Why Rota Wheels Suck

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Vila, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vila

Vila New Member

I have to vent here a little bit. Rota ticks me off, not the product quality - the company.

I have winter tires on my stock 2002 WRX rims and Falken rubber on my Rota sub-zeros for summer. Back in Fall 2005, I took a little trip backwards down an embankment and dented one of my Sub-zeros on the curb on the way. I had silver Subzeros at the time. 6 months after I bought the silver sub-zeros, Rota no longer made them. They were only available in a new color - "Polished" silver. So, I ok'd the color change and my insurance company bought me 4 new rims to they would all match. I got shipped 4 "grey" color sub-zeros. Ok. No problem. They look good. I didn't say anything.

This spring, I let my best man drive us home in my car after my bachelor party. He tries to whip it around a street corner, and ends up hitting the opposite side street curb. He gouged the left rear rim and it actually was bent in on the lip. I call around everywhere to find 1 new grey Rota sub-zero in my size. No dice, so I have Vivid Racing order me one from the factory. They said it would take 3 months since it is factory ordered.

Now understand, I used to be a big Vivid Racing customer. But, some years back, they didn't apply a promised discount on my order twice in a row. I stopped buying from them. This Rota order was their chance to win me back. They blew that.

3 months after ordering (and paying) for the new rim, I call them to get a status on the order. They don't have much of an update for me. I then call them every other business day for 5 weeks for a status update. All I get is "Rota in the Philippines is waiting for more orders to ship to the US in bulk." After 5 weeks of calls, I ask to speak to the manager. He says "Rota is waiting for more orders to BUILD the rims in bulk." 4-1/2 months and the rim is not even made yet???

So, I cancelled the order. Now I have 3 "Silver"sub-zeros and 3 "grey" sub-zeros in my basement. None on order. If you own Rota wheels like me because they are cheap, then you are mistaken. My plan was to buy cheap rims should I ever need to replace a broken one - it won't cost much. That doesn't work. I can't find 1 replacement rim of the same color twice within 1 year!

Sorry for the rant, but I am very frustrated.

Vila

2. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

It isn't Rota's job to keep making wheels because you and your friends can't competantly pilot an automobile.
    And Vivid Racing has been a scummy company since at least 2004. You should call SubyDude the #1 Rota dealer in the US. He usually stocks pretty much every Rota wheel. And if he doesn't have it, he gets them quickly.
    Every wheel company discontinues styles and finishes of wheels to keep the product line fresh.
    And if you really wanted to be smart, you could go pick up a couple cans of Duplicolor wheel coating and spray your wheels to silver, gold, bronze, black, or whatever...and then spray on a couple coats of clear coat. Then you'd have 6 matching wheels. Who wouldn't love to have a fullsized spare?!
    I think you need to sit down and take a deep breath and try to make a coherent, rational thought. Rather than going off on some wheel company from Singapore about their sound business plan of making new wheels because it doesn't fit in well with your plan of curbing them every year.

3. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

oh snap!

lol.

5. Vila

Vila New Member

My point being one of the reasons I bought Rota's was one rim would be cheap and easy to replace. It has been proven to not be eay to replace.

I was planning on using Subey Dude to re-order the grey wheel. That is where I got the 4 grey ones from before.

Vila

6. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

hey, my car has 4 gunmetal subzeros on it. I know what its like. Maybe if i sell it you can buy the wheels off of it and you'd have enough to last a lifetime

=]

7. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Yea, I know a lot of people who buy 5 aftermarket wheels when they order them just incase they damage one.

8. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Deride, were you the one who ordered the Wiseco pistons? Or was that piddster? I can't remember...I know this is OT, but wtmotherf?! They are taking forever.

9. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Dan (piddster) did, I haven't ordered mine yet.

10. austinpike

austinpike Well-Known Member

two silvers on one side, two grey on the other, and you have a spare for each. No one will know the difference except you. ;)

11. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I'm looking at some 5Zigens, but they don't have my BRONZE ones in stock...damnits!

so I got this deal on some STi BBS wheels....used '04 Silvers..for $815shipped....neat eh?

12. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

that's what I was thinking. I bet they'd be hard to tell the difference unless they were side by side. and if you had them matching on either side, you'd never see 2 different colored wheels at once (unless you break a tie-rod...but I doubt that's going to happen :eek3: )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.