VF39 Turbocharger

Discussion in 'Want To Buy : Cars/Parts' started by Takalak, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Takalak

Takalak Well-Known Member

My current 39 is on it’s way out. Looking to just do a straight vf39-vf39 swap. Afr’s are fine but boost pressure is sticky and sputtering about. Going to check boost leaks soon but I’m assuming the turbine’s got a wiggly spinner. Let me know if u got one on hand!

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

MidwestTurboConnection in Hudson does great work on rebuilding them and the turn around time is pretty quick! I had mine back in less than a week.

Takalak likes this.
  3. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

I ordered a new core for my ‘04 FXT from Midwest Turbo Connection and had it delivered the next day.

Takalak likes this.
  4. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Midwest has replacement CHRA's for $350, make sure to fully clean oil lines and banjo bolts for oil flow to the turbo if your reusing them. I have the large snapring pliers to swap the compressor housing if you need to borrow them (or bring your turbo over and I can help you swap it over)

Takalak and tangledupinblu like this.
  5. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

6. Takalak

Thanks for all the feedback fam.
    Going to chat with them tomorrow and see what’s the best route. Maybe I’ll stop over there. My family and I just got relocated to the Stillwater area. And I finally have a heated garage with a lift so winter won’t slow my constant repairs down. Once again thanks. It’s Great to have such punctual replies.

MrBlue likes this.
  7. tangledupinblu

That’s one of the reasons that I mentioned them, super close for you! Also, because they are a solid company that does solid work.

I had an issue with my vf48 after they rebuilt it. The gasket to the oil return line wasn’t sealing properly. Took it back to them and they noticed that the flange wasn’t completely true. So they smoothed it out and gave me a new gasket, free of charge. You won’t be disappointed!

Takalak likes this.
  8. Takalak

Well... I didn’t get to make it that far. Found 8 bad Boost leaks, like a champ. Then blew a cam seal like an idiot. Going to be calling Subaru for the seals. Anyone have a company 23 cam sprocket wrench I could borrow?

9. Takalak

Ok. I may have spoke too soon. Going to do a more in-depth inspection. I assumed it was a cam seal because of the shotty boost leak procedure I executed and finding a half quart of oil on the ground the morning after. Perhaps it came out the dipstick? Anyone screw up like this before? Thanks for letting me jabber on.

10. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I've got a cam sprocket tool available for borrowing whenever. However, I'm north of the metro a little so logistics might not be great. Either way, there's that.

And how much pressure did you test with? Seems a little excessive to have that many leaks and blow some oil out at the same time, right?

Takalak likes this.
  11. Takalak

Yeah. Seems like I just overreacted when I woke up to half a quart on the concrete. I just got to doing a real inspection and pulled the timing cover. Dry as a bone. Seals are in place and just as dry. Hmm, must have just seeped from the dip stick.
    I was in a hurry and just attached a valve stem to a 3” capped tube and randomly shot pressure in using a air chuck. Disregarding the tank pressure of 100 psi and thinking that if pressure built up it would show on the chuck’s gauge. I initially hit the air twice and heard a big leak at the turbo. Almost simultaneously I found myself reaching to loosen the oil cap and dip stick. Shot the air in two more short spurts and heard no leaks, only from the oil cap. So I closed it again and chased it down as well as 8 or so more leaks. And in the process of that forgetting to re loosen the oil cap. Saw no more leaks, I smiled, then hit the air one more time and.... up like a volcano came the somewhat fresh rotella out the dip stick tube. Not like a real volcano eruption. More like the vinegar and baking soda volcanos you made as a kid.
    With all that said. I’m going to keep inspecting, but seems like I just need to level off the oil and I’ll be good to go. Well after I clean off the excess and let the rest burn off. Maybe I’ll take her out tonight and check out the turbo shop in Hudson. I’ll let you guys know if anything else arises that I missed cuz I’m careless. Thanks for all your help my fellow Subarubians. That’s right.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  12. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

13. Takalak

Lol. I’ve seen that video too.
    Test drive was successful. Much smoother and hits 17 psi no problem. Then hesitates to 19. So she still stutters but much less. Going to pull the intercooler and check for cracks. The hunt continues.

14. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Check your plugs... winter blend fuel sent mine into stumbling at higher boost, new set in and back to 20psi

15. Takalak

Nice that’s what I am hoping for next. Pulled the MAF this weekend and couldn’t find my notes on proper resistances. So I just cleaned it and put her back in. Does anyone happen to know what those resistances are? Plugs were my next thought. Same kinda deal with the fuel filter. Haven’t changed them since my tune a few years ago. Lol. Once that’s taken care of I’m also hoping my coil packs are still good. I haven’t seen any check engine lights so I assume a misfire code has not been tripped. But that’s kinda hard to believe with how poorly it operates past 10 psi. Thanks again y’all

16. Takalak

New plugs had a dramatic result in performance. Much better but I still studder in high boost requests. New maf time?

17. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Your welcome to swap the maf from one of mine to see if that's the culprit.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  18. tangledupinblu

You are basically neighbors.