where to dispose oil filters

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by xxtraloud, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxtraloud

xxtraloud New Member

I just dumped my oil at O'Reilly but they don't take the filters. Another local oil change asked me $2 for filter to dispose them. WTF?!

who takes them? I don't wanna throw them in the trash, is it safe to put them into the cans/metal recycle containers?

do napa or autozone take them? or any city of minneapolis recycling place?

2. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

so you dont want to pay to have them disposed of but the business you are pissed at has too?? that my friend is a BIG WTF!!!!

try most oil change places... if not find a local hazardous waste station

3. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

Go to an oil change place...or a dealership. Ask one of the techs if you can toss 'em...they have barrels full anyway, what's 1 or 2 more?

4. xxtraloud

xxtraloud New Member

I am not sure what you are trying to say. They probably either dispose them at no cost or they sell them as scrape metal. Nothing comes free.

5. TSTRBOY2004

BULL****.. mate I ran/owned a repair shop for 3yrs + WE PAID FOR SOMEONE TO DISPOSE OF THEM!!! it costs money.... IS THAT A LITTLE EASIER TO UNDERSTAND... kinda like this.. a barrel gets full of crushed or uncrushed filters, you call a company, they come with a truck and a dolly, they load said barrel of filters onto truck, write a receipt/invoice to YOU, then they leave... at end of month you send the payment to cover said receipt/invoice... hence it costs money to dispose of them... CLEARER ;)

6. TSTRBOY2004

and to add so I aint sounding like I am just being an ass.... most places will take them, they usually just dont want every man and his dog dropping all their filters off.. I mean they run a business to do all changes.. hence why their is shop fees etc on the tickets, to cover disposal costs etc... then to just let every person do their own oil changes at home then come to their shop to dispose of the stuff that the shop has to pay for to get it disposed... hence they are trying to cover their cost outlay.. its fair to me...

I say call a few places.. usually a dealer wont mind as much as they have more workflow and wont feel the pinch so much

7. xxtraloud

xxtraloud New Member

I understand for a small oil change place. But places like autozone and pep boys, they wouldn't be around if people would not buy filters. And if you buy a filter you also need to dispose the old one.

8. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

i clean mine up and throw them in the garbage, oh no, the poor sea lions in alaska

9. Taras

Taras BANNED

Yeah, thats really cruel, they die slowly. Club them.

Just bring like a bag full of filters that you accumulated over time and pay like five bucks to one of the techs at a quick lube.

10. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

I save a bag full of them, drive slowly through neighborhoods, and toss them at homes and drive off.

Next target, a Spec B Legacy

11. Taras

Taras BANNED

yeah, thats great:roll:

12. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

I toss mine in the garbage. All of the landfills now have to be double lined with a leachate collection and filtration system. So pretty much if there is an ounce of oil in the filter when it gets thrown away it will not reach the ground soil, and will eventually be collected and filtered out through the normal leachate process.

Granted recycling is the better option. Crushing the filters can take out 99% of the oil that is left in them and minimizes waste filter volume. At which point the squeezed out oil and the filter can both be recycled.

13. Iroc-Z

Iroc-Z Well-Known Member

Thats why each county seems to have a hazardous waste disposal. Here is a tip if you don't want to deal with disposing the oil filters go get your oil changed at a shop. I can tell you for a fact that shops pay to dispose of them. Also parts stores are not set up to take them. They can take oil and thats it.

14. flstffxe

flstffxe Well-Known Member

I let mine drain in the funnel for my used oil until the next time I change oil in some thing(a month or two). They weigh just a little more then a new dry filter does when I toss them in the trash.

Most counties have a recycling facility for you to drop off hazardous waste generated in a household, including small amounts of automotive waste created by the do-it-your-selfer. Here is a link to Hennepin County's site and the pdf of what they accept and charge. Oil and filters appear to be free.

15. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Dude! You make me LOL at work and im going to get in trouble! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

16. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

:cool:

17. DGRx

DGRx Member

Bag a couple, drop of at autozone after hours at their entrance or backdoor. No one will know...

18. dipp

dipp Well-Known Member

on hwy 96 (shoreview) where snelling ends on the back side of the army ammo plant you can dump your oil and get rid of your filters for free.

19. carl

carl Well-Known Member

give them to people for their birthdays

20. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Yup, here's the one for Ramsey county.

http://www.co.ramsey.mn.us/ph/hw/household_hazardous_waste.htm

21. i_subie

i_subie Well-Known Member

I usually take my oil filters and used oil to Advance Auto Parts, since it's only a couple blocks away. They usually toss it out for me and never charge me for it. You could probably try your local AAP?

22. Hallywood

Hallywood Well-Known Member

Oh you already sounded like an ass, no turning back now ;)

23. TSTRBOY2004

yet another responsible answer.. I hope people like you get caught on camera and reported!!!

24. TSTRBOY2004

then I am in good company... ha hah a

25. DGRx

DGRx Member

Ok ok. Ill just throw them in the garbage then...:yumyum:

26. rmrf

rmrf Well-Known Member

my city has a recycling depot for oil and filters. chances are, your city has the same thing.

27. xxtraloud

xxtraloud New Member

just for the record. I dropped them off at walmart. they take at the most 3 a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.