When will YOU be putting on those winter tires?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Substeroo, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Substeroo

Substeroo Well-Known Member

I currently have (as I figured out about 2 months ago:I) some all-seasons on: Ventus Hankook HRII. However, they hardly have traction even in the rain, I can't imagine how they would perform in the cold and snow. I give myself until the end of the week if it doesn't snow, then the stock wheels are going on with some used Bridgestone Blizzaks. Bring on the Ice Trials!:cool:

2. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

I still need to buy some, but they will be going on round about the time when overnight temps are consistently in the low 30's.

3. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I dont think I'll be putting mine on til before or after Thanksgiving, I have a set of snow tires I bought last year on steelies, and than had just bought some summer tires a few months ago. We didn't see too much last year all at once, but dont be surprised this year, better to be prepared.

C :cool:

4. Beej

Beej New Member

When the snow starts to accumulate, then they go on.

5. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

It's better to be safe than sorry, I say. When the temps get to where water turns into ice, that's when I feel it is best to have them on. I've had an occurance where it was almost Spring and I was too excited to put on the summer tires. Going downhill after a wet morning, the Yokohama ES100 tires couldn't grip and I ended up spinning into the other side of the street. I'm glad there was no oncoming cars, or else I wouldn't be driving.

6. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

I might put mine on this weekend.. forecast says 30% chance snow accumulation on Sunday... that's enough for me to switch. We'll see what they say as we get closer to Sunday. I usually end up switching the first or second week of Nov.. but if this weather continues it's trend, it'll be earlier.

-Jordan

7. KaliforniaKid

KaliforniaKid New Member

Yeah mine are going on this weekend for sure.

8. Gspot

Gspot New Member

not till I see snow....OR somebody buys my rims

9. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

The morning of the first snow. The Wheels/tires are sitting in the back garage, just waiting for that moment...

10. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Chin

The morning of the first snow. The Wheels/tires are sitting in the back garage, just waiting for that moment...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    What if the first snow is in the afternoon.. or evening while you're out on the town? :-o

11. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

soon. maybe this weekend..

12. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

No plans to go out of town with the car between now and then. ...and if it snows in the afternoon, I will know from the forecast, so it will be that morning. ;) I used to have the dilema of when to do it because I had one set of wheels, but now I have wheels dedicated to the snows (and race rubber in the summer). I just have them sitting in the "toy" garage next to the compressor and jack, all I have to do is roll the RS out and the STi in. It will take 10min to swap, max. :p

13. morganm

morganm New Member

Mine are on 24/7/365 :mrgreen:

14. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

morganm lol, thats really funny

15. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Morgan doesn't need rubberized undercoating either. :p

16. jk78

jk78 New Member

Just put on Blizzaks yesterday. A little premature, but it was a swap for my RE92s to a coworker that was trading in his WRX for a Legacy GT last night. He had Rotas and Stock/Blizzaks and was going to trade in the WRX on Blizzaks. I said that'd be a waste and gave him my RE92s. Now I'm forced to buy new rims next Spring! Nice..

17. Substeroo

I mostly worry about those idiot drivers who forget EVERY YEAR how to drive in the snow/sleet. I'm pretty sure I'll be swapping both cars' wheels this weekend.

18. Flipndabrd

Flipndabrd Well-Known Member

I got my 04' this year right as the snow was all melting. I never really got a chance to try it out in different conditions. Are snow tires needed or is this an option that everyone is choosing to do?

Matt

19. Gspot

Gspot New Member

Are you still on RE92s? Those arent too bad in the snow.

20. jprice

jprice Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gspot

Are you still on RE92s? Those arent too bad in the snow.
    Compared to what? Summer tires? ;-)

21. Substeroo

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Flipndabrd

I got my 04' this year right as the snow was all melting. I never really got a chance to try it out in different conditions. Are snow tires needed or is this an option that everyone is choosing to do?

Matt

I got through winter okay with all-seasons. However, snow tires provide MUCH better traction.

22. cannonfodder

cannonfodder Guest

i have already changed to new all season, due to a tire blow mishap. one popped, and since they do not produce the re 92's anymore, i had to replace all four. from what i have read, and last winter's experience, the bridgestones suck. so now i have continental conticontacts on. lots of good reviews on them. that gives me the winter to save up for some superleggeras or some prodrive p1's. so if anyone has some that they are thinking of selling, shoot me an email. just going up one inch.

23. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

I just got Dunlop Wintersport M3's put on last night.

RE92's:

[​IMG]

24. Substeroo

Wow repost!!! From last year!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.