Watch out for this guy!! scammer, Steve Shindley

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BroCo, Feb 14, 2011.

1. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

A while back I posted looking for help finding an all-wheel drive car for a co-worker/friend from Austria. Long story short I ended up finding him a really clean Audi A4 Quattro at a small car dealer. So we go look at the car everything checks out, car looks good, drives good. I throw a low ball cash offer at the guy and he accepts it, write up the paper work and we are on our way. That was in November, my friend goes back to Austria for a few months, drives his car into work when he gets back and I notice that his tabs are expired as of Jan. I asked him if he had received the title for the car yet and he answers, ”Nein” he speaks German. I call the DMV and give them the VIN and they say that no paper work has been filed to transfer the title. I call the dealer looking for the sales guy and they give me his cell number. I Call the sales guy and he says that doesn’t work there anymore. I call the dealer-ship and ask for the owner, in talking with the owner it appears that this salesman, Steve Shindly, had screwed him out of $85,000.00. This guy was selling cars for cash under the table. So far it appears that the dealership is working with me on getting the title transferred, but I’m still not convinced that this is not part of the scam!. Nice impression this has made on the Austrian! Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Sorry for the long post!

Mountain likes this.
  2. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

Post the dude's name and cell # so no-one else gets hooked...

SCIFIDELITY likes this.
  3. BroCo

It's Steve Shindly or Shinly 218-220-9633 I won't name the dealership unless they end up screwing him over.

4. Bookem

Bookem Well-Known Member

Cell is from Silver Bay, I doubt he'd be hanging around there if he scrapped that much cash from a business. Too bad, I used to know some peeps from Beaver Bay that liked to look for scummy scammers.

5. goodbye

goodbye New Member

I know exactly who the dealership is, and trust me, it's not their fault, they're straight up guys. Steve is the only one at fault here, and your friend is definitely not the first. Sorry I don't have any contact info for him, he was doing deals under the table at that dealership that I did some financing for until the company I was working for went out of business. I'm sure they'll get your friend taken care of since it's their name on the line.

6. goodbye

goodbye New Member

BTW, it's Shindley.

7. BroCo

^^^^^I appreciate the info, this is what I was hoping to hear. Like I said the dealer is working with me and so far seems to be a straight up guy. Thanks man!

8. Matt Costello

Matt Costello Member

Wish we would have seen this BEFORE buying an '04 allroad for $5,200 from him last week. Jeez! Engine light came on on way back from purchase, AC stopped working, and then height stabilization went soon thereafter. Upon mechanic diagnostic: $3,000 catalytic converter, $1,200 AC compressor and who knows what height stabilizer cost I called Stephen, "hey, your Craig's list ad said 'exceptional condition', Steven, we'd like to just bring this back and unwind this purchase." Stephen: "Tough s***, dude, you own it." Me: "You can't be serious. This isn't right." Unsure of what else was said beside his something like: "See you in court." CLICK!!!
    I have his new address ( he's moved to the middle of nowhere) and cell. I'm out of work and filed bankruptcy. My son actually worked his a** off to make $5K, so we're giving him my wife's 175,000 mile Tahoe and wife takes Audi. Per googling him, this is a BAD BAD guy. Can anyone offer advise assistance here? Totally dejected over this....How can people act this way?

9. derp

derp Well-Known Member

someone should just break his ****ing kneecaps

kongzilla, Cotts612, tehfuzz and 2 others like this.
  10. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Gallon of gas and a road flare.

11. BroCo

He's a piece of work! Sorry you fell into his trap

12. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Proud Usher at Chet and Emily's Wedding. Staff Member

Stick to the proper recipe and make it five gallons.

Sounds like this bastard has earned every one of them.

tooch pac, tehfuzz and xodad2 like this.
  13. Matt Costello

Matt Costello Member

Oh yea. He's allegedly now selling Arabian horses!

EricS likes this.
  14. pillboy

This country needs more third-world justice. Incarceration is too good for a lot of these slime balls.

blak04wrx, Nhibbs and xodad2 like this.
  15. Matt Costello

Matt Costello Member

Mind sharing who the dealership is? I'm putting a case together to go after him.
    Thanks

Cotts612 and tehfuzz like this.
  16. BroCo

He had left that dealership before I had resolved the issue. That has been quite some time ago. Not sure it is relevant to your case. I wish you good luck and hope justice catches up with him.

17. pillboy

I'd rather see an angry mob catch up to him before justice does.

tooch pac and xodad2 like this.
  18. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

I second derp's idea.

derp and xodad2 like this.
  19. EricS

EricS Nooberator Staff Member

Oh jeez, that's prime scumbag territory.

20. Scoobyvroom

Scoobyvroom Well-Known Member

Hope he is not related to Rich Shindley. He was a stand up guy in the DSM community.

21. Todd Parent

Todd Parent New Member

UPDATE ON STEPHEN D. SHINDLEY! As of June 6, 2014 he was working for a used car dealer in Mora, MN. The name of the dealer has a number in it and the word "star". This character is also wanted in Wisconsin on dead beat Dad charges for not paying child support. He scammed me on a used car sale in January 2014. Matt Costello if you would like to join my suit I have in process against this person you are welcome to join me. He is not selling Arabian horses! At least none of mine. Interesting that was probably the next thing he was going to sell of mine. His famous scam is to offer to sell something for you and when he sells it he collects from the buyer and then makes up bogus paperwork showing and paying the seller a lower number. This is a very dangerous person. Yes Rich Shindley mentioned in this thread is Stephen's father. However Rich Shindley is an upright honest man! Stephen is estranged from both of his parents.

tehfuzz and idget like this.
  22. Rick Shindley

Rick Shindley New Member

Matt,

I am Steve's dad, Rick Shindley. I worked on that car for Steve (he promised to pay me for the 5 days of work I did but I got nothing for my work.) He bought the car from a doctor in Ely, MN for $1200, I believe. He brought it to me because the PS rack was leaking. The doc replaced it himself and put an oil pan plug seal where a copper high pressure seal should go, so it leaked out. The doc sold the car cheap. Took me two days to find/fix the problem. Then Steve dropped off a water pump and timing belt kit for it. That took another two days to install and then a day to bang out some dents at the front of the fenders and plastic weld some things up front. The CEL lit up once due to an emissions issue but I cleared it and it did not recurr the short time I had the car running. The ride leveling was an issue as the car sagged when sitting overnight. Steve was in a hurry to sell the car and refused to have those issues repaired.

Steve was moving in a hurry to avoid another leagal issue, I subesquently learned, so he unloaded the All Road for quick money. He CAN sell cars but Ihave to say that we don't trust him! He has burned us to the tune of 25k in the past 18 months. We helped him buy some cars to sell. He sold them, all right, but didn't repay us. He kept everything! Now he says he "can't trust us" (his parents) and refuses to have anything to do with us. We are ashamed of him.

23. Matt Costello

Matt Costello Member

Todd, I just now saw this. I would like to discuss further. Could you perhaps give me a call? My mobile number is: 952/334-0624. Thanks, Matt Costello

24. Matt Costello

Matt Costello Member

Rick, I am terribly sorry. Bout all I can say....

25. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Would never have seen this if it wasn't resurrected today. Small frickin' world. I went to high school in Mora. 5 Star auto was owned/managed by an ex crooked ass cop, or so I was told by the majority of the people in Mora. They had a repair shop in the same building called Lenny's, if I remember right. Top notch dudes there, actually.

Anywho, glad I never purchased the few cars I test drove there. What a crazy situation.

tehfuzz likes this.
  26. Matt Costello

Matt Costello Member

Hey Todd-Please call me! Thanks

Mountain likes this.
  27. Matt Costello

Matt Costello Member

Please call me. Matt 952-334-0624 Thanks

28. Matt Costello

Matt Costello Member

What creepy sad irony! I just noticed my initial Steve Shindley Audi encounter post was exactly two years ago. And today, after $5,200.00 purchase plus another $5K (no joke) in repairs, the Audi takes a bullet--as it should have $5K ago--I get $500.00 for scrap and a huge life lesson. Outside of vigilance, listening to ones BS detector not much else you can do. Thanks everyone for your sentiments and replies. Am guessing like me, you'd rather that bullet go elsewhere! What a guy.....

BroCo likes this.
  29. BroCo

My heart sank when I saw this thread pop up again, thinking that someone else was victimized.

I wonder if the law ever caught up with him on any of this stuff?

30. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

Looks like he isn't paying his child support. :(

31. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Or income taxes.

32. Rosie

Rosie New Member

He’s at it again
    I sent you a DM...

33. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!