What Do U Hate About U Subaru?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by TheWRX, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWRX

TheWRX Well-Known Member

What Do U Hate About Ur Subaru?

Hey I was just intersted to see what basically are the top issues that u hate about ur Subaru....

- I hate my bugeye...I love the 04 Model...
    - Only on Cup holder that I actully use, I don't like the one next 2 the hand brake...
    - The fact that my WRX is a High matince car...
    - The Gas milage, but thats my least...

I don't have any serious things as u see..but im sure some of u do...

Mohd

2. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

my 4spoke non sti steering wheel, my small brakes, the cupholder sitch sucks, the fact that it sound like a tin can if you tap it, NO HID, NO DCCD:( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

3. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

BECAUSE I'M ADDICTED TO THE DAMN CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

4. Steve-o

Steve-o Administrator Staff Member

It's not an sti.

5. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

because after 240k miles (200k in MN), my oil pan has rusted through, and I leak oil

after 170k miles (100k in MN), a fuel line has rusted through

I didn't hook up the VSS, or coolant temp sensor to the ECU

I didn't hook up the cruise

I can't afford decent suspension

The sticky wheel bearing

IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY CUPHOLDERS!!!!

only one of them is a design flaw, however...

6. SomethingsWrong

SomethingsWrong Well-Known Member

Worlds worst cup holders
    Had more than 50 miles on it at purchase (and shows it)
    Not an STi (or more powerful than)

Other than that, it's a blast to drive! :)

7. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Worst grammar and spelling among owners.

Love the car though.

8. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

i need more power

9. hercules

hercules New Member

my stupid turbo that makes my car go so fast...gosh i wish my subaru was more riceyEr...

10. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

The stock speakers! Also, my driver side window and seatbelt are very squeeky:( That the 227hp isn't whp.

11. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

aren't most cars really about what you put into them to get what you want out of them? I bought my 03 WRX mostly because it fit my requirements where most cars made in the us wont, it seems like our country is bs'ed by the FWD craze.

I would have to say I'm not totally satisfied with my Suby, but it seems like some of the complaints here are due to the fact that people bought a buget car that makes compromises, and expected a supercar.

the thing I don't like most about my car is the fact that quite a few high school parents seem to buy the car that I have now for their offspring. As a result of that and other perceptions, people seem to think i'm doing doughnuts in parking lots when I'm just parked there. If you know what I mean

12. mlgez

mlgez Well-Known Member

I think the only thing I don't like is actually my big brakes, loved them till resently. Can not get any of the "normal" rally tires on the 17x8 that are for dirt or snow. I want skinnier tires for offroad. Menard, no not Menards, tires are easier to find in 15" and 16" as are dirt tires. I may be selling the Brembos for some 4/2 pots.

13. ILLICITWERX

ILLICITWERX New Member

the only thing i hated about mine was the fact that it had a glass tranny...

14. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

i hate the fact nobody makes any plug and play mangement like for you clowns with the 02+ so i hafta settle for frankensteining ecus from different cars, but whatever works :) i love it otherwise, been nothing but good to me

15. AWDimprezaL

seriously mo, your car isnt high maint, get off it

16. PimPreza_WRX

PimPreza_WRX Well-Known Member

Word son

17. LesMiner

LesMiner Active Member

I do not have many complaints. True the amenities are not the latest. A Subaru does not automatically lock the doors when the speed exceeds 8 mph. The hood, truck, and gas fill door are all minimal wire cable instead of seleniods with computer control. Only the driver side power window has an auto feature but only when going down. Other cars do up and down on all windows. The overall interior and exterior fit and finish are equal to others. The 5 MT gear ratios are not spread effectively, more for EPA economy than performance. The sound system is entry level.

I bought a WRX for speed or the thrill of it. Second, reliability because it is a daily driver. Third, safety because of the crazies out there and my insurance company provides a favorable rate for high safety ratings. Fourth, AWD and manueverability because of Winter driving. I spend 1.5 to 2 hours a day commuting. In my WRX the commute is not so boring, fun actually.

I considered, very briefly, a Neon SRT4. It has many performance features. Quick but not as quick as a WRX based on my test drives. Fit and finish was horrible. The paint job was thin and dull with a little orange peel. Interior was much worse than a Subaru. A lot of after market Mopar performance items but the warranty clearly rejects any claim on a car with any mods. That's a rip since Chrysler markets the car for its performace and after market parts. Mustang GT another of my considerations, 300 hp V8. The retro look is really attactive to me. Not as quick as a WRX IMO. Besides Ford is also known as Fix Or Repair Daily. A lot of great interior amenities and aggressive pricing but would not suit me as a daily driver, RWD and reliability. An EVO was another choice but I just liked the WRX over it. Mazda RX8 more money not as quick but high fashion also RWD. VW GTI, turbo but not as fast. The German approach to service is that owner is at fault. The car is held in higher esteem than its owner. Something like, "so you are the owner, why haven't you maintained this car?" and "something wrong with the car? what did you do to it". Real customer service, all owners are scum. Anything else is a lot more money to get that thrill of speed.

18. bummpy

bummpy New Member

I actually HATE this feature on cars. If I wanted my doors locked, I'd to it my damn self thank you very much (that's to car makers, not you :p). And unless you live in new wark, it's actually more dangerous to drive around with your doors locked (in case of an accident where someone needs to pull you out.)

I'll agree on this one. I always feel like I have to dog my way through the lower powerband, and it's not just lag.

Yes to all these. And I'm definately not one of those people who wishes they would have gotten an sti instead... if they made one in wagon form, that'd be another story.

19. WagonsRock

WagonsRock Well-Known Member

No smokey drifts :-(

The fact that there are so many soccer moms driving the same car as me

20. AWDimprezaL

on the gear ratio comment...its not so much that its the gearing, its the fact that the 2.0 makes little to NO torque down low, try driving an 06 wrx, it has the same tranny, same turbo, but its a stump puller down low

21. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

couldn't have put it better myself...

22. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

There's a lot of "comfort" items I wish the STi had that it doesn't.

The only thing that really bothers me so far is the squeak in the dash I cannot find.

23. bummpy

bummpy New Member

I don't know, I'd wager that even with lag and low displacement it's putting down bigger numbers than my crx between 500-3000rpm. And the crx pulls pretty hard 1-3, it's quite a bit doggier in 4-5. Sure the ZC has a little more torque over stock and the crx weighs probably at least a kip less than the wrx, but c'mon.

Gearing effects that a lot more than you may think.

Edit:
    --------------------

Another thing affecting gear ratios is the fact that car companies design second gear for 0-60 times, not to optimize the power band, which can lead to ratios that are too short/tall.

24. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

you let me know when you're doing that:yumyum:

25. LesMiner

LesMiner Active Member

The 8 mph auto lock feature I think is a European requirement. European imports have it and some Japanese. If it were required in the US, Subaru would have it.

The 5MT ratio difference between 2nd and 3rd is too big. Wind up in 2nd to red line then drop to under 3,000 rpm in 3rd. Then run up to 90 mph in 3rd at red line. That's nearly a quarter mile in the first 3 gears. It does work though when accelerating to merge into traffic moving at 75 to 80 mph. Stay in 3rd at 4,000 rpm on the entry ramp then WOT at the first opportunity to merge in.

26. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

stock speakers in my rs are god awfull

my glove box rattles like crazy.. its not a snug fit

like everyone else i dont like my front cup holders

theres to much extra space in the engine bay

27. bummpy

bummpy New Member

Like I said, 2nd is usually so tall so that you can make it to 60mph in one shift and reduce the 0-60 time. You loose usable power band so that car makers can market themselves.

28. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

I hated the center diff on my 4eat subarus, I hate the syncros on my 5mt. But at least the pedals are situated for heel-toe and I'm slowly getting better at rev matching on the downshifts.

Otherwise I just wish I had spent more money and got a wrx instead of my obs.

29. 95lwrx

95lwrx Well-Known Member

i hate that when i wake up i have to decide which one to drive today:biggrin:

the only thing i dislike is the cupholder placement with something in there it makes a difficult time operating the heater controls and the cd player.

30. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

not fast enough
    tranny sucks

31. AWDimprezaL

+1 On the cupholder

32. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Cupholders in mine are great, its about damn time they changed that around.

Transmission Synchros are SLOOOOW.

That I don't have to downshift. :yumyum:

Sway bars aren't stiff enough.

CRAP FACTORY TIRES. (At least they're not Goodyears!)

1-80% then 100% throttle position thingy BS.

The TINY bit of lag (slow throttle response) I get when doing a downshift blip.

That my wheels aren't black with a chrome lip.

BUT, I must say, by far the best car I've had. Ever.

KUNG FU EAT MY POO, SUBARU.

33. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

what's with the front power windows, ('02 RS)

the sound in horrible. (even after the dealer fixed it)

I love the fact that the windows are frame-less,
    but the noice sucks.

and the stock radio heats up, like way hot?

fake wood trim sucks, ('98 GT)

34. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Oh yeah, forgot about the crap speakers too. haha.

35. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

The problems I notice that my Subaru has is:

1. ...

actually I can't think of any issues with my Subaru Forester. It does it's job and does it well. It hasn't left me stranded yet (51,000+ miles) and I love it's power delivery. It has guts after 2000 rpm and has balls after 3000 rpm but it takes a dump after 6000 rpm.

36. carl

carl Well-Known Member

the paint seems to be a bit sketchy. the seats suck too

37. TheWRX

TheWRX Well-Known Member

^^ I will probebly stop bitchin when I get my tune up done, unless I have another problem.....

^^^ I also have this...but don't feel like takin the whole dash apart just to check out wats squeaking...LOL...

Also the speaker thing...I believe I blew up two so far...any adivce on a nice cheap upgrade or should i just do the upgraded ones from subaru...

38. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Only things I can think of that I didnt plan on changing, or that I couldnt easily change are no fold down rear seat and that its a target for skreet racers and thieves

39. TSTRBOY2004

get a decent head unit if you dont have one... cause to much volume on a substandard head unit = DISTORTION which equals dead speaker...

also you got to expect some issues when you buy a used vehicle form soemone you have no idea how it was treated or maintained...

40. krees23

krees23 Well-Known Member

The seats are a pain when you have to go on a long drive ( over an hour).
    Synchros are way to slow, especially from 4th to 5th.
    Should have come with better F / R swaybars to start with
    Nobody where I live wants to race me anymore...

41. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

Pretty much everything I didn't like about my '04 was fixed when I bought my '06.

About the only thing I don't like about my '06 is the weird timing issues that NOBODY has figured out yet. It seems like the ecu has set a lower total timing number of 11* below 3800rpms -- in other words, you cannot run any less timing than this -- this is NOT GOOD if you want to run anything over stage 1 at this time.

So I guess I hate the fact that I have to stare at all of my exhaust stuff collecting dust in my garage now until this extra timing map is found. Or maybe I just have a good excuse to get a meth injection kit now. :lol:

42. jdmspecWRX

jdmspecWRX Well-Known Member

Hood Scoop
    02-03 Foglights (hate the front end of the ‘04+)
    Safety features, Crash Test Rating and AWD
    Reliability
    It’s a blast when I feel like pushing it
    Love the 4-doors
    Love the sound of the boxer engine……like an army helicopter
    Turbo
    Going on twisty and hilly roads

Dislikes:

Aluminum pedals are slippery when wet
    Pedals are too close together, have to wear good fitting shoes to drive properly
    Sqeaky seat belt when pulled
    Static shock every damn single time I get out of the car
    Should come with tighter turning radius and smaller steering wheel like the STI
    Supportive seats but also uncomfortable when I am tired driving home after work
    Seat belt tension comes on too early, like when I am leaning to check out traffic…it locks me in, and have to try again.

Better paint
    1st gear and notchy shifter
    Glass Tranny…….not too big of an issue, I don’t launch
    Cupholder above the stereo, and next to e-brake, interferes with shifter
    Stereo tuning knob on wrong side

In my book, an STI is faster, but not necessarily better for me, I am happy with my rex overall. Just some things I’d wish they’d change……..or I can do myself.

A perfect world '03 WRX:

adjustable pedals with rubber covers for winter driving
    better paint
    STI steering wheel and turning radius
    Better stereo, speakers, and cupholders
    No squeaking selt belt or static electric shocks
    Plush Lexus seats, supportive, sporty, yet you'd melt in them
    Better tranny with better gearing
    Eliminate turbo lag and add low-end torque

43. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

the damn 06 windshields!!!

i had my 02 for 90k miles no chips
    in less than 8k miles i already have 2. WTF SUBARU!!!! WTF!!!!!
    and everyone i got was from an on coming car kicking up a rock not from following.

right now i'm holding out for a recall (crosses fingers)

i love everything else about my sti :)

for those of you who complained about lag thats the nature of turbo's, i guess you could go with a smaller turbo but who wants less power?

the tires aren't crap, they just are crap compared to what you can buy aftermarket and why should they put awesome tires on their mid level vehicle?, if you want better tires stock buy a sti.

and one last rebuttle, the tranny's don't suck just people who don't know how to drive/maintian them properly. i've known of 02 wrx's with stock tranny running 12.6's with no problems and still being able to down shift to 1st at 20 mph. sure you can't drop the clutch and do massive burn outs in a wrx but thats because of physics and the car not putting out enough power/torque for the weight (etc.) and all the force being put out by the engine has to go somewhere. and why should subaru design for you to be able to do this in a wrx when they provide a model that you can in. once again buy a sti if you want to do it.

44. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

sounds to me like you should get a Legacy GT.

They rule.

45. TSTRBOY2004

so windscreens getting cracked form rocks from oncoming cars is SUBARU'S fault... man I need like 4 windscreens warrantied on my WRX... ha ha its called Life, it can be a bitch, but thats LIFE!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.