Vinyl wrap or paint trunk/wing?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by DanWRX14, Mar 1, 2015.

1. DanWRX14

DanWRX14 Member

I have an extra STI trunk/wing that I need to get color matched to my SWP WRX, and current paint estimates are $400-$500, so just curious if any has gone the vinyl wrap route and how much it was and where did you get it done? I am just doing the trunk lid/wing, not the whole car.
    It feels like I have a lot more options with vinyl wrapping it at (about) half the price, plus I could do more than 1 color with the vinyl wrap and make it look pretty unique.

Thanks,
    Dan
    2014 WRX

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

You could consider plasti-dipping it white? I believe that that would be a cost efficient alternative for you.

Wrapping should work just fine if that's the route that you take.

xodad2 likes this.
  3. DanWRX14

DanWRX14 Member

Oh god no - plasti-dip sucks. I would never use that crap. Plus it's not white, it's SWP, which is a pearl, so it's an expensive paint match if I can't find a SWP vinyl. Next...

4. tangledupinblu

I knew it wouldn't match. But i have seen alot of vinyl and figured that you would be "just getting close" with that. Unless someone figured out how to get a paint code for it into the vinyl machine. I know what SWP stands fur breh. ;)

My first suggestion would be to not half ass it, especially on a brand new vehicle, and drop the $4-500 to do it right at a body shop. "Next."

masube81 and Ryan FailRad like this.
  5. DanWRX14

DanWRX14 Member

Ha ha, true dat :) Yeah, definitely don't want to half ass it, and don't really want it to look like a "rice/race" car driving to work everyday, so I think you're right and should just get it done at a body shop...sucks that it's so expensive, but I (mostly) blame that on the damn pearl :) If it was just a base color I've heard under $300 to do it. I have seen SWP vinyl on the interwebs, but at the end of the day I guess it should just be painted the right color...dang.

tangledupinblu and masube81 like this.
  6. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

Outdoor vinyl will only last for 5-7 years.

7. DanWRX14

DanWRX14 Member

Good to know...another vote for paint then.

8. Sjogun

Sjogun Active Member

Why don't you just remove the wing and get it painted, drill the appropriate holes in your existing trunk. That should bring you down in cost quite a bit.

9. ericthegoalieman

ericthegoalieman Well-Known Member

If you decide to go the vinyl, I have big roll of pearl white vinyl that I had intended to wrap an enitre car with, but plans changed. You could see if it's a close match if you want

10. DanWRX14

DanWRX14 Member

Yikes, that doesn't sound fun. Then I would have holes in my trunk lid where my WRX wing used to be.

11. tangledupinblu

You shouldn't. The old wrx wing and STi spoiler shared the same holes and I would assume that they still do! He's got a good point, and that would bring down the cost...especially if you could sell the other trunk and recoup some funds from it!

12. tangledupinblu

Hmmmmmm...

ericthegoalieman likes this.
  13. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I'd just buy a new car without a wing or spoiler.

14. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I'd vote paint as well, and I drive an '03. Just make sure you have your car there at the same time so they can have something to match the paint up to. It's gonna be hard enough as is trying to get that pearl to look perfect without blending into the quarters and bumper.

masube81 likes this.
  15. DanWRX14

DanWRX14 Member

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I could vinyl wrap it by myself anyway - I suck at that kind of stuff.
    I think I'm just gonna have someone paint it so it's done the right way and so I have 2 complete lids/wings so it's easy to swap and easy to sell in the future.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  16. tangledupinblu

^You're a smart man Dan!

DanWRX14 likes this.
  17. DanWRX14

DanWRX14 Member

Ha ha! That doesn't happen very often, and when it does my wife usually takes the credit :)

tangledupinblu likes this.