Where to get rotors turned?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by turbo_turtle, Sep 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle Well-Known Member

Hey guys... I'm a bit new in town, also my first post ;)

So I'm in Bloomington... Where do I take my rotors to get resurfaced? I've had bad luck with Checkers so I was hoping to find some alternatives.

Also, has anyone tried Diversified Cryogenics? Website: http://www.frozenrotors.com I am considering purchasing cryo-treated rotors as a replacement for my '02 WRX if my rotors are too thin.

Thanks for your help!
    ~Dan

2. morganm

morganm New Member

Does anyone even do this anymore? Last time I tried to have rotors turned/resurfced everyone told me to bugger off. Went to 4 different places and they all said No.

3. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Napa, on Hwy 13 in Burnsville (near Prokart) does them. I had a set turned last fall. As for Diversified.... I run them on my DSP '00 2.5RS for AutoX and track days, can't say how long they last (new this spring), but they are good so far. They have quite a few good things said about them on their website, too.

Anyway, if the car is street driven only, try to get them turned, otherwise, Diversified is a good choice.

4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

huh, nate was turning a set of rotors (or maybe a pair, I don't remember) at the meineke meet this summer....

5. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

yes, i believe nate can turn rotors, his shop is in shakopee.

6. morganm

morganm New Member

Glad to hear some shops still do it. Guess they just want to sell new rotors in Apple Valley instead of turning them for you :p

7. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Deversified is a good place. Just talk to Mark and let him know you are part of mnsubaru. I usually do a group buy every spring for rotors and pads.

Russ

8. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

Yes we DO turn rotors as it is more cost effective for the customer... because I believe that is what a business hsould be.. FAIR... but anyways... as long as they ARE within spec we will turn them.... runs $14.99 ea (+s/s, tax)then you will get a 10% discount off of that... if we have to pull them off the car...

If you walk in I could do them for like $9.99ea (+ s/s & tax etc) then your 10% off...

9. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

i had mine old stockers turned...and they were still crappy. could have just been the place.

10. turbo_turtle

Wow! Thanks for the offer! I'll pass because I already got 'em turned today... but thanks!

So I wanted to push my luck again, so I tried a different Checkers... worst idea ever! I talked to them the day before and asked one of the guys if he could turn slotted rotors, "Sure, bring them in." Brought them in, "What are these?" "Slotted combo drum and rotors." " I have never seen slotted rotors before!" "Can you turn em?" "uhhh..." 10 minutes later still fiddling with the calipers not knowing what they are doing, I just walked out. Even the guy I had talked to the day before denied me service and told me to go to Red Rooster. Took em there and they knew exatly what they were doing! They were happy to see I wire-brushed out the slots and so they hooked me up with free bead blasting on the wheel mating surface! $12 a pop and only 1 hour for the job... Great service there, I will go back. They had a full machine shop with real machine techs. They had the tools to get 'em turned without messing up thier milling bit over the slots.

Only one problem left... I got home to discover that my rear pads wore down at the same rate as the front pads. Bias problem? Maybe... I'm not locking up the rears so I think it's the pads themselves. They are Axxis Ultimates, which are extremely oblative... my wheel get black after a week of driving! So tomorrow will be a quest to find a rear set of Hawk HPS.

Thanks for everyone's feedback here, it is well appreciated! :)
    ~Dan

11. turbo_turtle

Ditto. I now have slotted rears and cryo-treats in the front. Problem with getting old ones turned is that you shave off enough iron that there is not enough left on the rotor to absorb the thermal energy. So they get warped much quick with less mass (less heat capacitance).

Cheers!
    ~Dan

EDIT: Time for an avatar!

12. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

if your car has abs all round it is not a bias problem.. it means they are braking equally the way it was designed too...

13. 1SIKWRX

1SIKWRX New Member

RedRooster did mines. ****in perfect! When I had my stage 4..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.