Where to look at wheels in Metro area?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by 2012WRX, Nov 10, 2012.

1. 2012WRX

2012WRX Active Member

Where is a decent place with a large selection of wheels to look at in the Metro area?

I am looking for some nice wheels under $145 each to use for winter wheels. My car is a 2012 Dark Gray Metallic so I'm thinking Anthracite, Gunmetal, or a dark Charcoal will work best.

Discount tire doesn't have that great of a selection in stock...

2. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

No offense, but for that price you will be very limited, I mean VERY limited. You may be better off hitting up the FS thread or CL.

3. 2012WRX

2012WRX Active Member

Discount Tire and Tire Rack have a ton of options in that price range, but it would be nice to see some options in person...

I have an 18" Moda from Tire Rack at home now, but thinking the color of machined lip and light grey doesn't go we'll with the Dark Grey Metallic. That wheel is only $99

4. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

There are no wheel shops in the Twin Cities that I'm aware of. You are pretty much stuck with what Discount Tire has in stock.

5. drunknmunky81

drunknmunky81 Well-Known Member

Think there is a TireProz or something in Stillwater off of hwy 36

6. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Their selection is no better than discount tire. Cheezy flashy crap.

Tirerack is your best bet, really. Or just get some steelies for your snow tires.

readymix likes this.
  7. readymix

Yep. And that's going to be the case for most places you come across. Cheap, chrome "rims" sell like hotcakes. That is what they will stock.

8. 2012WRX

2012WRX Active Member

I'm going to go with the MODA Md14's from Tire Rack discounted at $99. They are 18" - no issue fitting those on the WRX is there?

9. readymix

Depends on width, offset and tire size.

10. jcn

jcn Active Member

17" snow tires are going to be cheaper and resist potholes better. Price out wheels + tires together.

retreif and tangledupinblu like this.
  11. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Why would you want to go with 18 inch wheels for winter? Go find a set of 16 inch WRX takeoffs or steel wheels. You want as much sidewall as you can get and you can run narrower tires with a smaller rim for better winter traction. Also, 16in snow tires are a whole lot cheaper than 18s and will hold up better. You could also go with aftermarket 16s if you're not wanting to go with OEM takeoffs. For your price range, you can probably find something that'll work.

For winter wheels, they're going to get exposed to all the chemicals on the roads, not to mention flying snow/ice and sand. Better to go cheaper on those and save the money on better summer tires/rims. With winter stuff, smaller and narrower beats bigger and wider. That works for both tires and wheels.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    KA-T_240 and tangledupinblu like this.
  12. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

^ I was going to say the same thing! I can't imagine that an 18" would work too well in the snow and ice. Might as well leave what you have already on there on there for the winter. lol

13. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Agreed with above. 18" winter wheels is ridiculous. For a WRX you can fit 16's. I wouldn't go any larger than 17's. If you look at tire prices you'll see that the bigger you go, the more expensive they get (by a lot).

Since it appears you're quite cheap, I would look for steelies or some used OEM wheels. If you must buy new, for under $150 each, I think the Sparco Assetto's look awesome:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lse&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

14. Starkall

Starkall Active Member

I put some nankang sv1 snow tires on my factory 18 bbs wheels. So far I'm pretty impressed. Drove in the snow this morning. We got about an inch here.

15. Starkall

Starkall Active Member

And they were only 500 for all 4