What shop to go for muffler install/cat back

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by WLGT, Feb 4, 2012.

1. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

Where should I go to install the 2 magnaflow mufflers and maybe ask for an new cat back too. Someone who will do an excellent job for a great low price.

2. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

is this an axle back or cat back installation? or turbo back?

3. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

Just the 2 new(used) mufflers from another member and trying to see if they can add a new(better flowing) cat back exhaust to the mufflers as well. So I believe cat back with used mufflers.

4. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Are the mufflers the same diameter inlet and outlet as your current exhaust? If its the same diameter, any exhaust shop will work.

As for catbacks, it really depends on how nice of a setup you want. If you are fine with crush bent, pretty much any exhaust shop in the city. If you want a mandrel bent exhaust, there arent as many shops in town that do it and they arent cheap.

5. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

How's the wonderful exhaust guy on Rice Street in little canada? Is he good or/and can install customer parts or should I just go to Midas or something

6. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

dont go to midas...

7. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. What about the Auto Max on Rice Street.

8. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

fobia....

9. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

You can't install em for me

10. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

What about Tims Custom Exhaust in Coon Rapids? Might be expensive though

11. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

look. best thing to do is buy a turbo back exhaust used off this forum or nasioc. i have never payed over 300 for a used turbo back. i build exhaust systems every day and i cant build a mandrel bent system for under 600$. that's y0ur best bet. easy to install by your self. if you cant i would be glad to charge you 60$ to install one for you. I'm in Roseville.

12. MOsubie

MOsubie Well-Known Member

I did mines in coon rapids by the shop of altra or ultra. He was pretty good and easy to deal with.

13. Subie Lovers

Subie Lovers Well-Known Member

I also know others who like to make a few extra $$$ and would attach an after market exhaust for pennies... Import Image Racing also has many good deals on new parts for our cars... also being that it's an LGT I would also check LegacyGT.com for used parts.

14. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

So can you install the 2 used magnaflow mufflers from another member on for me with new axle back/new y-pipe back for $60? Should arrive here sometime this week. If you can do $60 to install both mufflers and with new y-pipe back. I'll come over and have you install it.

15. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

nope. not for that price. for 60$ ill hang a used one for ya. i learned along time ago to stop trying to fix or add stuff to old exhaust systems unless i know that its all clean stainless and not rusty steal or aluminized crap. i tig weld and tig works grate as long as its real clean steel, stainless and aluminum. if its not it spits and spatters and wrecks my tungsten and gas lenses and there goes any profit. so if you got a clean non rusty system and have the mufflers and pipes i can give you a bid. all i have for pipe is 16ga 3 inch mandrel bent stainless 90s and they are 40$ a bend.

16. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

So where should I go to have both used mufflers installed along with new y-pipes? Or how much would you want for that?

17. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

^^^I think fobia's typical work is a bit beyond piecing together your used/random parts. I think the problem you may be having is that you are looking for an "excellent job for a great low price" but you're asking for custom work, which generally comes at an increased price. My suggestion would be stop by a few local muffler shops meineke, midas, ma and pa shops etc......and ask them what they'd fabricate at what cost and if it's too much it may be time to buy a proper "system" made specifically for your car. It'll install with a couple wrenches or sockets too.

18. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

before i started welding i got a cheap axle back made for me at the muffler doctor in circle pines. cheap aluminized metal all crush bent and mig welded. that sounds like what your looking for

19. vangstaboi86

vangstaboi86 Well-Known Member

A++ for fobia's work. He custom fab me my 10 second turbo kit ;)

20. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

So where or who can install my used mufflers along with a new axle back or y-pipe back?

21. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I think that the problem that you're having is that you need a custom exhaust built with your new mufflers? Not too many people have custom exhausts...brand name ones are too cheap to buy to have a custom one built.

22. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

Only need 2 4ft pipes to be welded on the inlet muffler and the factory y split.

23. tangledupinblu

I understand that, but no one on here gets custom exhaust work done. We tend to buy exhausts and have them installed or install them ourselves. There used to be a couple of guys that would do it, but it's usually more expensive to do that than to just buy an exhaust and there are so many options out there.

I have a friend that said he could hook you up with someone, but it would probably cost you $500-600. Lmk if you want his #.

24. MOsubie

MOsubie Well-Known Member

If you're up to it just buy the stuff yourself and weld or clamp them together from the closest auto parts store.

25. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

I'll find someone who can do this for me. Didn't think it would be so hard or cost so much for a few feet of pipe. I remember having an muffler put on my old car for just $40

26. Hoyabob2003

Hoyabob2003 New Member

If you don't mind driving out to buffalo there's a shop there called DL radiator and exhaust. It's run by a nice old guy who does good custom exhaust work for very fair price.

27. tangledupinblu

The 304? stainless can probably run you a couple hundred bucks just for the two four foot lengths. You can always use a cheaper tubing, but if you want it done right, it won't be cheap. Buying a used turboback system is the most affordable way to go. Sorry i couldn't be more helpful.

28. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Tim's ain't bad but I think they are a little expensive

29. Talonted

Talonted Well-Known Member

guy in north east minneapolis, maybe it was st. paul i dont remember but his shopd name is "dave's muffler and breakes" does great work did full dual exhaust on my truck for 250$ ad thats with a flowmaster muffler.. ill try to find his info for you

30. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

31. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

32. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Dude, when did you get spellcheck? Other than "grate..." I can't like this post enough!

OP sounds like another dude who won't listen to reason and is waiting to hear what they want to hear. Good luck with that. Ibhedisappearsmaxvenderbutthurtstyle and ibishouldhavelistenedtoeveryonebutnowitstoolate.

Ninjaplease! likes this.
  33. fobiawrx

fobiawrx Fabiola

Firefox for the win!

idget likes this.
  34. Subie Lovers

Quoted from LegacyGT.com:
    [​IMG]
    1st off I don't want to hurt your feelings, but he "sold" you on how much he got his exhaust done for... I am sure he didn't get this whole thing for $50 he was most likely posting that so his item would be sold quicker.

Look... we do want to see your car stage 2... But most of our member are speaking from experience... There are a lot of things that should be done before you start throwing dollars at mods that will only expedite the failure of your car... Just do a search for banjo bolts on the site... and READ IT... I read what you posted.

Also I don't want you to turn out like this guy...
    http://mnsubaru.com/threads/diagnosing-a-rod-knock.37408/
    http://mnsubaru.com/threads/110-octane-fuel.37420/
    http://mnsubaru.com/threads/subaru-uses-strong-bolts.37457/

I would like to see you and your car at the LAX cruise, but the way its going... the magic eight ball would say, "Reply hazy, try again"

I hope this helps...
    Thanks,
    Dean

35. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

So, you're saying I shouldn't have bought them? Just waiting for the DP and up pipe too arrive then I'll go and have Ronnie tune the car after the install and too remove the banjo bolt. I'm going to Tims exhaust when the mufflers come and see what he can do or recommend that I do. So what is wrong with doing it like that?

36. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

Doing it like his pic there. Does it not flow right or something?

37. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

Coming to Tues meet tomorrow to pay you anyways. You can tell me whats wrong with that setup in more detail tomorrow.

38. idget

Serious question. Do you know what the stock exhaust system looks like?

The dude you bought it from had a shop cut the stock mufflers on and had these welded in place. I', guessing the needed to use a small section of pipe and an expander (or a reducer pipe) to get it to fit since the stock pipe near the muffler is a smaller diameter than the 2.5" inlet on the mufflers you bought.

You'll need to do something like this (twice):

Project 3.3RS

To create a cat back out of it, you'll need about 6 feet of pipe where the section towards the front is (kind of) straight, then splits into 2 sections to meet each muffler near the rear diff.

What everyone is telling you is that you can't even buy (good, new) pipe for the catback with $40.

You might be able to find someone willing to cut off your stock mufflers and replace them with the magnaflows for cheap... but $40 is a douchebag request from a complete stranger... think about it... that's 25-50% of most shops' 1-hour labor rate. That's either buddy prices or some hillybilly ****... speaking of which izzy might do it for $40 lol

IzzySTi likes this.
  39. Subie Lovers

In the end I am not sure what your over all cost will be but I am guessing more than the part that is listed below... This is the first I have heard you mention anything about the banjo bolts and the up-pipe (which I am glad you have read about)... I am also not sure about that exhaust... I don't see anything wrong functionally but I am not an expert.

IDK... I guess the way I see it... the way you are going about it is more for the people who enjoy spending time in their garage working on their car... They will be the ones who have a lot more experience fabing stuff together part by part... most of them enjoy wrenching over driving...

Me... I am more of a novice... so I go for things like this:
    http://www.importimageracing.com/gimmick-motorsports-3-catless-turboback-exhaust-05-09-legacy-gt.html

Which I can save a few dollars on labor by bolting it up with a few wrenches and a jack.

40. idget

btw Dean, the first and last one of those I installed the fitment was almost as ****ty as the cnt

Subie Lovers likes this.
  41. Subie Lovers

^ and this is why I wait until I have been fully educated before I purchase anything.

42. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I've found that if you spend the extra money on some of the higher end brands when it comes to parts you usually recoup that in fitment, function and longevity as well as ease of installation.

43. derp

derp Well-Known Member

this thread is turning fun.

44. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

I love building exhausts for free or at a loss... It's why I do it!!!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  45. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

So, I just went to Tims Exhaust and he'll do a whole new 2.25 inch cbe with my mufflers for $300. Not too bad. Total $425 for new cbe. Savings of around $200+. Wasn't planning on getting a whole new cbe but why not.