Why does subaru put Rare tires on their cars?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Parrot, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parrot

Parrot Well-Known Member

At least on the 06. Its a Bridgestone 205/55R/16 Potenza RE92A...its a special order tire. So I blew it out with only 2000 miles on the car. I have to leave on Thursday to go to Michigan. No place has it.

Anyone have an extra?

2. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

get rid of all of them and get any other tires.

The potenza RE92 is a very crappy tire. I'd replace them asap anyways.

3. Parrot

Parrot Well-Known Member

i plan on it. what would you recommend?

4. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I thought the 06's had 17" wheels on them.

5. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

what tire to recommend is a whole nother can of worms. If you want one tire for all year, then I can't help you much. If you want winter tires and summer tires there is much more I can recommend.

6. rabbit69

rabbit69 New Member

I would reccomend BF Goodrich Traction T/A H rated

7. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

ahh you are the guy with that 06 2.5 i that we had to order the tire for

8. Parrot

Parrot Well-Known Member

yeah, and i've heard from a ton of people that those tires suck and they are overpriced.

plus i thought the tire had a defect and Subaru should replace it at no cost.
    because there was no nail or cut to the tire. instead the tire costs about 170 plus labor.

i want to know what a good year round tire is so i can trust it. i mean after 2000 miles the tires should not have blown out.

9. Parrot

Parrot Well-Known Member

what about Kumho Ecsta ASX

OR

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

10. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

if you cant swing a new set now, just replace the one and save $$ for a set of winters to mount on your stocker rims.

when spring next year rolls arround order some 17's and a good summer tire.

imo

11. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

so make sure to burn all of the tread of your stockers this summer so arent wasting any tread when you take them off to put winters on.

12. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

for an all season i like the Potenza g009. very nice wet traction, pretty good snow ice too.

13. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

The reason they use such rare tires is so that we parts guys can keep stuffing our mattresses full of cash ;)

Just kidding. If you want some good ideas on some decent all seasons, the Nokian WR, the Continental ContiExtremeContact, the Pirelli PZero Nero and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are some that I've driven on personally and they all were a decent tire. All season tires are a compromise, some will have better dry performance, some better wet performance and some have better snow performance than others. They'll all give up performance to a dedicated summer or winter tire. PM me if you've got any questions, there are several good sites you can do research on tires and find the one you think will work.

14. rabbit69

rabbit69 New Member

whatever tire you get, make sure you get the right speed rating.

15. Parrot

Parrot Well-Known Member

thanks guys. i appreciate it

16. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

I have used these two tires (Nokian WR and Continental ContiExtremeContact) before and swear by it. For the dollars vs. value, you can't go wrong with the Conti... but if longevity and price isn't an issue... go with the Nokians.

17. stoooo

stoooo Well-Known Member

I put Nokian WRs on my 2.5RS and the wife's Windstar. They've been great. They seem to ride out the slushy stuff very well, and they don't suffer from tramping when the harder packed snow is rutted; they just cut right through it. But going isn't what I got these for, I got them for stopping. So far this winter, my ABS hasn't kicked in at all, and I've only had it kick in once on the Windstar. Last winter the ABS on the Windstar was on more than it was off, which made it very scary to drive.

And, there's a place just around the corner from me in Eden Prairie that is one of the few Nokian dealers in the area, which made them very easy to get hold of.

Bye for now,
    Stuart.

18. bikerwriter

bikerwriter Well-Known Member

Hey, let's go for broke and recommend Yokohama Advans? Get some aftermarket wheels and mount those Evo tires!

Or duplicate an STi setup.

:D

19. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

I'd recommend the Nokian WRs as well. Used them in Europe and loved them!! For other all-seasons that seem to work well the Falken Ziex 512s are decent and channel water very nicely.

For summer use I'd suggest finding a barely used set of Bridgestone RE070s from the STi. GREAT summer tire and most guys are selling them for super cheap b/c "the ride is too rough."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.