Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Flipndabrd, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Flipndabrd

Flipndabrd Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting this set of sway bars for my 06 Forester:

http://www.suspension.com/bsk003

It seems to come with everything. Anyone running this or have experience installing it? I'm thinking the 22 because I don't need a super stiff ride, just want to make it corner a little better.

Opening this up for discussion.

2. LASERBLUE135

LASERBLUE135 Well-Known Member

You will really appreciate the stiffer bars. It will make a huge difference. I've had many WRX without and a few with bigger bars and the difference is absolutely noticeable. Installation can possibly be a pain (I've heard stories, read about problems on the interwebs), but I've never installed myself so I can't help you there.

3. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

There is tons of information out there on sway bars...do some googling and you will find a plethora.

Although it is usually best to tune your handling with spring rate first, and then sway bars, it sounds like you just want some slightly better handling without a stiff ride. For that purpose, upgraded sway bars are best. 22mm front and rear is good, don't go any bigger.

If you really want to tune up your suspension, learn to drive first, and then we can talk upgrading suspension the right way :thumbup: But for just the casual DD and wanting a bit better handling, sway bars aren't a bad choice.

Install is pretty easy, assuming everything isn't completely rusted (if so, soaking the nuts in PB blaster for at least 15 minutes will help. Worst case....hack saw). Again, search for a DIY on installing sway bars, and you will find many. Quick note, it is easiest to install sway bars with weight on the suspension - which means using ramps is normally easiest. If on jack stands, you can always jack up a wheel/hub to make it easier to connect the sway bar.

Finally, those are the adjustable style endlinks. Read up on how to properly adjust the sway bar preload by adjusting the endlinks. It must be done with weight on the tires, and it is pretty easy. I used to not understand adjustable endlinks, but once I read up on them and figured out how to use/adjust them properly, I would almost always recommend adjustable endlinks (esp for lowered vehicles). If yours is stock height, you could use non-adjustable aftermarket endlinks or stock endlinks (although they may not hold up very well).

4. Flipndabrd

Great replies. Thanks.

5. Flipndabrd

So I bought the kit and installed it last weekend. I ran into some issues with the fitment due to my car being lowered. I'm not as low as the WRX takeoff guys, but the forester specific bar can't be set to the soft setting without the risk of it hitting the lateral support bracket included in the kit. I opened some FB discussions on this and the consensus is that the rear brackets for the forester sit two low causing the geometry to be off. I'm ordering some STI brackets and will pick them up today. If this doesn't work, I'm going to go a different direction and just try to get an STI Pink bar. Apparently these seem to work with lowered Foresters.

Bummed I spent close to $500 bucks on a kit that doesn't fit right.

6. Flipndabrd

I should say, I installed the rear. I didn't try the front yet.