What do judges REALLY look for at car shows?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by tjamz, Aug 26, 2009.

1. tjamz

tjamz Well-Known Member

I get asked this question A LOT by competitors so I thought I would share my thoughts/views on it with you all:

(Mods/Admin, this may be in the wrong spot, feel free to move it)

As a general rule of thumb (speaking broadly about a variety of different shows I've judged, including past DTP/Driven, Perfect 10's, etc..), there are 7 main areas to concentrate on (and a number of little things within each category...I'll try and list the bulk of them):

Exterior:
    1. Paint condition (Easiest way to ruin a show car is with crappy paint)
    • Maximize points by using a claybar and/or professional buff job.
    • Polish makes your car shiny, Wax protects your paint. Use both to really make your car “popâ€
    • Using vinyl to cover a scratch usually doesn’t work, try using some touch up paint in very thin coats. Wet sand smooth and then polish/wax
    2. Factory Paint vs. Custom Paint (You don't NEED custom paint, but a good custom job in good condition will score better than factory 9/10 times)
    • If you decide to opt for custom paint, don’t cheap out on it. We can tell a good from a bad paint job, even in low light.
    • To do well for multiple years don’t get caught up in the current trends. Stick with tried & true paint schemes and avoid things like tribal graphics, barbed wire, chameleon paint, etc… What is cool this year (or several years ago as pointed out above) probably won’t be cool next year.)
    3. Graphics (can help or hurt you depending on how well they are pulled off)
    • Again if you do graphics (painted on or vinyl) realize that fads will change. Try and stick with the tried & true.
    4. Body Kit/Aero Kit (Not all are created the same, better kits score better points)
    • If you invest the money into a kit, invest the money into making it fit properly. Nearly none of them will just “bolt on†and fit perfectly.
    • Fiberglass kits are easier to fit (as they can be modified easier) but are more fragile than their urethane counterparts. Fiberglass is also (usually) lighter than urethane.
    5. Custom Modifications (1 off stuff done tastefully)
    • Things like body-molded bumpers/sideskirts score points
    • Hand built body kits/widebodies tend to score extremely well
    • One of a kind/rare parts get extra points.

Interior:
    1. Again custom is king and rarity of components scores points
    • Custom CF/Fiberglass dashes can be great points when done properly. Crappy fitment will offset any coolness of the project however.
    • Making the components flow together with your oem parts grabs my attention.
    2. Seats & Pedals are easy points, as is a harness bar. Re-covered interior parts get special attention as well.
    • Suede seems to be the material of choice as of late as it takes a beating and never really goes out of style.
    • Higher end seats get higher points (In other words Bride>APC)
    3. Spray painting your dash probably won't help you.
    • It will probably hurt your score. I can’t think of one successful show car that had an obviously painted dash. Sure there are some that make custom trim pieces, but they make them match the interior, not jump out from it.
    4. Everything inside the car should flow, including your gauge clusters...nothing should look out of place
    • I cannot stress this enough. This goes for every aspect of your car. Find a theme and then run with it. Adding parts just for the sake of having them won’t win shows.
    Suspension & Wheels:
    1. Good quality components outscore lower quality ones, however, sometimes a person with a full set of Megan Racing suspension components (Sway bars, strut bars, coilovers, braces, etc...) will outscore the guy with just a set of Tein Basics. Also being damage free helps.
    • All other things equal, higher end components outscore their lower end counterparts…but sometimes you can use a combination of both to maximize your points. A “low end†strut bar is better than no strut bar….pair that with a highend suspension and you can maximize points.
    2. Wheel gap is ugly, but sometimes too much negative camber can make the car look goofy as well...so balance is key there.
    • Not much to add there, pretty self explanatory
    3. CLEANLINESS. For the love of God, clean your wheels and wheel wells. We check for stuff like that.
    • I also check undercarriage, exhaust tips, under the rear bumper lip, etc… Judges are anal, you should be too.
    4. Bring pictures of the stuff installed or bring a mirror to help me see it. Preferably both.
    • We’d love to take your word on things being installed, but unfortunately it doesn’t work that way.
    ICE:
    1. Integration is key. A well designed system that looks like it belongs will usually get a higher score from me than the "bling bling look at me" setup.
    • This doesn’t mean you should run an old school carpeted MDF box, it just means make it look like it came that way from the factory. Find matching vinyl/suede/carpet and use it to finish your setup. Better yet, replace the OEM cargo liner with some aftermarket material.
    2. Good fitment is also desired. The system should be designed in such a manner that it looks like it is molded to the car OR is designed to snap into place.
    • Can’t emphasis this enough. It holds true on EVERY aspect of your modifications.
    3. Better components score higher points. In other words, Diamond/JL/Zapco/MTX > Jensen/Audiobahn/Dual/Pyle
    • Even “entry level†components from JL Audio/Zapco/MTX/Diamond/etc… are better than “high end†components from Audiobahn/Jensen/Dual/Pyle.
    Engine & Performance:
    1. Modifications get you points. Ghetto installs lose you points. Dirt costs you points.
    • Pretty self explanatory
    2. To score points you NEED to change things. IMHO an Impreza w/ a VF34 (STi) turbo system will score more points than an STi with just a 20G turbo upgrade due to what is being changed out.
    • Make sure things are installed properly as well. Don’t use screws to cap off vacuum lines.
    3. Pictures are worth a 1000 words. I can't tear apart your engine so I need proof that you are really running the pistons you say you are. No proof, no points.
    • ‘nuff said
    4. n2o is a cheap/easy way to score extra points. A well tucked system will score even more.
    • By this I mean basic bolt-ons help score points. A catch can, carbon fiber trim plate, etc.. can go a long way towards making your car stand out.

Cleanliness:
    1. Clean everything. Every bolt, every screw, every crack & crevice. Even if I can't see it I will stick my finger in it to try and feel the dirt. Yes, I'm a prick. I don't care.
    2. Clean everything again. You probably missed something
    3. Have your buddy clean it for you.
    4. If all else fails have a detail shop clean it for you...then clean it again at the show.
    Presentation/Display:
    1. This can make or break your chances of winning.
    • Not all of us are Honda/Mitsu/Subie/Toyota/Mazda/Nissan experts. A good display will have a logical mod list showing what has been done to your vehicle.
    • If you are in a car club, come with a theme/setup as well. Do things so that everyone will know that you belong to that club, yet try and find a way to highlight your car.
    2. Be prepared to walk the judges through your car but give them time to ask questions about each aspect as well.
    • This varies from show to show, but usually judges will want you to guide them through the highlights of your car. Keep in mind that the judges have only minutes to review your car. If there is something special you want them to know about make sure you tell them right away. First impressions go a LOOOONG way
    3. Know your car. Know why you did what you did. Why you chose this over that. Know what your parts do for you. Don't make **** up.
    • Not much to add here

4. Open your hood & trunk if you want what’s inside to be judged.
    • I lost my x-ray glasses years ago and have never gotten around to buying another pair
    5. Have a build book that outlines all of the changes your car has undergone. Have receipts.
    • Things like this just make our jobs easier and makes us think that you at least care about your car enough to make a good list
    6. Bring your own lighting
    • Use it to highlight the things you most want us to look at
    • Use it to place shadows on the blemishes/flaws
    7. Know the positives about your car as well as the negatives. If you see a judge heading towards a flaw, distract him. Get him to look elsewhere. We can't judge what we don't see.
    • Talk about the positives and direct away from the negatives.
    8. If they do find a flaw, tell them it happened on the way to the show (can really only tell them this once...if they are judging again next show you are screwed)
    • Best kept secret in the industry.
    HAVE FUN. Don't get pissed when you lose. It happens to everyone. Not everyone loves your car as much as you do. Also, don't be afraid to talk with judges after the show to see what they think you can improve on. Most will gladly point out a few things they see as needing improvement....also remember that judging is subjective and not objective. What appeals to one may appall another. Also, judges are human and make mistakes.

2. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

you forgot.... dont whore your skanky girl on teh car ;) (no offense to the p10 pics.. they are actually nice girls for once)

3. Tim the Plumber

Tim the Plumber Well-Known Member

If i was a judge and saw a bottle i would immediately deduct points. NOOSS!!!!!!!!!

4. tjamz

tjamz Well-Known Member

Doesn't change the scores the judges give....they usually run away and hide when we show up anyway. Just to clarify, I was NOT a judge at P10 this year but have been in years past.