Wheel repair in the cities?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Chux, May 27, 2009.

1. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

so I finally got around to having the tire patched on the summer set for the wagon (don't really drive it anymore....so I was slacking). and found that the inside rim was cracked. being such a low profile tire, I didn't notice it was low for days. so I'm sure I hit a pothole with 10-15psi in the tire.....

anyway. not having a whole lot of luck up here.....anyone know of a shop in the cities that might be able to weld this sucker back up for a decent price?

[​IMG]

2. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

3. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

5. predavore

6. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

How about just some JB, are the rims really nice? err not?

7. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I have a mapp torch. but because aluminum transfers heat so effectively, you pretty much have to heat the whole thing. I had a hell of a time getting the supercharger manifold fabbed up......

while I did consider brazing for a minute. epoxy isn't good enough, certainly not JB Fail.

it is on the inside rim, so it doesn't matter at all what the repair looks like.

Thanks for the link sheen. but yea, they want $150. this would probably be a pretty small job for someone with the equipment, but I'm sure they have to charge a fortune for the liability (why the shops up here won't touch it).

8. predavore

Heat it up in the oven to 400 degrees. Pull it out, hit it with the torch. Add filler. Voila!

9. Frogy

Frogy Well-Known Member

I would not recommend these guys, in the past they were okay, but my last experience was bad!

10. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

please explain. It's been a couple years for me and I'm thinking of going back.

Chux, sorry for the hijack. I can start a new thread if you want, but this is sorta on topic (just doesn't apply to your current situation).

11. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I'd call it on-topic. I probably won't use them anyway, but I'm very curious to hear feedback!

12. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Precision is the way to go if you want it done right. Keystone Wheel is even more expensive.

13. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

I had damage to a wheel like that on my 240. I brought the wheel to a local machine shop that has done work for me before. They drilled out the end of the crack and then TIG welded up the rest of it and then ground it flat. I then found matching paint and just painted the affected area. I know where the crack was and can not find where it was. With tire removal and mounting it cost me less then $50

I had talked to a couple wheel repair places and they all told me $300+ and then shipping.

14. 08TuboGT

08TuboGT Well-Known Member

IF you want to have someone do it for you bring it to Precision Wheels. I had mine repaired there and they do a great job. 150 per wheel and thats including refinishing.

15. morganm

morganm New Member

I used Precision Wheels some years back. Only shop I could find in the cities at the time that would touch aluminum wheels. Had some rare Iroc Z rims and dented one real bad on a curb. Their price was $130 back then; guess $150 is about right for now-days =) I was very happy but the only reason it was worth it to me was because I would never find a replacement wheel and it was either buy a whole set of 4 rims or get one repaired... it was more cost effective to just get it fixed as I wasn't going to put cheap rims on that car.

While the crack doesn't look that bad it's hard to really tell how bad the rim is with out spinning it. I'd highly recomend putting it on a dowel rod between to cinder blocks, spin it, and step back looking at it from all angles while it spins. I think you'll see just how truly hosed it is and that's more than just a crack. Maybe you'll get lucky and after inspecting it like that and see it's not that mashed. Then you could just find someone who can weld alluminum to fill it and you just grind it down smooth.

16. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I rolled it down the sidewalk....and set it on the tire to compare the rim to the bead on the tire. if it isn't round, it's extremely close.

I'm not paying $150 for the repair. I can get a new rota for like $170. but I certainly don't need a new one. the others are all fairly beat up.

17. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Is Precision Wheels still in business? I can no longer find a web presence for them.

I'm looking for a refinisher (match factory appearance of OEM wheel), no repair needed.

18. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

See PM...

19. derp

derp Well-Known Member

20. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

21. derp

derp Well-Known Member

No problem :)