Who is a good body shop in Rochester? Hit and run last night at Gilligan's

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by sjwelna, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjwelna

sjwelna Well-Known Member

Needless to say, I'm F***ING PISSED. Some bastard hit the back end of my forester last night right in the rear quarter panel on the driver's side. The tail light has some small but significant cracks/broken lens and the metal right above the bumper cover is significantly dented. It's not creased from what I can see, but it will definitely need to be reworked in addition to my bumper cover getting repainted. If anyone knows someone who was driving some kind of red car and was at Gilligan's last night between the hours of 10:30pm - 12:30 am and has a big black scuff on their car let me know!

Who does good body work in Rochester? I'll need an estimate, I'm sure it will be in the 1500 dollar range at least.

-Steve

2. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

Steve-in-Minnesota always had good luck with Abra. Nabil (beeloo) also had to get some work done a while back.

edit: that sucks btw. welcome to rochester, someday I'll show you my collection of door dings and fender rubs...

3. sjwelna

I don't think it will need much if any bondo if the shop is good. The metal isn't creased bad anywhere but it's just kinda bent up a bit. There is a 1/4-1/2" gap between the rear bumper cover and the rear quarter panel. It just makes me mad that people do this kinda stuff. Probably some dumb drunk trying to find their way home by braille with their car...

-Steve

4. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

My buddie from work says there isn't any. He's from Rochester. Your screwed.

5. nm+

nm+ Professional Hypocrite

Come to the cities, then drive 20-30 miles west to Rockford for Autoworks collision.
    Worth the drive, maybe? They do amazing work (better than OEM).
    you don't really love your car if you're not willing to drive 120mi to fix it ;)
    (And I would if ABRA was the alternative)

6. sjwelna

Yeah, my family hasn't had good luck with body shops in rochester in the past, I may end up having to drive it to the cities..... Ugh... This pisses me off.

-Steve

7. sjwelna

Pics:

8. manochromatic

manochromatic Member

abra or domaille...lil bobs is a freakin joke and a half. abra is slightly cheaper than domaille but domaille does superior work. rexarew had some work done at abra and she has lots of picks of the process they used cause her friend works there so if you ask her im sure shell post up the pics for you....oh and i saw you drive by my shop! :cool:

but seriously if you guys could see what rexarews car looked like before and after the **** talking would sieze..

9. manochromatic

manochromatic Member

abra auto body pics

10. sjwelna

Isn't Domaille out of business? If you saw me earlier today downtown I was on the war path trying to get back to the parking lot so I could try to find the *** who tagged my car.

-Steve

11. manochromatic

manochromatic Member

yeah you looked pissed.

the dealership is out of buisness but the bodyshop is still goin.

12. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

Yep, he sold the car dealership but retains the body shop. I can't say I've used many body shops in town, so I can't really comment on work.

I can't stand people who won't man up to their own actions, ****ing ******s.

13. Rexarew

Rexarew Subie Girl

If you wanna meet up some place today I can let you see my car. Abra did a great job. In the pic it didn't look that bad of a bump but it was fricked up. They ended up doing the whole back half of my car. I would suggest going there because I've had good luck with them in the past.
    Otherwise there is Universal Marine and Rv. A few years ago somebody rear-ended my old car and they fixed it up. They also do a good job. But I would go to Abra first.

14. tux121

tux121 Well-Known Member

Ouch! Sorry to hear that man. I had white paint from an Audi A4 on my front bumber. I took it off using some Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound. Took it right off along with the clear coat:( but I didn't have a dent though. Go through insurance?

15. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

Abra or Domaille would be good choices.

By the way, welcome to Rochester. Get used to this stuff :roll:

16. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Yikes, I'd be furious as well. Thats a pretty nasty crunch. That's definately gonna need some filler. Lots of pounding and filler. The metal gets stretched when that happens and there's not much one can do short of cutting it out and welding in a panel. The worst part is that factory crease down the side and getting that to match. Also, a fair amount ofthe car will probably have to be blended.

17. sjwelna

I have an appointment for an estimate at Abra on thursday, so we'll see what they say. From someone on the Forester forum who got tagged in the exact same spot, it was a 2200-2500 dollar estimate. I will drive extra distance to have the car repaired by someone who is NOT going to cut/weld the car. I will avoid that type of repair at all costs. This will obviously be getting submitted to the insurance company so I really don't care what it costs to repair, so long as the job done is exceptional. Full coverage FTW.

-Steve

18. tmarc12366009

tmarc12366009 Well-Known Member

^^ ABRA bump!

I have had two instances when I have used their work, one time with over $3,000 in hail damage :mad:... Second time when I tried to take on the ditch to avoid hitting a deer which caused some minor front end damage... Both times they did excellent work, and have little to no evidence of the repairs!

Good luck!

P.S. All hit-and-run fools need to get severely donkey punched!

19. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

How is cutting and welding so bad? They are going to have to do some serious pounding and possibly heating to get it back to something they can use filler on. Either way you are going to loose the galvanising on the metal. Don't worry about it. If they use a good self-etching primer, it won't rust anytime soon. I made my lower radiator support out of 1" mild steel box tubing and used said primer, and it hasn't rusted in two winters. That thing gets pounded my more salt/sand/rocks than anywhere else on the car.

Anyways, I wish you luck with the estimate.

20. xxtraloud

xxtraloud New Member

that sux. are you gonna get any money from your insurance?

21. SomethingsWrong

SomethingsWrong Well-Known Member

Bad deal man. I have always been told to go to Abra or Domaille. Hope I dont have to find out someday.

Also, i say we camp out @ Gilligans every weekend until pricks car returns.

22. Natural2JZ

Natural2JZ Well-Known Member

wow that sucks man.. atleast didnt go and hit the tire/rim.. gl with repair

23. sjwelna

I'd so much have rather they plowed the front end instead of the back quarter like they did. A headlight/fender/hood/bumper cover are SO much easier to replair/replace than this spot. Of all the place on the car the drunk had to have the best aim for this..... I'm still royally pissed off, but I have the manager of Gilligan's trying to look into the security tapes to see if he can see anything in terms of the car either coming/going and tagging my car. I doubt it will be worth anything though, even if I tried to press charges it wouldn't hold up in court cause I can't prove who was driving. If I can just get a license plate number maybe I can pay this guy a visit baseball bat style...... to his car of course. :laugh:

-Steve

24. xxtraloud

xxtraloud New Member

again, don't you have a comprehensive?

25. sjwelna

Yes, I have full coverage auto insurance so this will be going straight to a claims department after I get an estimate. If I find the car/person who was at the bar that night I will file a hit and run report, and attempt to pull any credit card activity from the bar if at all possible to verify that it WAS in fact the person who hit my car. We shall see, though I highly doubt nothing beyond me just getting the car repaired will happen.

-Steve

26. xxtraloud

xxtraloud New Member

I think you should proceed and do everything ASAP. the more time goes by the less chances you have and the less motivation and angry will push you. guaranteed. he could have paid cash though. Just go back there in a week the same day. good luck

27. sjwelna

Estimate = $2054 from Abra and they would do it without cutting/welding in new sheetmetal. Time to call the insurance company.

-Steve

28. sjwelna

Well I got the car back, it looks good. There are only a couple very small areas right around the window where they backtaped it (instead of pulling the whole glass out) and right above the tail underneath the back hatch where the finish is very slightly rough, you have to get close to see it though so I'm not worrying about it. Overall I'd say 9.5 out of 10 for the repairs. I'm not sure what they used to wash the car with though because I can clearly see some very light clear coat scratches that weren't there when I dropped it off. More swirlmarks than anything though, it IS a black car afterall. I have to wait 30 days before I can use any paint sealer on it so the paint can fully cure after they baked it at 130*. There's some compound powder under in a few spots too but overall it looks good. Nothing a quick detailing won't get rid of. Plus they washed my floor mats too! Glad to have the car back and on the road again.

-Steve

29. 1_sic_rex

1_sic_rex Well-Known Member

^^^ hate to say it but the detail guy at ABRA is a F-in gomer!!!! Take it to like whitewing or just buff it your self, most of that will come out. They do great work but their detail guys needs to be fired.

30. sjwelna

I'm thinking a couple of the spots will buff out, and a couple will not. There was some compound in some cracks and a few spots of it here or there, but nothing major. There was however a bunch of compound powder underneath the spare tire cover on all of my stuff (spare/jack/stuff in spare tire) that I will most likely vacuum up, along with it being on the rear door cards and stuff. Like I said overall the finish is pretty good and I'm happy to have my car back. There are a few spots where it isn't 100% perfect but oh well, you have to get close to see them.

-Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.