Where do I start in making my 2.5 RS a Turbo?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by frogzll, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frogzll

frogzll New Member

Any ideas? I am new to this hobby and have no idea where to even start. Any suggestion on websites? Any advise you have will be greatly appreciated.

2. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

You start with a motor swap. =p

3. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

+1 for that! that's what i'm saving for

4. SenorSubie

SenorSubie Well-Known Member

+1 for motor swap

what year is your rs? you can buy turbo kits for some years, they will cost about 2300 and be very unreliable (BOOM)

5. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Turbo kits will end up costing as much if not more than a swap... and yes they are not as reliable.

6. Steve-o

Steve-o Administrator Staff Member

Yup, and they make more power.

7. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

actually, a custom turbo kit could cost less than a swap.....but there are no more potentials to it. what you can achieve is as much as you'll get....you'll be much better off with a swap!

8. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

ok, first off go to RS25.com and do some reading in the turbo forums. there are plenty of good posts there detailing every part of a DIY turbo kit.

as stated above a swap is the easier and safer way to more potentail power. however what LVT said is correct. a DIY turbo kit can cost you less then a swap if you know what your doing. ie. i made my turbo kit from scratch i started w/ 0 parts. $2100 i had a turbo kit on my car that is on par with any pre-made kit out there.

9. rsimage

rsimage New Member

I've got a turbo kit that i'm willing to sell you pm me if you're interested. It's for a 2000 rs

10. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

Bah, everyone does the engine swap. My old turbocharged 99 RS had gone almost 100k miles with the turbo kit and has never blown up. In fact in may have exceeded the 100k mark with the new owner. Sure it was more difficult to make more than maybe 250 lb-ft of torque at the crank but the torque on that plant came on infinitely faster than the factory turbo plants with the lower CR, that's why the RS makes such a great auto-x and hill-climb car. Even at only 5 lbs of boost it was quicker than a lightly modified WRX, and way more unique.

And hopefully you're talking about turbocharging a 2001 or older RS. If not then you'd be better off selling the newer one and buying a WRX rather than doing the swap on a 2002+ RS.

11. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

it's a unique and good setup...but as stated, there isn't much potential to it because the power it makes is pretty much maxing out the motor. to build the motor to handle more power, it'll cost just as much as a swap already. therefore, a swap would be best for the money.

12. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

just make sure you do your research before you start buying stuff. there are alot of parts that you migh think you need, but really dont.

13. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

well i plan on blowing up my 2.2 by turboing it, and making room for my swap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.