why No waves from fellow Subie owners?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by SILVERwrx69, Jun 18, 2010.

1. SILVERwrx69

SILVERwrx69 Member

i just moved back from cali, and when ever i pass someone in a subie, i wave. they just look at me like i'm a retard. No subie love up here in MN?

2. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

1st question.... are you wearing a helmet when you wave at them?

View attachment 22466

Yeah some people are "too cool"
    but there are a lot of people who show the love.

3. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

also what kind of subaru's are u waving at?? up here alot of the people up here unless they are driving either a wrx or a sti wont wave because they dont understand it or they are just plain old. up by me ive had meybe 2 people wave back. even people driving wrx's up here either dont see me or dont wave back. almost always get a return wave in the metro area though

4. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I always figured it had to do with how many subarus are around these parts. Were there any fewer out west? My wife gets some waves in her forester from other women driving foresters.... but I don't think its for the same reasons :)

5. John16V

John16V Well-Known Member

Wave at any GC you see I bet they will wave back at ya! ;)

6. JasonoJordan

been a few up north here that i have waved at and they did not. but they were drove by some older people that im not sure understood what was going on.

7. LEGGY_WARRIOR13

LEGGY_WARRIOR13 New Member

I wave to everyone :hsugh:

8. jmyhre05

jmyhre05 Well-Known Member

yeah i only wave to turbo subys... legecy gts, wrxs, stis....ect. but most of them have mean looks on there face or dont even try to look... but i get a lot of love from people in wagon wrx's!! my old one was a bug eye wagon wrx and i always got a wave or a rev smile atleast from other wagons! but depending on what city you live in there are a lot of stuck up people in certain areas ive noticed that i wont list... haha

9. xveganxcowboyx

xveganxcowboyx Well-Known Member

I'll wave if I see you cruising the capital city as long as you're not driving a Tribeca. It takes like 5 minutes for my brain to recognize one as a Subaru. For the rest of them though, I've got the wave ready. I'm waiting for the day I forget what I'm driving and motorcycle wave two fingers right in to my door panel.

10. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

I used to get waved at in my wrx, but less in my 04 forester xt, and well its like I fell off the planet of subaru love in my na legacy

11. supercooloptw

supercooloptw Well-Known Member

I tend to only wave at modded Subies and then about only half the time I get a wave back.

I honestly get more waves from modded VW's. I think they like the hatch.

12. thunderdan1313

thunderdan1313 New Member

i never get waves or people look at me funny when i flash my lights. iv only gottin one way and that was from willC.
    red lgtwagon

13. chris-04wrx

chris-04wrx Active Member

I try and wave or give a thumbs up when I see something that catches my eye. Don't think I've ever gotten a return wave yet.

14. Silvia_k's

Silvia_k's New Member

you guys think you have it bad!? I think the world would be a much better place if everyone would do simple friendly things like wave, but I get no reply waves in my 96 impreza outback wagon. Everyone on the road waves to me in my Silvia, but I'm chopped liver when I'm in the meat hook!

15. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Apparently the 2010 LGT isn't sexy enough to draw any attention. Not a single wave yet. In fact, the only time I noticed being noticed was some random audi TT who seemed to want to race up 100, which I thought was a little odd.

I kinda like it that way, incognito and all...

16. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Not only that, but if you check the spotted thread, it seems the same 5 people spot each other every day or so. I've had my car for 3 years now, and I've only been spotted once by my neighbor on a highway. Readymix has one of the loudest Subarus on this board, and is probably the most recognizable, but nobody spots him either. Even if we pass another Subie. EVEN if we get a wave from the other subie!

There was one time where I think Techy101 saw me. I got honked at by a black forester in downtown minneapolis.

And yes, if you wave, most people just look at you like "wtf are you doing waving at me? I don't know you!" welcome to MN. :p

17. burtonboy00

burtonboy00 Well-Known Member

I wave at anything with a scoop or anything that looks modded, again not many waves back but whatever maybe it will catch on eventually.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

18. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Part of the increasing problem is that alot of the cars that historically were purchased by Subaru 'love' types back in the late 90's and early 2000's are now hitting the used market at very VERY low prices. So, there are alot of jackass kids buying these things. And alot of the kids these days have a very different attitude. Early on, I think the wave started because you knew you were driving something unique and cool, and it was completely incognito about the delivery of that uniqueness. The average driver on the road couldn't distinguish your car from any other vehicle, but you knew it was an AWD plaything. Alot of the kids that are picking up the early 2000's WRXs grew up on Gran Turismo and Fast and Furious, and it's all competition hardassery. And at this point, everyone knows that there are turbocharged AWD cars on the road, so it's no secret how cool your car is.

The thing I hate the most is pulling up along side someone with a WRX of any year, and having them slouch in their chair, throw one arm over their steering wheel so that their arm obscures their face, and try to roll all hard without making eye contact or waving. That seating position is how I remember the toolbag ricer kids in the body kitted Civics back in SoCal. You try to look like a tough ass and pretend you are too hot **** to acknowledge anyone or anything around you.

Get off my lawn.

19. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

In rural Minnesota practically everyone on county roads will wave at every car...especially if they are driving a tractor. I would wave at readymix if I knew what he drove just on the basis of his love of grammar and spelling.

20. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I drive a silver 04 WRX. You can't miss it. It sounds like death coming down the road, and it looks like an evo had sex with an impreza

21. 02subbieRS

02subbieRS Well-Known Member

I don't get too much subbie love either :( It could just be that mine is stock but that shouldn't matter. It's the principle of sharing your love for the brand :)

22. dustin8511

dustin8511 Member

LOL, thats fricken hilarious!!

23. Ninja 4 Life

Ninja 4 Life Well-Known Member

I apologize to the 2 guys I had wave to me recently; I caught it too late as youdrove by. I’ll wave back to anyone in the Subi family. One was in Burnsville, a black 08-09 WRX wagon; I noticed the wave and MN swoosh after it was too late. Another was a white 08-09 WRX wagon in Bloomington on 35W. Sorry guys, I was not trying to ignore you, just missed it in passing.

24. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

You were trying to ignore, don't lie ;)

25. Ninja 4 Life

Ninja 4 Life Well-Known Member

Ok you caught me.:p I forgot to add the wave back last post, so I will do it now. :wavey:

26. SILVERwrx69

SILVERwrx69 Member

wow bringing this thread back, cant believe this topic got two pages. its winter time so lets get people waving again

27. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

I only wave at other tribecas, or any of you jackasses that I know.

28. SILVERwrx69

SILVERwrx69 Member

everyone in cali that drives a subie waves, even the old folks.

29. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

I usually drive all slouched over in my seat with my arm just dangling over the steering wheel. I call it "doing the limp wrist". It's totally cool and let's everyone know that I am aloof and care free, but that I'll **** **** up if I have to. I'm from the streets.

30. SILVERwrx69

SILVERwrx69 Member

i dont get what your trying to say?

31. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

^^ He means this

[​IMG]

32. EBR15

EBR15 Well-Known Member

33. G_2.5rs

G_2.5rs Well-Known Member

i mostly get waves except by those newer sti's and wrx's

34. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

^^^Is that X to the Z!? Lol

That is not the proper limp wrist thing, and he is leaning to the wrong side...but his necklace says Boss Hogg, so I guess he can do it however he wants.

I have tried to wave at people while in my sweet truck, and I am pretty sure they all thought I was some crazy hick, mocking them for driving Japanese cars...

35. 05subieGT

05subieGT Well-Known Member

I dont wave to N/A subau's...(sorry for those with N/A) because most of em are old women. i usually try and catch up to turbo subies and i want to wave but the're usually old guys and they look angry...im happy when i drive mine! id wave back

36. JasonoJordan

last few i have waved at didnt wave back either and they were of the younger generation (30 or younger.)

37. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

LOL...you've seen both my wife and me then. Her: NA Outback and I am not saying her age since I know what is good for me. Me: Legacy GT, and I am 53 and bitter...bald too (might be what caused the bitterness...or it was work...or the general a$$holiness of the world). And stay off my lawn!

38. slacker

slacker Well-Known Member

i try to see who'se driving...if they're more of the "older" (no pun intended), i don't wave. but, i do try to wave at subi owners, when i see them...

39. gieri002

gieri002 Well-Known Member

I'll wave back to you!

40. SILVERwrx69

SILVERwrx69 Member

i think the whole time i have been back to mn i probably only have one person wave back at me.

41. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

I usually stalk them to their house and give them a hand shake.

42. DoughtCom

DoughtCom Well-Known Member

I really miss the 90's early 00's when you would have an RS 2.5 or a LGT and everyone was so happy to see each other on the road.

43. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

I still get waves, even in my new (more ghetto) wagon... I think I got 5 or 6 thumbs ups besides waves on the way back from Iowa before the heads gave out in my sedan. Maybe I just generally drive more like a tool (I do speed excessively, consistently) so people are just happy I'm not a Prius?

44. 05subieGT

05subieGT Well-Known Member

I have started to see a ton of subaru's since i bought mine, but they are mostly N/A's. dont see many turbo ones, i especially never get to see LGT's rollin around i always see one in MPLS but its parked, its white and debadged, i also saw one like a two months ago it was black and had an exhaust, it was just purchased by some guy he was driving with his girlfrand

45. SILVERwrx69

SILVERwrx69 Member

i thought i didnt get any waves in my wrx. i really dont get any waves in my forester