why no production P2!!!!?!!

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by 9blackmax6, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9blackmax6

9blackmax6 Well-Known Member

i found this on NASIOC and it says subaru is dead in WRC. this didnt set me off, what did was a comment a gentleman made about the Subaru Prodrive P2. after thinking this over i am absolutely furious with Subaru
    here is the link to nasioc: and if you scroll down i am "gunny11218" im a subie newbie.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24103332&posted=1#post24103332

i agrue that the P2 could have possibly put subaru on the map when it comes to keeping up with luxury sports cars. i truly think that was subaru's (probably only one) window to shine and to entirely broaden the customer base. read my post over their and discuss. for those of you r tards that dont know what the P2 is simple sit back and have plently of napkins ready:

PS sorry for the lack of imbedding the video. im too lazy and my computer internet here at work is too slow.

discuss. this thread can lead anywhere. from past to future to wrc but just so you know i dont know a whole lot about wrc. tell me your thoughts because i know most of you would have wanted to see the P2 or something like it be put into production

2. Sky58

Sky58 Well-Known Member

To specify, it doesn't say that Subaru is quitting the WRC. Just someone's opinion that they're dead if they don't make changes.

3. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

First sentence of the YouTube description This is a car developed by ProDrive.

4. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Yep.

Try doing some research on the P2 before you go nuts over it. It was a one off car developed and built by Prodrive to show off their skills. It was never going to production. It wasn't built by Subaru at all. It uses a Subaru R1 platform custom altered by Prodrive. It doesn't belong to Subaru, therefore Subaru can't sell it, market it or produce it. And Prodrive isn't in the business of selling production passenger cars.

5. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

well not for street use, they are a big player in the DB runners right now ;)

6. readymix

I said production passenger cars.

Aston Martin race cars and Prodrive built subaru rally cars are NOT production passenger vehicles designed for public transportation.

7. curly2k3

i'd drive them on the streets.

8. readymix

OK, Russian, keep arguing your stupid point.

9. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

+100. If I could buy them I most definately would. Aston DBR9 for pavement, and a WRC STi for the winterz.

You are right though, Prodrive will most likely never make a production car. They specialize in modifying cars for racing not producing new cars.

10. 9blackmax6

^^if prodrive is so 'buddy buddy' with subaru why couldnt they work out a deal to put that or something like it into production?

11. readymix

For one, the P2 was never produced for the purpose of production, it was to prove a point that Prodrive engineers could design and build a car.
    Another reason would be R&D for real world driving. The P2 is a very rough concept car. They did nothing in the way of crash testing or on road safety testing for the car. So they would have to develop the tooling to factory produce the car, then do all the crash testing and road safety testing. Which would add alot to the eventual cost of the car. And then Subaru would have to contend with the sale of such a thing. Since the car would cost around 70,000 to the consumer, Subaru would have to find a way to sell a 70,000 dollar Subaru to consumers. It would likely end up a niche car and not sell well since Subaru's marketing and corporate direction isn't really geared towards sports cars, and consumers don't see Subaru as a sports car company.

12. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Oh how i love sht storms

13. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Also, the turbo only lasts, what, 10k miles?? Anti-lag AND not running any sort of blowoff or recirc valve is kinda detrimental to the life of the whistling snail.

"...it sounds like squirrels in a blender..." - Jeremy Clarkson

14. curly2k3

its the antilag that does in the turbo, from what i have been told, a bunch of P1s were actually sold without them as well

15. AWDimprezaL

I dont find it that heartbreaking. I hope everyone survives.

16. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

The internet is going to be the downfall of man. Mark my words.

17. manochromatic

manochromatic Member

dude..yould drive an obs wagon on the streets.... oh wait...you do!

18. readymix

Going to be? I've been saying this for the last 3 years. I'm glad someone else is finally seeing it.

19. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Between the internet and MTV we've been headed down the drain at an ever increasing pace.

I'm betting the new 2 door being developed is going to be the WRC chassis when it comes out. I can't imagine another reason Subaru would go after something like that.

20. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Exactly. And its in the order of millions of dollars.

21. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

They could, but they won't.....get over it ;)

22. 9blackmax6

I cant! im tellin you that is subaru's window to the luxury sports car world.

23. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

Subaru doesn't want to be in the luxary sports car world...they know they would not compete! They are doing just fine right now as a company. As for competing in the WRC, well that sucks!

24. 9blackmax6

yea but you all know that it would be nice if people would start to recognize subaru as somewhat like infinity or something like that. they are starting to kind of with the interior they put in the tribeca's and forester's the legacy is a nice automobile too for a person who likes nice things.

25. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

2 completely different markets! Never gonna happen, and I'd rather not have subaru be associated with a brand like Infinity

26. readymix

All car makers are upping the quality of their interiors. It's because people want cushy interiors. Subaru included. Subaru isn't going to jump into the luxury sports car arena because they don't have the lineup to support it.

27. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

P2? Luxury? um....no. The P2 is a justy with a rocket shoved up it's backside. it's like an AWD Exige.....it's not a lexus.

28. Mekhem

Mekhem Well-Known Member

IIRC there was some speculation that the P2 was going to be the platform for the "Next", now current, STI. IE prodrive builds the performance mule and Subaru develops that into the prod car. Prodrive as design and engineering house and Subaru produces en masse.

29. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Do you have any idea how the car market works? For every one Subaru sold there are ten Hondas sold. Subaru does not have the market share to even attempt such a venture like a luxury mark.

30. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Id even say that the Subaru to Honda/Toyota is much greater than ten. I also feel that some younger kids look at Subaru and only see the WRX and STI, well there are far more NA grocery getter Subaru's out there than performance orientated ones on the roads. Car clubs like this, Nasioc, Clubwrx, IWSTI, ... skew that though with all the modded and built cars. I have many reasons why I bought my Subaru and performance was at the lower end. I like safety, I also enjoy the feature of AWD not to mention the fact that there is a serious lack of electronic operated crap in the cabin of my car. Overall yes my car is faster than when I bought it but the main reasons why I bought it are still function and it continues to be a usefully everyday passenger car.

31. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

^ Quit talking out your ass. The numbers say ten to one. Don't blow it up larger than it is.

Yes, the web BS skews things and make your average internet retard think that performance is a bigger deal than it really is. There are only 200k members on NASIOC, when compared to the actual number of subarus sold in the U.S., its very small. Subaru is in the business of selling cars. Not catering to a limited market.

32. AWDimprezaL

If subaru wants to get into the luxury (which they wont) they are NOT gonna get there by making this automobile. I like subaru because of 1 reason, they are not like any other cars on the road. Not because of luxury, or even performance.

33. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

legacy spec b not good enough?

34. tux121

tux121 Well-Known Member

I bet if the P2 was put into production, the retail price would not put a smile on my face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.