Upgrades to Outback XT

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by StanmoXT, Sep 29, 2009.

1. StanmoXT

StanmoXT Well-Known Member

So today is the one year anniversary of my first Subaru purchase and I'd like to think about upgrading some parts. Was thinking of getting a better turbo (16g maybe) and wanted to see what else I'd have to change if I did upgrade to that turbo. Also which turbos are good ones and which to avoid.

2. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

I'm assuming the Outback XT are like the Legacy GT, plastic intake manifold?

3. yamie700

yamie700 Well-Known Member

If it is an 05+ Outback XT your turbo choices are very limited, unless you want to run a FMIC or swap your intake manifold to STi style.

I have an 05 LGT and I picked up a 18g that was machined into a vf40 compressor cover, not that many around like it though. Deadbolt used to make them but they're gone. A VF52 would be nice (just like a vf39/48) or AVO makes some nice turbos but they are very spendy (too spendy in my opinion).

Are you looking to stay with stock fuel system or upgrade?

4. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

have you had the car tuned yet....either by bullwinkle or cobb?

5. StanmoXT

Yes its an 05, as far as upgrading the fuel system, Im trying to price out what i need to do to get some more power outa the engine. So let me know what ever upgrades I'd need to do to run a larger turbo. I've been thinking of getting some megan racing coilovers for the suspension upgrade, but want to do some engine stuff to, and I'm not familiar with what it all takes to do those upgrades. Im not worried about spending the money to do it right the first time.

6. StanmoXT

have not yet, but thinking of doing that as well. I wanted to drive the car for a year and see how it handled and preformed (first turbo car, and first AWD car) before I started doing to much to it.

When i bought the Outback i was also looking at the LGT but figured i'd be getting stuck getting in and out of the cabin driveway with out the tall suspension that the outback has.

7. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

Start with a turbo back exhaust (downpipe + catback) and a "stage 2" tune from Bullwinkle.

8. StanmoXT

Thanks, I will look into that, what kinda of numbers would you imagine i'd be gaining from stock with such upgrades?

Any ideas what would be a good TBE for the outback? I've been having troubles finding them, seems to me that the LGT and Outback XT exhaust is different.

9. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

You should (assuming you've got a manual, anyway) see something around this to the wheels:

[​IMG]

(MY 07 WRX with a 2.5L)

10. yamie700

The wrx with 2.5 have the TD04 though, the Outback XT and LGT from 05-06 had vf40, which is kind of closer to a vf39 than td04.

When my LGT was bone stock it was 200whp on a dyno dynamics, stg2 it should have been around 250-260whp, never had it dyno'd. 18g I'm hoping for 300whp, I guess we'll see at the dyno day at RS what it is on a mustang dyno.

StanmoXT, if you're still stock I highly recommend going stage 2 (catless UP and pick a DP) and get an opensource tune, probably from Bullwinkle. If that is not enough power then look at bigger turbos. I was happy with stg2 for about 2 years, then I got tired of power falling on its face past 5000rpm.

For a bigger turbo you will need, injectors, fuel pump, and bigger TMIC or FMIC (you might need better TMIC even at stg2 as some people blow the endtanks off around 17psi.)

11. yamie700

Oh, and as for those Megan Outback coilovers, read reviews of them on legacygt.com. Most people said they were crappy quality, some even broke.

I have BC-BR coilovers on my LGT wagon and I like them a lot. Some Outback guys have used those with spacers to raise the ride height a little.

(BC-BR actually makes the Megan coilovers, but for whatever reason the BC seem to be a step up in quality over Megans)

12. 03subyR

03subyR Well-Known Member

I hope you get your 300whp :). How much boost are you running?

P.S. Stage 2 is the way to go with vf40. Can be done very cheap and good gain.

13. StanmoXT

Sweet! Thanks for all the helpful info and please keep it coming. Are there any other 05+ Outback XT owners on here that have done upgrades that I could consult with?

I guess my next question is, is it worth the money to put stiffer swaybars in?

14. yamie700

Bullwinkle tuned, I'm running 22.5psi max and holding 18psi to redline. I've been running airboy dynos but only getting around 260whp, not sure if I'm entering some data wrong though. The car definitely feels stronger than stg2 though, and I remind myself that is what matters more than dyno #s.

StanmoXT-as for swaybars, again I'm LGT wagon but I installed Perrin front and rear 22mm and it really helped with the handling. Those and the coilovers are my only susp. mods and I am very happy with the car.