Where to find nitrogen on the east side of cities?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by ofspunk7, Mar 19, 2010.

1. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anywhere I can locate some nitrogen? I can get it from motorwerks and MNTK but I would rather not deal with traffic after work if I don't have to. Anyone know any local dealerships or anywhere else that has it?

Discount Tire Maplewood - no
    White Bear Subaru - no
    Firestone - no

Just figured I would ask

2. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Venburg??

Russ

3. Tim the Plumber

Tim the Plumber Well-Known Member

Check any beer distributor that sells kegs of guiness (if you looking for bottoled) or are you looking to fill your tires?

4. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I think most Tires Plus locations have a setup to fill tires with nitrogen.

5. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

what's a nirtogen? ;)

6. ofspunk7

Yes looking for my tires. Ok I will check out tires plus

7. jmyhre05

jmyhre05 Well-Known Member

VALVOLINE ON RICE ST!!! im the manager and my assistant has a 06 wrx also! come talk to us and get nitrogen!! and a oil change and anything else you need! for a fee ofcourse... any questions just ask me and ill get you a quote

8. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

I am sure most Goodyears should have it.. a lot of Tires Plus's... never used it myself...

sorry... but nitrogen is a joke.. JMO... we were trying it out at the dealership I worked at...

Why would someone pay for air in their tires... yes I know some of the advantages.. ALL GOOD IF YOU PLAN ON TAKING OFF AND LANDING ;)

lets see... we have used air in our tires for 60, 70+ years... hey try helium... it will make your car float a little and help reduce wear and tear, and improve fuel usage ha ha

9. Peodi

Peodi Well-Known Member

^^ This, air is already 80% nitrogen anyways

10. bora28

bora28 New Member

No, most tires plusses dont have nitrogen, because its a joke!

11. ofspunk7

You have a PM

Well my car came with it. My tire pressure is the exact same as it was when i took my tires off this fall. I am just going to boost them up from my fall PSI to a summer PSI. I guess feel how you might about air but I am ok with paying $10 a year.... i spend more than that on redbull in one week.

12. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

*nitrogen

13. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

lmao. I would love to see hydrogen... in a burnout contest.

My tire pressures were also exactly the same as in November when I parked the car and let it sit for 4 months... with air. You're right tho, it's your money.

14. ofspunk7

Yeah, i can't say that i have done any research on it. So i won't pretend to defend it. The car came with it, i figure why not.

15. heavy hauler

heavy hauler New Member

i now costco in maple grove has it. maybe others?

16. jmyhre05

OK EVERYONE!!! listen up!!!! Nitrogen is a bigger molecule so it leaks out 6 times slower first of all... second of all it doesn't fluctuate to temperature as much because it doesn't move as fast as oxygen so you get a smoother quieter ride on the freeway... third of all you dont have to check them as much, if your tires are 6-7psi low you burn 4% more gas per tire!!! up to 16% more gas! and also if you consistently drive at that pressure then your tread wears 50% faster and this is from goodyear and michelin!! also oxygen carries moister and you wonder why your rims dont seal properly!!!!!

17. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Complete BS.

18. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Dude. Do you have a newsletter or a blog I can subscribe to?

19. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

OH man. I knew there was a reason I liked you.

20. readymix

21. TSTRBOY2004

been listening to Obama about inflating your tires too??? ha ha ha

22. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

The main advantage to pure nitrogen is the fact that there is not any water vapor in it, since air from a typical shop compressor has a significant amount of water, unless you fill your tires up in a paint booth or somewhere that has a desiccant or refrigerated dryer in their system. Water vapor is the main thing that affects your tires' pressure.

To really get as close to pure nitrogen in your tires, they need to filled with nitrogen, deflated, and refilled a couple times.

23. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I just pulled my cracked and wore out summer tires out from under the tarp where they were stored for the winter!!!! they hadn't lost any pressure!!!! wow, I didn't know people where so gullible!!!!

I thought I'd give the !!!'s a try. any better?

24. ofspunk7

Well I am glad to see that people are so motivated about this subject. The good news is that $10 per year is not really enough money for anyone to care about what goes in who's tires.... How many people on this forum have spent that much on stickers for their cars? that are no longer on the car? I can see both sides of the argument, but the good news is that the Nitrogen Conspiracy is still going to get my money until i have to buy new tires (which is only a curb away).

25. jmyhre05

last i heard california is requiring it in all of there vehicles and Europe has been using it for years and you can access is at any gas station over there.. and its eligal for planes and air crafts to take off without it for safety reasons and has been for years.... so its up to you , there are a lot of places that will say this and that but i guess theres no convincing some people... and yeah if you check your pressure regularly then there are less benefits to it for you...

here is the system we use and the website, theres some info on there i also have pamflets at work http://www.purigen98.com/ but meh it aint my job to sell it to you guys ide just think that if its beginning to be required by law its gotta be atleast part way factual if not all the way....

26. zyklon

zyklon Well-Known Member

Yah, but I'm saying, that TruCoat, you don't get it, you get oxidation problems...
    [​IMG]

27. DougAnd

DougAnd Well-Known Member

Never look to law for facts. Law is enforced opinion.

28. carl

carl Well-Known Member

exactly. anything can be made into a law regardless of fact as long as you have enough people that can agree on it. People are inherently stupid, thus, stupid laws.

also, when was the last time you took your car to 20,000 + ft? tinfoil hat time

29. john

john Well-Known Member

What does it cost to fill tires with nitrogen?

30. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

I actually watched a Chem professor from the U of M rip apart one of my service writers about the Nitrogen in the tires thing a few months ago. It was amazing.

I'm not sure where I stand on the subject. I think its similar to SeaFoam. There are people who say "Gasoline already has cleaners in it, you don't need it"

31. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

32. readymix

After living in California and dealing with the CARB, I'll tell you right now that if you care about your car at all you'll ignore anything California says about cars. MTBE was their idea.

ALSO, the word is PAMPHLETS. FFS, use a goddamned spell checker. Nobody takes you seriously when you type like you have down's syndrome.

33. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

34. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

You're ignoring the fact that California lawmakers are blooming idiots and don't create legislation based on logic, evidence, or common sense.

Seriously, California should be used as an example of what NOT to do.

35. bora28

bora28 New Member

This is getting stupid. Nitrogen has a SLIGNT advantage in tires. More so if ur tires are heat cycled a lot (like when on a track car). Its used in airplane tires cus they go through extreme altiitude and temperature changes. The molecule size thing is BS, a tire leak is a tire leak, the size of the molecule of the gas in ur tires is not going to make a difference if ur tire leaks or not. The moisture thing is only valid cus when u get nitrogen put in ur tires its from a tank that should be completely dry, and air usually comes from a mechanical compressor that can house moisture if the compressor doesnt have a working water trap. If u fill up at gas stations a lot moisture could possible be a problem, but any working auto shop will have water separators so the mechanics dont have air tool problems...

IMO I think that nitrogen is pretty pointless for the everyday driver, and I dont think the everyday driver should preach about its benefits like Obama Jr.
    Again this is just my $.02, but I do install tens of thousands of tires a year, so I believe my opinions are somewhat valid...

36. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

My $.02......

Nitrogen is not BS. Charging for nitrogen is BS. At Motorwerks(not a plug, my daily grind) we fill all tires with nitrogen. It does not cost the customers anything and most customers do not know that we have filled their tires with nitrogen.

Charging for nitrogen is a sales gimmick and is usually for the purpose of getting fresh meat into the shop.

37. bora28

bora28 New Member

OMG!!!!!
    Theres no supporting proof there, but if Motorwerks does it, then Im convinced!!!
    Hey everybody, if u want nitrogen in ur tires go to Motorwerks, ITS FREE!!!

38. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

It IS good for TPMS systems as there isn't (as much) fluctuation when temps drop.

What I don't understand tho is that since tire pressures are set "COLD" that means that tires are meant to be run "overinflated." So once you put nitro in a car, aren't you supposed to put an extra 5 lbs in it?

39. TSTRBOY2004

and even at that it is only around 90-92%...

40. TSTRBOY2004

and this is passed by the same governmental idiots that are mandating 36+mpg asap.. it is because someone had a bug up their ass and thought they could get a name for themselves because they got a bill through... it doesnt matter how much sense it makes, just that it got through and their name is on it...

ever watch the show Undercover Boss?? You know where they go into the real world and see what they mandate from the top doesnt always/usually work in reality... YEP sums up most political decisions...

41. jmyhre05

yeah everyone has all different opinions on a subject where theres so much different information from positives to negatives... my opinion is its a positive, not as much like i said if you check your tires regularly... but can be beneficial to some people more then others, and with a tire leak thats a whole different matter.. but the facts about what happens when your tires are low are not opinions and nitrogen makes it so you dont have to check them as often are facts, so charging someone 19.99-39.99 for 98 percent nitrogen can be beneficial if they have newer tires and they don't check there tires that often that way they don't have faster tread wear... but its all up to you guys on what you do i think the thing we can all learn from this discussion is to CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE REGULARLY! haha end of story say and believe what you want

42. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I keep my tires filled with lead shot. Sure, it's a cast iron pain to get up to speed but once I get there I can coast like nothing else. Also, if I ever get stranded in the wilderness I can use them as ammo for my slingshot to kill game with. It's a bit noisy on the road, but I never have to worry about a flat either.

I find it's also 100 percent resistant to temperature changes.

43. Mr. Derek

Mr. Derek Well-Known Member

Lets just go without a fluid filled tire all together then we wouldn't need this discussion.

[YOUTUBE]fqRJ9GfIJtI[/YOUTUBE]

44. TSTRBOY2004

^^ thats so 3-4yrs ago or more ;)

45. stoooo

stoooo Well-Known Member

Now that's comedy. I've lived in four different European countries, visited another half dozen, and have yet to see a petrol station with a nitrogen pump.

Nitrogen is the right choice for aeroplanes and race car tyres. The rest of us should carry on checking our tyre pressures once a month, and making adjustments accordingly. Oh, and invest in a decent tyre pressure gauge; those crappy little stick ones are rubbish.

Stuart.