Want to reset TPMS

Discussion in 'FS: Everything else' started by Herb Miller, Nov 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Herb Miller

Herb Miller Active Member

I just put my winters on my 08 STI and the TPMS light came on (no surprise). I usually take it to Discount Tires (where I bought the wheels and tires) to have it reset, but their reset tool, with the current software installed, will not reset Subarus . I'm looking for a free option or a tool to buy so I don't have to deal with this again. Any thougthts?

I see that Amazon has an Autel MaxiTPMS TS501 TPMS Service Tire Pressure tool Car Diagnostic Tool for a reasonable price. Anyone had experience with this one?

Thanks.

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Completely related but unrelated. My 2015 BRZ will occasionally throw the TPMS light with the winters on, and sometimes it doesn’t?? WTF. FWIW, my winters are on OEM RS 6 spokes with NO TPMS sensors at all.:unsure:

I’m also wondering if this scan tool is any good as i’d like to potentially get rid of lights on the dash as well.

3. Herb Miller

Thanks for the response. After I posted I thought about another other. I know that Costco does tires too. I will ask them if they can reset when I go there next time. Even if they say they do it free, I will still probably buy it because it would be far more convenient not to have to go somewhere to have it set.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

Id double check with Discount Tire. They should have some way to support a product they sold you.
    I'd guess they're working on a solution

5. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Take it to Apple Valley discount tire. Maplewood has come up with three different reasons they can't do mine. My personal favorite being that my OBDII port is dead, even though I'm actively monitoring it. They don't have the right tools there.

6. Herb Miller

Thanks for your reply. Apple Valley is a ways to go to get thie done/fixed, so I have reached out to Discount Tire corporate and asked why they cannot do what their website says at all of their stores. I also asked what they are going to do to resolve this issue. I will post what they say.

7. MN_XV_712

MN_XV_712 Well-Known Member

If you end up not finding a tool and are close to Roseville, take it to Norm's Tire and see what they say.

8. Herb Miller

Made some inquiries today and found that Mtka Discount Tires could do the reset. I went down and sure enough, they cleared it. I went back to Plymouth and let them know so they could sen others for immediate service, as well as contacting them and finding out how to correct the problem they are having. I have not heard from corporate.

Thanks to all who responded.

I continue to be curious about the Autel. If you have any insight, please let me know.

jubella2 and tangledupinblu like this.
  9. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

Mine takes about 20 miles of continuous driving for the light to come on. I only have tpms on the stock wheels for winter but I keep them stacked in the garage all summer. If I drive more than 20 miles away the light comes on but when I park back in the garage the light goes off. Most days I never drive more than 20 miles so usually I can make it all summer with only seeing the light 2 or 3 times.

10. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

With a tpms system like that I'd just pull the stock sensors out next time the tires are due to be changed and stick them in the glovebox!

Re: the Autel tool, iirc the 08 STi has the tpms version that can only store 4 sensor codes in the tpms module (under the driver's seat?). IIRC those early GR STI's needed the TPMS reset tool as well as the Subaru Select Monitor system to reset the module and reflash/pair a different set of codes. I THINK you need something more like the ATEQ VT55 OBDII (https://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-VT55-Activation-Programmer-ToolBlow/dp/B00KVLPTZO) or similar. An easier workaround might be to clone the existing sensor codes onto the second set of tpms sensors in an additional sets of wheels.

11. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Wait, this works? If i would have known that I would have never installed them. They are nice for people that don’t have enough motivation to check their tire pressures. But I despise them. Especially in my work van. Check pressures and they are perfect, i pull out into the cold, within 10 minutes they are going off. Lame

12. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Solution would be to over-inflate the tires in the warm shop by 5 or 6 pounds.

13. idget

Stuff all 4 sensors in the spare lol

14. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

I just went to Discount and they did mine about an hour ago.

I have also used Costco, but they'll give you a hard time if you didn't buy tires from them, which I suppose makes sense.

15. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Discount Tire in EP has been solid for me for the last 6 years. Never once heard any mention of not supporting Subaru TPMS anymore.

16. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

Discount tire is usually good for me, though they have a tendency to forget to reset the system. It really pisses the wife off when they forget to reset hers (mostly because she still unhappy about the cost of the 2nd set of sensors for the snow tires, but rightfully so that if we paid for it to work it should damn well work)

Last winter they forgot to reset hers even though I noted it in the apt, I noted it at check in, and I asked at pick up

This year I didn’t say a thing and they did it on their own.

17. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

All of my interactions (none with TPMS) with Discount Tire in Eden Prairie have been positive...good, stand-up store. However, my go-to tire shop is Samaritan in Minnetonka. I'll walk before I set foot in a Tires Plus again. Phucking hacks.

18. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

I did have that forget to reset issue with them for the first couple of winters then it seems the got a new manager and started seeing some new staff and didn't happen again. The only thing that burns my boihole going in now is I have an appointment but have to burn a good 20 minutes standing in their "line" to check in. They usually have two people checking customers in but goddamn if the phone isn't ringing off the hook with people that never heard of the f**king internet to research tires for their car so one person is tied up with the luddites calling in. /rantover

pillboy likes this.
  19. loxx0050

loxx0050 Well-Known Member

Wondering if this tool would work?

ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool
    by Import Auto Performance
    Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008SCWXN4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U__wZx9Bb6KSJ01A

I have this saved in my cart for a number of years and this is the cheapest I've seen it drop to (currently when as of this posting it is $99.99).

I just live with the TPMS light every winter swapping to my winter setup but this is tempting if it does work.....well for me anyways since I have an '14 MY.

20. idget

Top user comment is from a 2015 wrx owner... also, thanks for posting this. It's been buried in my wish list too!

21. loxx0050

loxx0050 Well-Known Member

You know, now that I relook at the review, the next one after the WRX owner is one who used with with a 2017 Forrester and Crosstrek. Interesting indeed as I might be picking this up someday (probably not soon because I've got to buy a new router because my current one is getting flaky).