Which would you rather...? (snow tire question)

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by predavore, Jul 19, 2016.

1. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Would you rather drive around on Blizzaks WS-60 with 6/32nds or ICE-X with 10/32nds and why?

Blizzaks seem softer which would lead me to believe they'd be better in cold weather. ICE-X has more tread and siping... maybe have better grip on ice...?

I've always been impressed with the Blizzaks, even this last winter. They seem very stable and I'm confident on them in the winter. But I now have both sets of tires. I can swap or not... Which would tires would you put on the car your kids ride in during the winter?

Thanks

2. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

It's going to be 100F degrees this week and there is snow tire talk! Love it. I take 10/32 all day long. I want as much water shedding ability as possible and the tire compound can't be all that different, can it?

Ryan FailRad, Nhibbs, drac77 and 2 others like this.
  3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

^i'm with him(on this).

Nhibbs likes this.
  4. predavore

The gaps are wider on the Blizzaks... So water/snow shedding might be better on the more worn Blizzaks.

And.... Winter FTW! 100+ sucks

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

These hoes ain't loyal

6. predavore

So if the answer is actually the ICE-X with 10/32, then the Blizzaks will end up on my winter bitch... the 01 Forester. I'm fine with that. I just want to know it's worth the effort to swap (and buy wheels).

7. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

<shameless plug> I'm going to have some Blizzak WS-80s on 16" black steelies for sale pretty soon. I was waiting for fall to post them, but if you're interested... They have two seasons on them, with plenty of tread left. PM me for more info. :thumbup: </shameless plug>

8. predavore

I have 4 sets of snow tires for 3 cars already. :) But thanks.

9. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

You should start a collection. I have some Altimax arctics with like 10/32nds on stock 17" 2007 wrx wheels that I don't need anymore... You should buy them lolol

10. predavore

What size tire? and how much? :)

11. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Not really sure, if ur interested I can try to get you some pics of them and verify the tread depth. I moved down to atlanta but the wheels/tires are at my parents house up there in MN.

12. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I consider Blizzaks and X-Ices to be pretty comparable tires from new. So other considerations aside (cost, size, etc.), Michelins for sure.

predavore likes this.
  13. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

You beat me. I've got 3 for 2. All Blizzaks tho.

14. predavore

I will be needing a set of 17 inch rims for the Blizzaks (for the 01 Forester) before too long.

15. predavore

I have two sets that fit WRX (Nitto and Blizzak) and two that fit Forester (Blizzak and Ice-X).

I'll be selling the Nitto and going with Blizzak on the WRX. The wife's Forester gets the Ice-X and I'll put the used Blizzaks from her car on my Forester.

16. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

I assume you mean X-Ice? At that depth the WS60's are barely blizzaks anymore. Romp on them on a rallycross or something. The compounds ARE that different between a Blizzak and an end of life Blizzak.

I've run both Blizzaks and Xi3's, currently on Xi3's for my winter setup, I'd take a new set of WS60's over just about anything, but the Xi3's are better after the blizzaks have some wear on them.

17. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Aren't blizzaks still two compounds? Once you're through that initial wear they're basically ****ty all-seasons

Deathly likes this.
  18. predavore

Ok.... another what would you prefer. Blizzaks at 6/32nds or brand new Continental DWS06?

19. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

Dws

20. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

I got brand new ws80 this last winter season and hated them because they were too much grip when I wanted less.. They should be good for the Baja this year though, can't imagine being able to do too much fun stuff with the turd anyway..

21. predavore

Since I just put those on today, that might be the best option. Won't have to buy another set of rims for the Blizzaks.

22. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

What gen X-Ice? The Xi2 is reasonable but has some faults. The Xi3 fixes the faults and is a great all-around tire. I prefer Continental's Extreme Winter Contact slightly, but now that's be replaced with a new generation model that I'm not familiar with.

The Bilizzaks are generally a specialized purpose tire in that they trade off a number of skills for high ice performance. They tend to be less nice in dry weather with lower performance limits for a lot of what you drive on most winter. Their snow and ice performance also don't make up the gap versus the other top contenders which are a better all-around tire. The Xi3 has beat out both newer generations of the Blizzak's, the WS70 and WS80 on Tire Rack's testing. The New Continental WinterContact Si is right on par with the WS80 on ice performance, i.e. the best ice tire on the market. The Extreme Winter Contact was the best snow and ice performer out there out pacing both Bridgestone and Michelin in snow performance. The Xi3 is only slightly better overall due to good dry road performance.

The Xi3 is arguably the best all use winter tire available right now. The Si and WS80 are the best ice. The Extreme Winter Contact is still likely the best snow tire, if you can find a set (Tire Rack hasn't done any snow tests on the Si nor actually compared directly to the outgoing Extreme Winter Contact).

If you can forgo ice performance and some snow performance, some of the performance winter tires will provide rather good dry road handling, much more akin to a good all-season or even sport all-season with beefed up sidewalls. The compound is generally a lot more like an all-season too which unfortunately moderately degrades ice performance.

Personally I've driven on the original X-Ice(very slightly) Xi2, Xi3, ExtremeWinterContact, WS50, WS60 (very slightly), Nokian WR, LM25, Wintersport M3, Winterforce, and Dunlop SJ5. Interestingly I've driven most of these in rallycross too. My personal favorite is the ExtremeWinterContact. There is almost nothing to fault on them. I view the Xi3 at the same level, but the Xi3 offers slightly better road manners (Michelin generally seems to focus towards dry weather handling and firmer sideways). Until I can try out a set of the new Si model, I feel the Extreme Winter Contact and the Xi3 are your kings for winter plus the 95% of dry road driving you'll actually do most winter...and fall...and spring. Unfortunately the ExtremeWintercontact is phased out, so you're kind of down to 1 until I start seeing reviews for the new Si that match or beat the Xi3. What little I find isn't promising. I'm almost thinking the outgoing ExtremeWinterContact may be the better tire. One I haven't discussed, the Hakkapeliitta R2, is one that should be seriously considered. It's just one I haven't run either, so I can't really comment. Reviews have been great though, so...seriously consider.

Now if you're looking at a set of Xi2 tires, they're pretty good. They're a little better going in a straight line than they are turning. Their traction circle is slightly oval shaped, and you can tell they focused a little harder on straight line braking performance. The result is you'll slide sideways a hair more than you think you should. I think dry road performance on the Xi3 is also a step better, but the Xi2 isn't bad at all.

23. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

For a security guard he had an awful lot of information...

24. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

One word GeneralAltimaxArctic. Cheap, great in snow and ice, terribly squirmy on dry haha. Great for dedicated winter tire.