VOTE HERE if you want to talk about politics in off topic

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Front Office' started by esperunit, Feb 9, 2008.

?

Talk Politics?

Poll closed Mar 10, 2008.
  1. I think its a good idea

38 vote(s)
    64.4%
  2. I don't think its a good idea

21 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

I am submitting a poll to gauge people's interest in having political discussions in off topic.

This can be a very slippery slope because often it can degenerate into less than civil behavior and member conflict, but if people want to do it, I don't see why it shouldn't be decided by the users.

2. Mike Wagner

Mike Wagner New Member

Look, I am not one that relishes more worthless posts that end in feelings being hurt. I will say that I am more worried when organisations begin dictating the subject matter that is acceptable.

In cases of political discussions gone bad it always comes down to people getting personal. You need to deal strongly with personal attacks vs differences of opinion. After all this country is all about different opinions and our ability to express those opinions.

Rules regarding offensive langauge and personal attacks is very reasonable.

Just my 2c

Mike

3. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

I think that this would be an ideal topic to go in a new "on topic" forum. which would be dedicated to non subaru discussion, but will be taken seriously.

4. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

bravo, sir! :biggrin:

5. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I haven't ever seen political discussions go well on online forums. some better than others.....but never well. problem is that in an online situation, it's hard to agree to disagree....and it ends up turning into this big fight trying to convince other people to agree. and that just isn't possible.

so, IMO......no

6. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

+1 :)

7. wrxpeed

wrxpeed CobraPeed

I say yes. As long as people can be tolerant and understanding of other peoples' views while at the same time presenting an inteligent stance from their side.
    Nothing worse than an intolerant and uninteligent poster diluting the thread with crap posts that convolutes the main topic and creates off topic arguments.

8. 9blackmax6

9blackmax6 Well-Known Member

:+1: but at the same time people get pretty heated over politics. thats why i personally dont like to touch that subject very often. but im all for making new links or on topic threads anything to broaden mnsubaru a little more.

9. Measapon

Measapon New Member

I'd say if it even starts to look out of hand, lock it

10. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

do it. if people are gonna be idiots then close it.

11. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf Well-Known Member

I agree with chux, by the same token... if it does go through, separate sub forum (inside off-topic or this on-topic forum), and lock anything that gets out of hand asap. Also, maybe put a post count requirement (similar to nabisco... not everyone's fav place around here, I know) to keep the new folks from seeing the really ugly stuff. Somethin small (50? 25?).

12. SubeN'Siren

SubeN'Siren Well-Known Member

I don't see why not, sometimes it's fun to talk about things that don't pertain to the reason why we are all here. If we can't talk politics, perhaps the whole off-topic forum should be dropped.

13. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

You forgot an option "I don't care either way"

I don't know enough to give an input, but it would be a good way for me to read several sides and points of view of it.

I don't mind if it is allowed or not!!

14. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

I embrace conflict. Do this.

Nobody has ever been hurt by a forum beat down...egos don't count.

15. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

Were there rules dicscouraging political discussions in ot previous to this? Couldn't someone start a thread about most anything(outside of the obviously banned stuff)and discuss just about anything in it? That being said a good political discussion never bothered me at all...

16. bikerwriter

bikerwriter Well-Known Member

Maybe we can just have a Political tag that mods or authors can apply to the thread when it gets contentious.

I don't think a thread that becomes political is that bad because if you write something and get flamed you can choose NOT to reply to it and let it die. Or you can stop reading the thread.

But people should not let that thread spill into another thread, or PM crap outside the thread.

17. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

THESE!!

it is america afterall.. freedom of speech and all that!!!

I say under off topic, seperate tab (or whatever you call it) so it will have its own area

18. Hallywood

Hallywood Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with Mike W.

Why shouldn't we be able to express our own personal opinions?

It's just another topic, just like when someone asks what kind of suspension setup they should run, there are many different opinions between many different members.

The members who get all worked up over the whole political topics are more than welcome to stay out of them if they can't take someone else's opinion like an adult. Personal bashings should be dealt with accordingly, but like Mike said above, there is a big difference between personal opinions and personal attacks.

You could create a sub-forum for this particular topic. If people are offended by it, then they can stay out of that particular area.

19. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

I will see if we can whip up a test forum for the "on-topic" idea.