and it's in that "it lasted awhile" risk range.

Built motors are less prone to wear then they used to if properly maintained. The metal technology has come along way. We have some over 100k at lower power levels. But at high hp levels even a built motor will wear out. You should see what happens to a IAG stage 4 extreme block at 900 whp after 1 year, subaru blocks are just weak.

Pauline and tangledupinblu like this.
  20. tangledupinblu

Good to know that the lower hp number “built blocks” can still have longevity.

21. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Civic SI is the answer

lololol

tangledupinblu likes this.
  22. joebush44

Eww

tangledupinblu likes this.
  23. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

What kind of torque numbers do you end up seeing with that kind of build? Asking because I'm too lazy to set up a dyno day.

24. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Can't hear you over vtec kicking in

joebush44 and tangledupinblu like this.
  25. tangledupinblu

Roflmao, nice!