Wheels & Wings 9/9/17

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by pleiades, Aug 29, 2017.

1. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Some of you may be familiar with it, but there's an annual car show in the town I live in on Saturday, Sept 9th. I've been attending my whole life and entering my own cars for several years, but never thought to try and get a group of Subarus together for it. Most cars there are classics but there's a little of everything, from rat rods to Ferraris. It's a big show with several hundred cars, an air show with stunt pilots, vendors, and a "radar run" down the airstrip.

If anyone else is available to bring their car or even just check it out I'd really like to get a group together to make it more fun. There's a small carnival in town at the same time so there's plenty for the non-car-obsessed people in your families to do too. Aside from the festivities, there are also plenty of twisty roads around the area where we could do a nice cruise afterward. Being Wisconsin, there are also several small bars to relax in, as well as a couple wineries nearby.

Let me know if you'd like to put your pride and joy on display or if you're just interested in seeing what the show has to offer! Admission is free but it's $10 to enter your car (on-site or online). Registration starts at 7am, judging is at 10am, and they're limiting it to the first 700 cars that arrive.

495 North Cascade Street,
    Osceola, WI 54020

Event website:
    http://www.wheelswings.com

Car show details:
    http://www.wheelswings.com/classic-car-show.html

cars_orig.jpg

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

The car club I'm in hosts a show every year on that same weekend, and I hate it. Have always wanted to go to this show and there's always a sprint car special this same night at Cedar Lake. Would be an excellent way to kill a whole Saturday.

pleiades likes this.
  3. pleiades

Yes! What better way to spend your Saturday than with a sensory overload of cars, trucks, bikes, planes, beer, food, and some crazy-ass sprint cars sliding around an oval dirt track? Cedar Lake is only about 15-20 minutes from the car show and the gates there open at 5pm, so there is plenty of time to do both. You'd even get a nice break in between to have a nice lunch, visit a vineyard, shower under a waterfall, go antiquing, drive some country roads, or whatever else you feel like doing.

Info on the races here:
    http://www.cedarlakespeedway.com

4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I went a few years as a spectator when Motorbooks International still in town and a major sponsor. Loved going through their warehouse.

5. pleiades

Lol yeah there's a daycare in their old office now. I think they still set up shop in a hangar at the show but I can't be certain. Still a great show even though they've changed locations.

6. briancustoms

briancustoms Well-Known Member

I brought my Volkstruck about 7 years ago. Really fun show. This year it's on my son's 3rd birthday and we already made plans. Maybe next year.

pleiades likes this.
  7. pillboy

Do they still have the craft booths downtown for the women folk?

8. pleiades

9. pleiades

Well, looks like I won't even be going this year. Just found out yesterday I'll be traveling to Houston for work, helping our customers affected by Hurricane Harvey. I'm leaving tomorrow and will be there for two weeks. Might still have my car at the show though.

10. pillboy

What type work do you do?

11. pleiades

I'm a claims adjuster for GEICO, and as you might imagine we've got thousands upon thousands of vehicles that were damaged in the hurricane and flooding. Whenever there's a natural disaster somewhere we send people from all over the country to help out so I have to do this maybe once every year or two.

12. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Dangit! I was working on getting the wife to agree to come to this.:(

I'll be saying some prayers over your journey down there brother! My brother, who is also member on here, lives down there but was unaffected by the floods due to their location in Houston. Lmk if you want his number! He likes beer too. ;)

pleiades likes this.
  13. pillboy

I have to believe it is a sad job dealing with customers that have been thrust into such a devastating situation. Have a safe trip.

pleiades likes this.
  14. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

15. pleiades

Yeah that's pretty tough to watch, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who had to go through much worse. Not looking forward to being in the middle of all that but it's part of the job and our customers definitely need our help, even if their car isn't their highest priority at the moment.

16. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

The wife & I are going to be there with our WRX's

17. pleiades

Think my sister will most likely be bringing mine.

18. pillboy

Trusting soul. But then again I don't know your sister.

19. pleiades

It does make me a bit uneasy, but she's driven it before and loves it.