Wanted : Moderator

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Front Office' started by WRX1, May 25, 2010.

1. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

MNSubaru is currently looking for a new moderator (or 2). We are currently looking for someone that wants to really help MNS get up and running they way it used to be. More forum activity (welcoming new members, keeping threads on topic), more online contests (COTM, Pic of the month) and sometimes slapping around the stupid.

If you think you have what it takes, shoot me a PM and we can go from there. If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them and I will answer them as best as I can.

Russ

2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Well-Known Member

WRX1 you have a pm from me!

3. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Moderators are required to pass my spelling test. Russ gets a free pass because he's an admin. ;)

4. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Hahaha, is there a requirement on how many posts and how long a person is logged in per day?

5. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I support this message.

6. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Well you see, we get people who say "oh I'll do it, I have time" and then either don't realize, or whatever, that life - real life - is more important than the website.
    This job works well for people like me, who are not working right now, and need something to do in the downtime - which is, all the time. You will be required to be on at LEAST once a day. And it also entails meetings - they aren't regular or anything, but we do have them. You will be required to show up for those, so we can plan things like events and have everyone on the same page.

So it's a bit more than just "slapping stupid people around" with infractions and bans. We haven't even had to hand one of those out in a long time, but we are busy with actually worrying about the future of the site, too.

So if you can be online and at least help plan events and stuff so that I don't have to do it all, then go ahead and send Russ a PM. If you think that at some point real life will intervene and you'll have to quit, then don't volunteer for it.

There is no requirement for posts, or for length of time here. All that is required is what is mentioned above, and we ask that you please don't use the power as a personal vendetta against users you don't like here.

Oh, and it helps to have a level head too, but don't be TOO passive. You have to be good at judging what to just let slide, and when to confront folks, and talk to the rest of the mod team when they ask a question... because honestly, the last thing we need is a person who doesn't speak up even when they are being asked to.

7. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

i have plenty of time to do it but i kant spellz :p

8. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

She's not kidding. If you apply to be a Moderator here, and you have a history of poor spelling and grammar, you will NOT be considered for the job. And that isn't being mean, if you can't convey a message to a person in plain English, you can't be a Moderator.

9. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Well-Known Member

well count me out then, my spelling is hit or miss...

10. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

And we are looking for someone that wants to have some fun, and bring that fun online. And for this person, I am not so much worried about slapping around the stupid, it is more about breathing some fresh life into what is going on around here. Creating contests, mini meets, mini cruises, new merch ideas, and stuff like that.

As for time online, there really is no set hours. As it is, a couple of us are online most of the day and things have been kinda slow on the stupid front. It is really more about making a presence online. If we have a few idea threads in the mod forum, then answer them as best as you can, welcome the new people to the forum, and if need be, slap around the stupid. Nothing real tough, but you really won't be able to just hang out with a new title under your name.

Russ

11. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Asking the public for mods, seems like a new approach.

12. burtonboy00

burtonboy00 Well-Known Member

I would send in my vote but I'm off to Montana in three months, and this doesn't sound like a summer job kind of thing.

13. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

That was a joke, really. As long as you can sound professional when needed then you are good to go. But that isn't a free pass to everyone who just bangs their head on the keyboard and hopes it forms a sentence ;)

14. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Just a heads up to everyone that has sent me a PM. I will try and start responding to them tonight.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Russ

15. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

I'd volunteer to help but........ I tend to Upset people

16. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Meh. ?

17. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

You should... Cause yoi love this place and stuff

18. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I am going to leave the search open though the weekend. I want to give everyone a equal opportunity to show me why you want to be a mod.

Russ

19. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

What's the pay? Okay, I make bad joke!

But seriously those who can't spell feel free to use the IE or other resources available to you. Here's a question: do you have to help moderate the whole site or specific sections only? Cause it could get very demanding and some are more experts in other topics.

And I'd like a Mod who's got a sense of humor, at least that if it's not to much to ask. -Thank you

20. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

The whole site. But we are looking more for someone that wants community activitiy. The job of cleaning up the stupid on here isn't all that demanding at this point. Our new moderator selectees should be more concerned with getting the user base active and participating, setting up events and keeping people interested.

21. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Thanks to all for the applications. We will be going over them the next day or 2 to make our selections.

Russ

22. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

That's all well and good, but it's not like nobody's offered to some of these vendors. There are a couple who are interested in things like that, but for the most part, nobody responds to anything.