Vf34 and ewg on a stock wrx

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by WWRX2002, Jan 14, 2017.

1. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

Hey everyone I'm looking to install a VF34 and want to run a EWG setup. I have the turbo but I want to know what else do I need to have this run correctly. Thanks

2. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

You'll need an ewe up pipe, vf series ewg bracket, and a boost controller, obviously you'll need the wastegate as well.

3. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

Will I need injectors? And would you by chance give me rough price range of items

4. Ryan FailRad

idk, I'm not a tuner so I'm kinda limited in connecting 1 mod to another..
    From the quick look I just made it was 450$.. pm me when you are serious and I can get you in contact with a sales person for a legit local company

5. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

What year WRX? Any details on the car so people can help guide you?
    Getting an EWG setup to run will cost you more than just $450.
    You need: Uppipe, Wastegate, Boost Controller, Intercooler, Downpipe (and turbo-back if you want to open the whole exhaust up), Injectors, Fuel Pump, and a tune.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

^assuming a 2002 based off the SN. Either way, i would guess closer to a grand for the EWG setup. Unless you find an amazing deal....or steal the parts. Lawlz

7. Ryan FailRad

Yeah, 450 is way low for some reason I was thinking it was 325 for the up pipe and wastegate, add another 325 for the wastegate. and you'll need a tune, so I think we can all agree you'll be over a grand before you can blink an eye.. unless you're resourceful like I was

8. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

Thanks guys for all the info. As for parts right now have a downpipe coming. Looking into fuel injectors. I'm looking to use the stock TMIC unless I get a steal of a price on a sti one. Uppipe and ewg is in the works. As for a fuel pump do I really need to get one or will the stock one be just fine?

9. tangledupinblu

You should definitely get a fuel pump. You can get a Walboro for around $80 new or a Deatschwerks for $140-ish new.

Check at Modern Automotive Performance or Import Image Racing.

10. blackozone

You will need a fuel pump, it's not optional.
    Well, OK: technically it's optional, but will become the bottleneck of your system performing. Not enough flow to the injectors will mean they need to be used in a limited capacity, which in turn means you'll be running low boost because of the lean AFR. So all your efforts and investment will be wasted. So no, it's not optional.
    Speaking of bottlenecks: your stock TMIC will limit your ability to run higher boost levels. STI top mounts are around $200 these days, it's a silly cheap investment.

11. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

If you're looking at getting a new fuel pump, I recommend going through Josh at Import Image Racing, he's a vendor through here and he is really quick. I ordered my pump on Monday and it will be coming in tomorrow. If you do go through him I need a $14 part. If you could bundle it in I would pay you back with a bit of incentive as well.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    TMF likes this.
  12. Ryan FailRad

From experience, gather as many parts as you possibly can, and then install and tune, it will save you a **** ton of money on tunes. Get the pump, get a good top mount, get a turbo back exhaust not just a down pipe.. do as much as you can at once to save yourself the headache of messing around getting it tuned all the time.
    I personally won't order any more new parts unless they come from Leo at MAP.. I've never had a better experience than with him, supereasy going and he knows his stuff.

13. blackozone

I'll second IIR as a vendor to buy from. I purchased a lot of engine parts from him recently and he brought the prices down by a significant amount. He's got a soft spot for us MNSubaru people.

TMF, joebush44 and minnesotanice like this.
  14. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

3rded. Josh @ iir is good peoples (his staff is solid as well). He's been hooking mnsubaru up for over a decade. Extremely customer service oriented. He was even able to source some parts for a car that isn't listed on the website. Beat everyone by over $200 on a $1300 order.

TMF and minnesotanice like this.
  15. blackozone

Josh's discounts seem to get deeper the more you're spending on a project. Since you're in for over a grand on this already, I'd definitely hit him up.

16. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

I don't even bother shopping around for parts anymore...I just hit up Josh at IIR via NASIOC PM. He's quick to respond and always has the lowest prices and fast shipping to boot!

17. minnesotanice

Even messaging him on here I got a response in 10 minutes.

joebush44 likes this.
  18. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

I ran this set up on both a 2.0 and 2.5 and loved it, tons of torque and power, it was great for street driving. Hit up Grimmspeed (they're local in Minneapolis) and they can set you up with a pipe/wastegate combo an ewg bracket and a boost solenoid. Don't cheap out on these parts, they get very hot and see a lot of stress.

Mike

19. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

Cool thanks for all the good info. Im really just thinking about keeping the stock exhaust with a upgraded downpipe I dont what it to loud.

20. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I think what they're saying is you're gonna need the extra flow, otherwise it won't be able to breathe and make the power you're shooting for. There are several aftermarket catbacks that are very quiet.

21. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Not to mention if you want to keep it quest EWG is not going to achive that unless you get some custom exhaust and have the EWG dump plumbed back into your exhaust rather then a short dump pipe like most people do.

22. minnesotanice

If you haven't looked up videos on EWGs, you probably should then... They're extremely loud when dumping.

23. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

Oo yea I saw a few videos already and I understand the ewg is going to be loud I just to want it to be any louder then that lol. Besides ewg will only open up when the boost is coming on to if I'm correct.

24. Krazylegz1485

True. And if you drive it like a true Subaru enthusiast, you will be boosting at all times.

minnesotanice and JasonoJordan like this.
  25. JasonoJordan

You will have a difficult time keeping it from opening unless you are very light on the throttle during your daily driving as the turbo you have is pretty small and builds boost fairly quickly.

26. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

+another for Import Image!

And you might be fine with your OEM catback...talk to your tuner. When I was running stage 2+ on my STI, my tuner indicated that I wasn't giving up that much power with the OEM catback.

Here's a video of my old car with an EWG:

Then I added a SuperTrapp motorcycle muffler (had it welded onto the end of the dump tube). It helped quiet it down a bit, but still pretty loud. Here is the best video that I could scrounge up with the supertrapp installed:
    https://goo.gl/photos/Qndti1HbaWwBnDLP8

Here's a link to the muffler: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUP-344-1705

There are other options for quieting it down too...some people weld on a much longer extension and much larger muffler. I wanted simple and lightweight though.

27. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Maddad whisper and Borla hush are fairly quiet exhausts. I have the Borla catback with stock downpipe on my car and it sounds great!

28. blackozone

I don't think you know what you're doing.
    An EWG is going to be loud, even when dumping back to the downpipe.
    A downpipe is going to make your exhaust louder (still legal, but louder).
    Based on your comments and questions so far, it seems like you're working with a limited budget for this. You're going to need to plan out what you want from the system and pick two of these three things: Cheap, Quiet, Power.

You can certainly build an EWG setup that is relatively quiet and makes good power, but you'd better be ready to spend a lot on parts and fabrication.
    There's a ton of information on this kind of build already, but before you start doing this you should sit down with your thoughts and develop goals instead of just throwing parts at your car. What made you want to do a VF34 EWG setup in the first place?

29. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

Dont get me wrong I like the noise but I'm keeping it to a minimum. I don't want a loud exhaust so I just want to keep the stock one and yea I'm doing a buget build atm

30. blackozone

What exactly are you looking for out of this? How did you come to decide on this turbo setup?

31. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

I got it form a cousin of mines. I'm look for a nice DD setup with good power.

32. blackozone

I'm assuming the IWG is welded on it and that's why you want to price out an EWG setup?

Sell it and get a VF39/43, downpipe, and fuel pump. It's a good start with a minimal investment. VF39s are plentiful and cheap. If you want to go super budget, you can mod your stock injectors to around 800cc flow, IIRC. That will save a lot as well. The fuel pump isn't a big deal, since the Walbro 255lph drops right in. Easy start, and is expandable by adding a cat-back, headers, uppipe, and intercooler setup in the future.

WWRX2002 likes this.
  33. Krazylegz1485

Just curious, how does a VF39 do on a 2.0?

I'm kinda in the same boat as this guy but already got a head start. I'm currently working on assembling the next level up power package for myself. Got an STi intercooler, headers, and am planning for fuel pump and probably modded stock injectors. Was planning to stick with the TD04 for now just for the sake of it's there, seems to be working fine, and it's free...

34. tangledupinblu

Stick with the td04 and crank up the juice! I was running 20 psi on mine for a few years before i upgraded to the VF48. I wish that i was still running a td04 on my hybrid build fwiw.

VF39 works great with the 2.0L.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  35. Krazylegz1485

You're always the voice of reason. Crank it up, f**ker!

36. blackozone

I ran a very similar setup to this and at 18psi the car put down 250whp on RS Motors' Mustang dyno. There's more lag than a TD04, but it gets a great turbo surge that had a pretty broad powerband. A VF39 on the 2.0 is incredibly streetable and has good usable power without choking itself to death like the TD04.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  37. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Dang dude! When would the td04 run out of breath pushing 20psi?

38. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

Thanks for the info. I will see what I got going here and finish this build up as soon as I can.

39. tangledupinblu

It's very hard on the turbo. 18psi would probably be safer. Either way, i ran it for about 3 years without issue.

The td04 feels fantastic cranked up to 18-20psi with the 2.5L. Alot of torque with really quick spool ftw!(it was my favorite setup of all of the setups that I've run over the past 14 years)

40. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

So next noobie question.. fuel injectors wise top feed and side feed which route and anyone know anyone selling good injectors. I'm going to go full buget build on this :)

41. JasonoJordan

Top feed. More options for injectors out there.

42. blackozone

There's a little confusion here: You don't have an option of top-feed or side-feed for what you're doing. Your car uses top-feed, you will use top-feed.

This is probably your most cost-effective option (which will also make E85 a fuel option for you): http://www.witchhunter.com/subarumod1.php

TMF likes this.
  43. WWRX2002

WWRX2002 New Member

I see Humm with mod injectors. I don't know if I will go that route with the modded injectors they seem like they aren't as reliable and is says in the description underneath each injector is that you get what you get form them. Has anyone have any experience with mod injectors and do they work well??

44. JasonoJordan

I used modded injectors for 2 years no problem. If you are concerned you can take them in and have them flow tested so you know exactly what you have.

45. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Your options are pretty limited for anything budget-friendly. Modded stock injectors will likely be the cheapest option. However, I had good luck with DW750's in my old hybrid WRX - around $400 for a matched set. They may be your next cheapest option.
    https://www.deatschwerks.com/produc...u/wrx/2002-12-wrx/750cc-fuel-injectors-detail

You may be able to find something used for a reasonable price if you shop around, but you might want to have them cleaned/flow tested before installing for piece of mind (usually around $25 per injector for the service).

I'd recommend consulting your tuner to see if they have a preference for injector brand/model.