Wierd *Can a bad Acid reflux/heart burn feel like your having a Heart attack?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sogonerg, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Just curious...Cause this morning my mother in law went to the hospital around 6am (She felt weak, left side of her body felt num and was about to faint) Rushed her to the emergency room and around 2pm, we found out it was just serious heartburn...SHe's at home now taking malox...

2. SubieDave

SubieDave Well-Known Member

I've experienced both heartburn and acid reflux, but nothing I've felt has ever compared to what you just described. Numbness? Doesn't sound right

3. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

she said her left side felt num...It was around 4am, kinda wierd it would act up at that time of day...hard time sleeping

4. ceci96

ceci96 Member

My dad has severe acid reflux and that happens to him all the time.

5. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

^did he end up in the hospital?

6. whipsack

whipsack Well-Known Member

yes it can. heartburn and indigestion are very common problems that people go to the ER thinking they have heart issues/ heart attack. Still as always better safe than sorry. The best thing you can do if you are not sure is seek medical attention FAST. There are numerous stories of people that think they are just having heartburn/ indigestion and actually are going into cardiac arrest.

7. Ej22TIM

Ej22TIM Well-Known Member

my dad THOUGHT this was happening, but it turned out he was having a heart attack.

be careful

8. whipsack

whipsack Well-Known Member

yeah nothing you ever want to screw around with. don't even second guess. just get help right away.

9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I thought left side numbness was a stroke :???:

10. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

the numbness part was a mystery when she said that...But everything checked out ok...Unity kept her for a few more hours after the testing to make sure nothing is wrong...As of tonight she feels better, just a close call...My father-in-law went in with the same issue and ended up with a stitch 2 yrs. ago, he actually had a mild heart attack. So I guess my mother-in-law freaked out as well when it happened to her.

11. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

I had the same problem for a long time. I finally went in to the doctor when it put me on my knees and the wife saw me and forced me to go. Now I take Prilosec daily and it has made a world of difference. So yes all those symtoms are quite possibly acid reflux.

12. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

left arm tingling is a heart attack (usually)

13. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

This is exactly how my Dad died. Thought it might be a heart attack, went to the doctor. They told him it was acid reflux and to take some tums. After it really didn't go away he proceded to go to a bunch of doctors (6-7 of them) that kinda gave him the same story. One morning it was real bad and by time he made it to the doctor it was too late.

So I would say, watch it very closely and ALWAYS get a 2nd opinion. C'mon Ray, you should know better by now, away get the 2nd opinion.

Russ

14. Mike Wagner

Mike Wagner New Member

My father also thought he had severe heart burn and it turned out to be heart attack while he was on a bike ride. Depending on the age of the patient and other family history, it is nothing to play around with.

15. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Her kids (my wife, sisters, brothers) and myself already mentioned it to her...It was the numness part that triggered the get another appointment...I've said my peace

16. bikerwriter

bikerwriter Well-Known Member

My dad did have acid reflux bad enough he thought he was having a heart attack. While waiting for the ambulance they had him lie on his back, thus making it worse. Two days in the hospital for observation confirmed it.

Common cause is eating very late before going to bed. It allows the acid to move up and damage the lining (no gravity to keep stuff down).

17. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

she hasn't eaten for majority of the day too...she felt sick before this happened.

18. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

with a stroke part of your face will lose control and will look droopy. FAST is what you want to remember

Face - will droop
    Appendiges - loose control
    Speach - slured
    Time - get help fast.

As for acid reflux and heart attacks, I have had my fair share of scares with the heart problems I have went through.

One day I had a sharp pain in the center of my chest after moving a 48" plasma by myself, ... I thought it would go away, but after 3 hours it did not. I called my sister in law who is a PA she asked a bunch of questions and said I probably pulled something. Well I freaked out about it the rest of the day. WOTboy can confirm cuz that was the day we did the injector swap. The next day I saw my chriopractor (neighbor) and I dislocated one of my ribs.

But that was the closest I have came to actually thinking I was having a heart attack.