Who wants to blast some paper? AKA Another MNSubaru shooting day!

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by ShortytheFirefighter, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Alright, judging from the other thread and from a few recent purchases made by a number of us I'd say it's time for another range day.

I'm proposing we meet February 28th at Bills Gun Shop at 9am so we can make sure we get a few lanes and spend a few hours turning paper into paper with a lot of holes in it. I'm scheduling this far enough out that we can all put it on our calendars and plan for it. We've had decent turnout for a couple of these and it's been a lot of fun for all involved.

If you would like to come but don't have a gun and/or you've never been around guns that's ok. There are plenty of us who can help a first timer out at the range, and it's a lot less pressure when you're with friends and learning. Those of us who've shown up in the past have had everything from .22LR pistols up through large bore rifles and shotguns.

You can rent guns at Bills, they're 15 for the first one and 10 for the second. You'll have to buy ammo for them there if you're using a range gun. Depending on the gun, 12-20 bucks for a box of 50 rounds (roughly). If we go 3 to a lane, it'll be 10 bucks per person. If you'd like to use someone elses gun, it shouldn't be a problem but it's polite to buy some ammo to use and to ask beforehand.

Hope to see a bunch of you there!

Who's coming and what they're bringing:
    Me +1: Kimber TLE II in .45ACP, Kimber Rimfire Target in .22LR, Sig Sauer P229 in .357SIG, Bushmaster .450 (if there is any interest, if so ammo is up to you), Remington 870 Police Magnum (12 ga), Ruger 10/22 .22LR
    Dynapar: Springfield Armory XDM in .40S&W, Springfield Armory M1A .308 (PM Martin if interested, otherwise the M1A will be staying home)
    T-REX500: XD subcompact 3" in 9mm, Ruger LCP .380, Mossberg 590 Mariner 12g
    BadBennyB + 2: Springfield Armory XDM in .40S&W, S&W .357 Magnum revolver
    TwoFiveRS: himself
    Ryan: himself and assorted guns
    Driftin240: himself and assorted guns, including a new XDM

2. carl

carl Well-Known Member

ice race...

3. ShortytheFirefighter

Good call. Fixed the OP for the 28th.

4. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I'll check my schedule, I really want to come out and shoot a few rounds before purchasing a hand gun as well as get some pointers from the experts.

5. ShortytheFirefighter

It'd be great to get you out there. I'll make you a trade, you give me some driving pointers and I'll get you squared away on the range ;)

6. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I want to go, maybe I should snatch up that Mossberg before the 28th since it appears I don't need a permit for that.

7. ShortytheFirefighter

8. Grayguy

Grayguy Well-Known Member

If I wasn't all the way in duluth, I'd love to come shoot, I've been meaning to go out back and do some targets, but it's way to damn cold out

9. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

I'm definately interested. I should have something to shoot in the next day or two. I am also new to the range thing as all my shooting has been limited to "up north".

10. EBR15

EBR15 Well-Known Member

I'm in. Since I still don't know any of you, how can I avoid what happened last time and actually find you guys? :laugh: I have a few 9's that you can try out if anyone is interested.

11. ShortytheFirefighter

We usually try to meet right at or just before nine down in the lower level parking garage. In past shoots we've had anywhere from 3-10 people show up, and I'd like to see if we can break that number this time around.

Afterwards, we'll probably do lunch at Broadway Pizza or something along those lines.

12. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

The 28th is also listed as the day of the scavenger hunt (if that still happens).

Russ

13. twofiveRS

twofiveRS Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed it but isn't there more than one location of Bill's Guns? Which one?

Also I'd like to try out a Springfield armory xd and/or xdm and a glock 17 and/or 19. If anyone has one I could shoot vs having to rent one I could purchase the ammo or your choice (within reason).

14. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

From what I have gathered this is true but there are some exceptions. Apparently for some "black" guns you need a permit. I dont quite get it, as IIRC in the law it says you only need a permit for a handgun, but it seems like most gun shops wont sell certain rifles (ie curved magazines, and some other things) to non permit holders. There are some ways around it... instead of getting an AR in .223 with a 30rnd mag, get it in .308 with a 20rnd mag :)

Also we normally park in the underground lot. if you park there we are more likely to notice your car.

15. ShortytheFirefighter

Martin has the XDM in .40 and Brian P has one in 9mm. I'm not sure if we have any Glock owners, which surprises me.

16. ShortytheFirefighter

I know, but I'm a bit limited on dates. The 7th is too soon, the 14th could get some of us shot by our S/O and the 21st is the ice races. I don't want to set this up too far out, either so I figured the 28th would work best. We'll see, if I have to look at the first weekend in March instead it's a possibility.

17. twofiveRS

Which location?

18. ShortytheFirefighter

Robbinsdale. That gives us the most flexibility as far as what we can shoot and it's closest to most of us.

19. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

He said snatch :laugh:

Ok, enough potty humor. There's a good chance i'm in, if I remember this time. :roll: Might have to bring some of the father-in-laws toys.. if he lets me.

20. ShortytheFirefighter

You'll remember, even if I have to kick in your door on my way there. I know where you live ;)

21. Musashi

This is awsome, its about time, I've been making the same offer but no takers, I guess people don't take me serious or I'm just no good. LOL Anyway I wanted to make it a point to make sure this does not go un-noticed as I am one who really do appreciate it a lot when someone is willing to take time out of their busy schedule to show me a few things. If it's on the 28th of Feb, I'll take time away from work. And I'd be honored to show you a few things, it will be a lot of fun.

Thanks again,

Cheech :yumyum:

22. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

I should be up for this, as I need to get out and shoot the new toy. Might go before this date just to get more familiar with the 9mm, but I should be up for this event!

23. ShortytheFirefighter

I'll start you out on the .22 just to get the basics down but we should be able to move you up pretty quickly. If you want to get together at some point just to go over the basic mechanics and controls before we go that'd be fine, we can definitely set up a time to meet and go over various function checks and controls that way by the time we hit the range all you need to do is sight, acquire and fire.

24. Dynapar

I will be bringing the XDm in .40. I will most likely not bring the M1A for a couple reasons, mainly ammo is expensive and that at Bill's my gun flings the brass in front of the firing line so I cannot retrieve it to reload.

If anyone wants to shoot the M1A let me know and I will bring it but be prepared to buy your own ammo for it.

25. ShortytheFirefighter

What's a box of 7.62 running these days?

26. Dynapar

^ .308Win or 7.62x51 runs about $0.60 a shot on the cheap side. so about $12-$13 for a box of 20. if you are going to pick some up make sure its under 180gr. the heavy stuff puts extra stress on the gas system. I have found that the 150gr federal power points (cheapest stuff at wall mart ;-) ) feeds the best as well.

27. ShortytheFirefighter

Alright, I'd like to start updating the OP with a list of who is going and what they'll be bringing. Post up and let me know or shoot me a PM. Thanks!

28. Dynapar

I am in. I will bring the XDm in .40. I can bring the M1A if people are interested.

29. twofiveRS

I'd like to show up, I probably won't be bringing anything but I'll either rent or hopefully some of you may be nice enough to let me try something new out. I should also probably mention that while I've shot plenty of guns before(what can I saw, I grew up in the country) I have never been to the range. so this will be a new experience for me. I did look up the rules though on bill's site. Guns and new friends, sounds like a winning combination to me.

30. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

^^^The range thing is new to me as well but it sounds like we are in good hands so it should be fun. I'm planning on making it out and will bring my new xdm .40 and will also bring my wifes S&W 357MAG/.38 revolver.

31. T-REX5000

T-REX5000 Well-Known Member

I will be there with

- XD subcompact 3" in 9mm
    - Ruger LCP .380
    - Mossberg 590 Mariner 12g

I will also print off a bunch of targets at work in 11"x17"

32. readymix

Steph would love you if you brought the 357MAG revolver, she's fallen in love with revolvers. That is, assuming she can make it out there for this...her work schedule sucks sometimes.

33. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

^^^ I'll bring it for sure. I haven't tried the .357 or +P rounds in it yet.

34. Musashi

Alright I got to half day at work so I'll be there for sure this time Feb 28. I don't have any hardware, but I do have green. So I'm looking forward to spending some time with you experts and learn a few things.

35. Wakaba

Wakaba BANNED

Don't feel bad, the half dozen or so times I have tried to offer even an ounce of advice people act as though I have NO idea what I am talking about.... so I just stopped trying.

Now I just mind my business and make .22" holes in paper, untill I find a place that will let me put a target at 500-800yrds. :(

36. ShortytheFirefighter

If it makes you feel any better I know you know what you're talking about :)

You weren't ever able to score me an ACOG by chance were you? ;)

37. Wakaba

Wakaba BANNED

I have to say, there was a guy at Burnsville Pistol this past Saturday that was very eager to listen to everything I was telling him about his AR. He and I were the only ones in the rifle bay so I gave him an abridged BRM class. He dropped about 3" off his grouping at 50 after some coaching. Didn't get his name, or exchange numbers but he was a cool guy.

I do have the one pictured here in the factory box with the ARMS II flip up rear sight. I might be persuaded to sell for the right price ;) You could tell your friends that your ACOG has 7 confirmed :eek3:

[​IMG]

38. ShortytheFirefighter

That is a very, very tempting offer indeed. :eek:

Are you coming on the 28th? I'd love to take a look at it, and I'm always open for instruction. I'll let you play with my .450, I think you'll like it :)

PM me the price on the ACOG. I want to get a .223 upper with my tax money and that'd be just about perfect to throw on top.

39. Wakaba

Wakaba BANNED

Long guns just require the FFL to call in and get the FBI check done, you can take the fire arm home that day.

Pistols reqire the waiting period and the deeper back ground check, and maybe a class...

You have PM.

My receiver is at remington getting a couple new barrels fitted (.308win 22" bull 1:10", .44mag 20", and .30-06 20" heavy 1:10"), so I wouldn't be able to bring my .243win or .223rem out to play. All I have at the house is a couple boring as hell .22's.... maybe I can pull out the K98K and see if anyone wants to destroy their shoulder :laugh:

40. Dynapar

Theres nothing wrong with a .22. I have been eyeing the Buckmark UXR at Cabelas. Very nice lookin .22 pistol, cheap to shoot compared to my other guns.

41. twofiveRS

Received my permit to purchase today. :biggrin:
    I'm in for the 28th.

Since this was on my mind, does one need to bring targets? buy them there? do they provide them?

42. EBR15

EBR15 Well-Known Member

You can buy them there. They are kind of expensive, ($1+ ?) but they have a fun variety.

I found a place online that sells a bunch of different kinds really cheap and spent about $50 there. I'm good for about a decade. :laugh:

43. ShortytheFirefighter

I've updated the OP to add more people/boomsticks.

Who else is in?

44. Wakaba

Wakaba BANNED

WTF is this "permit to purchase" thing all about? I need a background check to buy a rifle now?

45. readymix

Nope only handguns. Non-SBR rifles shouldn't require anything but a valid ID and an over the phone background check. You should be able to walk out of the store with the rifle that day.