Where to get rotors turned?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by mctenold, Dec 14, 2018.

1. mctenold

mctenold Well-Known Member

Any recs for getting my rotors turned in the metro? Ideally south east metro area, Cottage Grove, Hastings, Woodbury, etc.

2. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Napa, tiresplus, discount tire, etc...

3. mctenold

I'll check those. I called the usual suspects in my neck of the woods (Auto Zone and Oreilly's) and they both said that they don't do that anymore and no one really turns rotors anymore. I don't think I've ever had rotors turned so I just assumed that they were right.

4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

If you don't have any symptoms to correct and the surface is not excessively grooved, and you are just replacing worn pads, there is no reason to turn the rotors. If they still have enough thickness (check with a micrometer), just install new pads and shims/springs/etc, lube what needs to be lubed and call it good.

5. mctenold

I got some JDM 4/2 pots from a guy in the UK. I've rebuilt the calipers, about to install them. He shipped matching rotors too (drilled and slotted), which could be as old as 2001. I've visually inspected them but I figured since everything is off the car and I've rebuilt the calipers (sandblasted, powdercoated, new hardware, new pads), I might as well get the rotors turned and have everything basically new.

6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Pretty sure that you cannot turn slotted and drilled rotors. Only solid blanks.

7. mctenold

8. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member